Fabricating dust covers?

Old March 8th 08, 08:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Fabricating dust covers?

datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:

moooo?

http://cheesebyhand.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/holstein_jersey.jpg

Old March 8th 08, 10:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
meb[_78_]

Tom Sherman Wrote:
datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:

moooo?

http://cheesebyhand.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/holstein_jersey.jpg

The cattle could probably use some dust covers.

--
meb

Old March 9th 08, 07:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

meb writes:

I've had some cones work themselves loose on a Dynacraft rear wheel
resulting in enough play to cause the dust cover under the freewheel
to get mangled. ... I was wondering is it possible to just cut a disc
from metal or plastic or cardboard of appropriate diameter to cover
the bearings ....

Maybe they aren't even necessary. If you regularly (like, every year)
grease the bearings, nothing bad will probably happen. I lost my
pedal dustcap in 1987. Nothing bad happened for 8 long years, despite
the exposed bearings.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA, USA
Old March 10th 08, 11:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
meb[_79_]

Donald Gillies Wrote:
meb writes:

I've had some cones work themselves loose on a Dynacraft rear wheel
resulting in enough play to cause the dust cover under the freewheel
to get mangled. ... I was wondering is it possible to just cut a disc
from metal or plastic or cardboard of appropriate diameter to cover
the bearings ....

Maybe they aren't even necessary. If you regularly (like, every year)
grease the bearings, nothing bad will probably happen. I lost my
pedal dustcap in 1987. Nothing bad happened for 8 long years, despite
the exposed bearings.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA, USA

It's not the retaining the grease that's the problem as much as keeping
out the grime. Under the freewheel, it gets mighty grimey. I've
already replaced bearings and cones on that wheel once, so letting grime
in there would wear those components out prematurely.

The approaches suggested by Chalo and Werehatrack look like nice,
simple easily implemented solutions for keeping out the grime.

--
meb