Reinventing the wheel

Old December 7th 13, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Reinventing the wheel

On Saturday, December 7, 2013 4:07:27 AM UTC-8, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:

On Friday, December 6, 2013, Sepp Ruf wrote:

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

On Friday, December 6, 2013, Frank Krygowski wrote:

This Copenhagen Wheel is starting to look like more than vaporware.

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/12/06/...goes-sale-700/

I'll be interested in independent tests and reviews.

I wonder how much drag it has when not being used to help propel the bicycle?

Even when propelling there's that issue.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=151_1386280417

Oh, and see how the guy with the flashing light is SO much safer?!

SCNR.

Had to look at the video a couple of times to see where the flashing light was and which bike it was on.

Well, I guess the "expert" would instantly "fix" this by simply recommending

a much brighter, faster, and more wide-angled flasher.

I was initially trying to find a video indicating if the paint on that

Copenhagenize facility was a contributing factor. But my remark was

basically directed at the relative irrelevance of lighting details when

boldly venturing out in a serious storm...

http://www.dr.dk/tv/se/dr2-3/dr2-12-00-271#!/18:30

(flash)

It depends on the storm. In a snow storm, a bright flasher is helpful. Not a little blinky, though. That shot of ice reminded me of yesterday. I drove because I didn't have time to put on my studs. I felt like a whimp because another guy I work with rode on his Kenda fatty tires (forget the model) and remained upright. Oh well. I'm going to get my son's old bike outfitted with studs, lights etc. today so it's at the ready when we get snow again.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 7th 13, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i1_1386280417

[...]

I think a bright flasher is useful even in a rainstorm. Anything to help
visibility in those conditions would be useful. People always tell me that
they think the lack of traction in rain or snow is the problem. But it's
the lack of visibility that worries me.

--
duane
Old December 7th 13, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

Hi Duane.

The operative word is 'BRIGHT' but far too many cheap Chinese made lights that flash are either too dim or have too slow a flash interval to really be useful.

Cheers

Old December 7th 13, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

Btw I was just commenting on Jay's statement about snow storms. I think
flashers are good to get attention in all low light conditions. I'm not
convinced that they add much in broad daylight. I haven't seen any data
either way though.
--

duane
Old December 8th 13, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

Personal observation shows that in bright daylight especially in sunny daylight, most flashing lights are nearly invisible and are not noticed by anyone let alone noticed by distracted or harried drivers in their sealed metal vehicles. I'd hate to bet my life of being seen based on a cheap Chinese made light in flashing mode. You need a VERY BRIGHT light to be noticed in bright daylight.

Cheers
Old December 8th 13, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

I tend to agree. While we have DRL on all cars here in Quebec I've rarely
seen them on bikes. Same when riding in Ontario.

On the other hand, when I'm caught in a rain storm I put the flashers on.

--
duane
Old December 8th 13, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I'm surprised that this didn't occur to the designers before putting

it into production.

Phil uroff the loop: there's a small screw on the left side of the power supply control module