Weird Diameter MTB Sem.

Old December 9th 13, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Weird Diameter MTB Sem.

A while back I posted here about a strange MTB I bought used. U brake under the chainstays and all parts removed or adjusted with a 6 mm hex key. Bike was said to be circa 1985.

I went to put on a different stem 22.? mm but it was too big. Looked at the one on the bike and it's stamped 21.1 mm.

Anyone ever heard of such a size? Are they hard to get now?

Cheers
Old December 9th 13, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
:A while back I posted here about a strange MTB I bought used. U brake under the chainstays and all parts removed or adjusted with a 6 mm hex key. Bike was said to be circa 1985.

:I went to put on a different stem 22.? mm but it was too big. Looked at the one on the bike and it's stamped 21.1 mm.

:Anyone ever heard of such a size? Are they hard to get now?

Old american cruiser bike size is 13/16 (21.15mm). Stems are
available, but I don't know the range of sizes that's available, nor
what size bars they'll work with. Some bmx bikes used the size too.

--
It makes me feel good knowing that with extensive training, weight
loss and a large capital expenditure, I can fly further than a
Old December 9th 13, 11:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 8 Dec 2013 18:59:05 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

A while back I posted here about a strange MTB I bought used. U brake under the chainstays and all parts removed or adjusted with a 6 mm hex key. Bike was said to be circa 1985.

I went to put on a different stem 22.? mm but it was too big. Looked at the one on the bike and it's stamped 21.1 mm.

Anyone ever heard of such a size? Are they hard to get now?

Cheers

Somewhere I've seen reference to "but some older American bicycles
used 21.15 mm"
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old December 9th 13, 12:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:

A while back I posted here about a strange MTB I bought used. U brake
under the chainstays and all parts removed or adjusted with a 6 mm hex
key. Bike was said to be circa 1985.

I went to put on a different stem 22.? mm but it was too big. Looked at
the one on the bike and it's stamped 21.1 mm.

Anyone ever heard of such a size? Are they hard to get now?

Cheers

Somewhere I've seen reference to "but some older American bicycles
used 21.15 mm"

I remember reading this link when looking for a part for my old Bianchi:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/opc.html

--
duane
Old December 9th 13, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/8/2013 8:59 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
A while back I posted here about a strange MTB I bought used. U brake under the chainstays and all parts removed or adjusted with a 6 mm hex key. Bike was said to be circa 1985.

I went to put on a different stem 22.? mm but it was too big. Looked at the one on the bike and it's stamped 21.1 mm.

Anyone ever heard of such a size? Are they hard to get now?

Cheers

That's the "USA" format.
Less common than 22.2mm quill stems but certainly available

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

weird kid, weird coach habbywall Unicycling 2 August 1st 05 12:19 PM
hub diameter Kevin Techniques 1 July 10th 05 02:11 PM
Diameter on a Schmidt E6 B LSMike UK 4 May 16th 05 12:56 PM
Rim Diameter? Zipp 303 FasTrack Techniques 2 October 20th 04 07:27 PM
Spoke Diameter Gary Mishler Techniques 4 August 6th 04 03:17 PM