Shimano Nexus rear hub

Old December 20th 15, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Shimano Nexus rear hub

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 2:05:38 PM UTC, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/18/2015 6:13 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, December 18, 2015 at 4:03:31 PM UTC, sms wrote:
On 12/18/2015 5:44 AM, Duane wrote:
On 18/12/2015 12:31 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 17/12/15 19:53, wrote:
On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 8:18:35 PM UTC-6, John B. wrote:
but one guy says he has been using the geared hubs for 5 years with
no problems. John B.

All of my Shimano and Campagnolo 9 and 10 speed bikes are more than 5
years old and have never given me any problems. And are minimal
maintenance. It does not sound like these internal gear hubs are
very durable.

That would be 10,000 miles for me, if you can get a
chain/casette/chainring to last 10,000 miles you must be doing dry miles
only.

I'm up around 5000km with a SRAM 11 speed chain and that's the most I've
done with 10 or 11 speed bikes with Shimano or SRAM. But I'm averaging
5000 - 7000km per year.

Replacing wear items is very easy and relatively cheap. Replacing an
internally geared hub is complex and expensive. They have advantages,
but cost and service life are not two of them.

Jutes's Law of bicycle gears, pal. They can be cheap, capable of undemanding duty and short-lived in heavier duty, or expensive and long-lived whatever the duty. The key is spending the money in the right place in the first instance, because after a few years one of the options, the Rohloff, soldiering on, on an annual basis costs less than Shimano Nexus hub gearbox.

My Rohloff passed the point where it worked out cheaper per annum than a Shimano Nexus HGB four years ago.

That a Rohloff in the long term is a cheap gearbox is incontestable.

That a Shimano Nexus, and probably an Alfine too, can be a good longterm investment is proven by lots of experience in actual not overly demanding applications by commuters and suchlike. That the longterm outcome isn't guaranteed in the presence of harsh demands on the box is also known.

That's all news only to Americans. To Europeans it's yesterday's excitement.

What would actually be interesting, even exciting, to know is how well the NuVinci CVT stands up to hard use in the medium and longer term. I note with interest that the NuVinci has persuaded the financiers of at least one Irish metro brike share scheme that they can take the abuse of strangers.
http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/p...-and-limerick/ Same link I gave yesterday, if you've seen it already.

Andre Jute
Rational, always

We have happy customers riding NuVinci for several years now
but not a significant number and none with high mileage. No
complaints.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/NUVINCI.JPG

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

NuVinci probably has no reason to sponsor a long-range demolition derby of the sort that Rohloffs, which are in the main fitted to cross-country mud pluggers (1), indulge in daily.

Andre Jute
(1) The tourers with Rohloff boxes are a tiny minority. They only seem like a horde because they are so often opinion-leaders and -formers, progressive, articulate and persuasive, and because the luddites among the roadies -- and that's most of them -- have such a visceral reaction to the Rohloff and thus make it sound like a bigger threat to the established order than it really is. Some people just never know when to shut up.
Old December 20th 15, 06:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/19/2015 6:28 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
Some people just never know when to shut up.

Do tell.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 20th 15, 07:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 5:33:51 AM UTC, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/19/2015 6:28 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
Some people just never know when to shut up.

Do tell.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Here's the context of what I said which inspired to Franki-boy to agree roadies are luddites:
"The tourers with Rohloff boxes are a tiny minority. They only seem like a horde because they are so often opinion-leaders and -formers, progressive, articulate and persuasive, and because the luddites among the roadies -- and that's most of them -- have such a visceral reaction to the Rohloff and thus make it sound like a bigger threat to the established order than it really is. Some people just never know when to shut up." Gee, Franki-boy, if you're setting yourself up as my echo, at least start by agreeing with with me on something important.

Andre Jute
I do polemics for a living
Old December 20th 15, 12:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 08:22:51 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 12/19/2015 4:26 AM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 17:41:38 -0800, sms
wrote:

On 12/18/2015 4:04 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 16:37:35 -0800, sms
wrote:

On 12/17/2015 4:15 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

Maybe. After all they now carry batteries around so they don't have to
bother with manual shifting :-)

Well I was skeptical of the power-assisted shifting, but apparently it
really does benefit racers. And now there are devices you can add that
will do automatic shifting tailored to your preferences.

It's the idea that you have to recharge your derailleur batteries that I
have a hard time with. And when I was down in Morgan Hill at Specialized
last year, they mentioned that the preference was to save a few grams by
using a smaller battery that needed to be recharged more often.

I think that a dynamo that uses some magnets on the spindle could
generate sufficient energy to keep the battery charged, but that would
also add a few grams.

Funny, I was down to my local shop this morning and was looking at an
electric shift bike. Goodness, the shifters have two little levers to
push and the 'lectrics' move the derailer, just like my manual
shifters, you flick a finger and the gears change. But I suppose that
they let those with wimpy little fingers shift just like the big macho
guys with the strong hands.

Supposedly, with electronic shifting, you're more likely to shift into a
proper gear than to remain in a slightly less optimal gear. Also, there
are interfaces to the shifting system to automatically shift based on a
learning algorithm or on your manually inputted algorithm.

That is really hard for me to believe. Is it really that difficult to
shift a mechanical shifter.

It's not something I'd want, I'm trying to minimize extra gadgets, but
apparently it does work really well.

"Is it really that difficult to
shift a mechanical shifter?"

Not at all. The Ancients even used fingers before front
changers. That said, a test ride of a Campagnolo EPS bike
will astound you. Necessary? nope but very impressive.

A friend came up with a hand shifted front derailer (Simplex?) and had
it on one of his bikes. I asked him how he liked it and he reckoned it
was very useful. He used it on a bike that he rode on a two week
"tour" in north Thailand and said it was just as useful as the Shimano
"Brifter" he had on the right handlebar :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 20th 15, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Yo, Slow Johnny, here's a really good sprocket change video for the Shimano Nexus hub gearbox by a techie who knows what he's talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz-3PfboKTw

I also like the way he first identifies all the parts.

Andre Jute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz-3PfboKTwOn Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 12:28:36 PM UTC, John B. wrote:
I'm beginning to see these geared hubs on some of the cheaper flat bar
road bikes here and am sort of wondering whether they might be just
the thing for riding in Bangkok.

Bangkok is built on an alluvial plain and is essentially flat. The
largest "hills" I encounter riding here are the "hump back" bridges
and if a bike has three gears (assuming the right ratio) it would be
enough for the majority of my Bangkok riding.

Given the added complexities of the usual front/rear derailer system I
am wondering whether one of the various Shimano Nexus geared hubs
might not be "just the thing".

It seems to me that the chain would be similar to the old single speed
chains that lasted forever and no derailers to keep in tune and
sprockets and cogs to wear out.

I am thinking that a 5 or 7 speed hub would more then cover all city
riding assuming, of course, that the gear ratios were in the right
range. I believe that with an odd number of rear gears, probably 5 or
7, if the middle gear was, say 60 gear inches, and the ratios were in
say 10 - 15% steps that it would cover 99.9% of all the riding I do in
Bangkok.

Has anyone done this? Are rear cogs available in sufficient sizes to
be able to set up any initial gear ratio that one desires? Do the hubs
last? Any special loves/hates?

Any suggestions, advice?

--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 21st 15, 03:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 11:25:20 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/17/2015 12:53 PM, russecom wrote:
On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 8:18:35 PM UTC-6, John B. wrote:
but one guy says he has been using the geared hubs
for 5 years with no problems.
John B.

All of my Shimano and Campagnolo 9 and 10 speed bikes are more than 5 years old and have never given me any problems. And are minimal maintenance. It does not sound like these internal gear hubs are very durable.

There's no single answer.

My 1953 Sturmey gearbox has been rebuilt twice (1971 and
1998, mostly preventative cleaning/ inspection in that its'
never failed).
There are dead-after-one-season derailleur gear trains too.

different equipment, different riders, different mileage,
different environment, etc. Oh and as Mr Scheidt notes, salt.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

By the beard of Sheldon...
I sorely miss the days when a post mentioning Sturmey-Archer 3 speeds would bring immediate attention and posting from the great, late Jobst Brandt.
Sigh.

pH
Old December 21st 15, 07:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 20/12/15 22:32, Andre Jute wrote:
Yo, Slow Johnny, here's a really good sprocket change video for the Shimano Nexus hub gearbox by a techie who knows what he's talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz-3PfboKTw

I also like the way he first identifies all the parts.

The plastic parts are Voodoo if you don't follow the instructions for
lining them up again. And make *sure* they are locked back on. It's a
bummer to plong the wheel on, connect the shifter cable, and find it's a
loose as a whores drawers.

Old December 21st 15, 02:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/20/2015 8:14 PM, wrote:
[...]

We all miss his irascible genius. I learned many things from
Jobst, including a Sturmey failure mode I had not
considered. But then again:
http://www.tommygodwin.com/the-machine/

Old December 30th 15, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jakob Krieger

- John B. / Tue, 15 Dec 2015 13:28:11 +0100

I'm beginning to see these geared hubs on some of the cheaper flat bar
road bikes here and am sort of wondering whether they might be just
the thing for riding in Bangkok. [...]

It seems to me that the chain would be similar to the old single speed
chains that lasted forever and no derailers to keep in tune and
sprockets and cogs to wear out.

True. The chain-side is single-speed tech.

I am thinking that a 5 or 7 speed hub would more then cover all city

I formerly (last century, when I was young) owned a bike with
Torpedo 3-speed hub. The ratio of this was +- 30 % ... about
quite like the 1st, 3rd, and 5th gear of a 5-speed chain shift.

The newer hub shifts have even more ratio.

The downside is that the smaller mechanics that fits into a hub
can't stand racing forces. But this won't be a problem when you
use it to travel the town.

Has anyone done this? Are rear cogs available in sufficient sizes to
be able to set up any initial gear ratio that one desires? Do the hubs
last? Any special loves/hates?

There are several sizes available to adjust the 'middle gear' ratio.

And no, I hat no trouble ever with my old Torpedo hub
except kids laughing at it. New hub shifts aren't worse,
the concept is quite solid.

I'd prefer a 5-gear, not a 9-gear, because every speed needs a
complete planet-drive gearset inside of the hub, and the more
you pack into it, the tinier the single pieces get.

For a city bike, nothing is wrong about hub shift.

jk

--
no sig