Cellulose stronger than steel. Wood pulp stronger than CF.

Old January 5th 16, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Cellulose stronger than steel. Wood pulp stronger than CF.

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 20:24:29 -0800 (PST), Andre Jute
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 1:51:12 AM UTC, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 14:45:58 -0800 (PST), Andre Jute
wrote:

I sit corrected and I think you might mean an Apple Watch instead of a
Rolex.

Heh-heh. I don't wear a watch but I suppose I could strap a free Apple
watch to the handlebars of my bike to report my heart rate from my
Polar H7 sensor.
See right at the bottom: http://coolmainpress.com/andrejutewatches.html

Nice watch collection. I'm not sure how well a mechanical timepiece
might work on a bicycle which is subject to shocks and bounces.

Incidentally, on the topic of werewolves (1997):
http://members.cruzio.com/~jeffl/nooze/werewolf.txt

Congratulations on "computah".

That's a bit premature. I'll be happy when it shows up on the Google
trend and ngram counters:
https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=computah
https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=computer%2C+computah

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old January 5th 16, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 4:51:33 AM UTC, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Incidentally, on the topic of werewolves (1997):
http://members.cruzio.com/~jeffl/nooze/werewolf.txt

Witty story.

Andre Jute
Old January 5th 16, 07:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 08:17:20 -0800, sms
wrote:

On 1/3/2016 6:05 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
"Wood pulp extract stronger than carbon fiber or Kevlar"
http://www.gizmag.com/cellulose-nanocrystals-stronger-carbon-fiber-kevlar/23959/
Prepared properly, CNCs are stronger and stiffer than
Kevlar or carbon fibers...

"Biodegradable fibers as strong as steel made from wood cellulose"
http://www.gizmag.com/steel-strong-fibers-wood-cellulose/32432/
...claim to have developed a way to make cellulose fibers
stronger than steel on a strength-to-weight basis.

Soon everyone will be riding on wood pulp or cellulose fiber bicycles.

Can John drill holes in it?

Why ever not? After all, high strength material doesn't have to be
"hard" material.

But then, I would expect that is probably news to one who so obviously
knows so little about so many things.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 5th 16, 07:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 07:07:00 +1000, James
wrote:

On 05/01/16 03:17, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

http://www.gizmag.com/cellulose-nano...-carbon-fiber-
kevlar/23959/
Prepared properly, CNCs are stronger and stiffer than Kevlar or
carbon fibers...

"Biodegradable fibers as strong as steel made from wood cellulose"
http://www.gizmag.com/steel-strong-fibers-wood-cellulose/32432/
...claim to have developed a way to make cellulose fibers stronger
than steel on a strength-to-weight basis.

Soon everyone will be riding on wood pulp or cellulose fiber bicycles.

Without reading the article :

Just read between the lines.

Stronger then steel on a strength to weight basis isn't very spectacular
and no reason at all to use on a bicycle.

Strength to weight ratio is also known as specific strength:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_strength
Click on the "specific strength" column heading to sort by specific
strength. Scraping the data for cycling relevant materials:

Material Specific Strength
kN-m/kg
Carbon Fiber 2457
Glass Fiber 1307
Balsa Wood 521
Bainite 321
Titanium 228
Aluminum 204 (7075-T6)
Stainless Steel 63.1 (304)

Simple Alu is at least twice as strong as steel on a strength to weight
basis.

Nope. Bainite and 7075-T6 are about the strongest steel and aluminum
alloys available. Looks like steel is about 50% stronger on the basis
of tensile strength to weight ratio.

The value for carbon fibre is a little misleading I suspect. I doubt it
takes into account the mass of the glue used to keep the fibres together
- without which Carbon Fibre is not very useful.

Balsa Wood however....

The number (above) for Carbon Fiber is the usually quoted figure for
the carbon fiber itself. A Carbon Fiber composite would be less
although how much less depends on the specific composite.

While I don't have the numbers for a strength to weight ration the
tensile strengths for various materials a

Carbon steel (1090) - 650 MPa
Aluminum - 248
Carbon Fiber - 4127
Carbon Fiber Laminate - 1600

Note this is the tensile strength at deformity, not ultimate, and some
materials deform to a larger amount before failure. Glass, for example
deform very little before failure while most metals will deform
greatly before failure.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 6th 16, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

"Wood pulp extract stronger than carbon fiber or Kevlar"
http://www.gizmag.com/cellulose-nanocrystals-stronger-carbon-fiber-kevlar/23959/
Prepared properly, CNCs are stronger and stiffer than
Kevlar or carbon fibers...

"Biodegradable fibers as strong as steel made from wood cellulose"
http://www.gizmag.com/steel-strong-fibers-wood-cellulose/32432/
...claim to have developed a way to make cellulose fibers
stronger than steel on a strength-to-weight basis.

Soon everyone will be riding on wood pulp or cellulose fiber bicycles.

After reading about how to make micro fibers and then bind them into
larger strands I suspect that the NEW$ bikes will likely cost more
then carbon fiber :-)
--
cheers,

John B.