10 SP racer.

Old July 4th 17, 03:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default 10 SP racer.

On 2017-07-03 18:17, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 03 Jul 2017 07:34:01 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-07-02 14:43, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 4:31:56 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote: Snipped
Then you should know that it is easy not to hear an approaching
Yamaha, KTM or Suzuki on rocky singletrack sections. In time, so as
to avoid a scary situation or a head-on collision.

[...]

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

The dirt bikes that I hear are quite some distance away when I first
hear them. Theose dirt bikes are quite LOUD when they're being ridden
off road.

Right, they have so many head-on crashes because they hear each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-sCMFrZNjA

The ones between MTB and dirt bike look uglier. I came close with an
opposing KTM once and don't want to experience that again.

And in the slow motion repeat of the crash it clearly shows that the
bike did not avoid the 4 wheel vehicle. If you are going to demand
"your share" of the road then it is best to be the biggest dog in the
bunch.

Unfortunately that's how many of them ride. When it is MTB against dirt
biker the MTB rider generally loses.

Hence I ride with the full Klieg light on when I get to sections that
carry a risk of not noticing opposing traffic.

Old July 4th 17, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-07-03 17:55, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/3/2017 4:23 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/3/2017 2:27 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Monday, July 3, 2017 at 12:16:36 PM UTC-7, Ian Field wrote:
"John B." wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 21:20:40 -0400, Radey Shouman
wrote:

"Ian Field" writes:

"John B." wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 11:28:34 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/30/2017 9:20 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 11:11:10 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/29/2017 10:07 PM, John B. wrote:

I installed LED lights throughout the house. I have the feeling
that
the brightness is not what the side of the LED box says it
is :-)

In addition, changing every light in the house resulted in a
barely
noticeable decrease in the monthly light bill. Hardly worth
it on a
dollar basis.

I think the difference in electric bills depends on what sort of
bulbs
you had before. One home we visit from time to time has
something
like
ten incandescent spotlights overhead in the kitchen. I
suspect that
if
they switched to LEDs, they'd be able to see a difference in
their bill.

(BTW, it's incredibly bright in their kitchen; but they keep
their
living room so dim that it's difficult to read a magazine!)

But if those kitchen lights were compact fluorescents instead of
incandescents, switching to LEDs would make little difference in
consumption. The wattage difference is rather small.

My previous "cost cutting" effort was the change from
incandescent to
fluorescent :-)

Then there's the fact that (at least) most American homes
burn far
more
electricity on non-lighting applications. Air conditioning
eats a
lot.
So does a refrigerator or a dehumidifier. An electric stove
or oven
uses a lot. Changes in use of any of those can mask the savings
from
lower lighting consumption.

We have two room air conditioners and two electric washing
machines
and two fridges. I'm sure that the air conditioners are
probably the
major electricity hogs. Or perhaps the major controllable
electric
hogs as in Phuket, where our house is approximately 100 metres
from
the ocean, we don't use air conditioning and our light bill is
in the
$20/month range.

You can buy a cumulative energy meter to see how much you pay
to run
devices like ACs, fridges or washing machines.
http://www.p3international.com/products/p4400.html

Yup. But it really doesn't make any difference. My wife isn't going
back to doing the family wash by hand,

Apparently; some Hillbilly regions had petrol driven washing
machines
in days gone by.

I think my wife still has one of those stored somewhere; she had
hoped
to find someone interested. Hit and miss single cylinder engine and
washing machine. Has been a while since the thing ran.

Way back when, there used to be Popular Mechanics articles about
things you could do with an old "washing machine engine" :-)

People still do weird & wonderful things with the electric motors.

for example

Example of what? I'm confused.

I thought we were on gasoline engine washing machines, often with a
hit-or-miss mechanism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq_nD87riLY

Electric motors, as used on modern washing machines, are different
which does not stop people from as you say 'doing weird and wonderful
things' with them:

http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla...eatures-2017-7

I saved a starter motor and an alternator from my kid's Geo Metro when
it needed a new engine, many years ago. I kept thinking I'd come up
with some interesting use for one or both of them. I'm still open to
suggestions.

If you have a stationary exercise bike in the house mount the alternator
to it, add a Harborfreight or similar inverter of sufficient wattage and
put a large "Renewable Energy Generation Machine" to the bike.

You could also mount it to a regular bicycle, add a 100W LED
construction site light and then cruise down Main Street. People will
think a supernova is coming right at them :-)

Old July 4th 17, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

"John B." wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Jul 2017 10:50:34 -0400, Frank Krygowski

On 2017-07-02 14:43, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 4:31:56 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote: Snipped
Then you should know that it is easy not to hear an approaching
Yamaha, KTM or Suzuki on rocky singletrack sections. In time, so as
to avoid a scary situation or a head-on collision.

[...]

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

The dirt bikes that I hear are quite some distance away when I first
hear them. Theose dirt bikes are quite LOUD when they're being ridden
off road.

Right, they have so many head-on crashes because they hear each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-sCMFrZNjA

??? "So many"? You've given evidence of only one. And it's not dirt
bike vs. bicycle. It's dirt bike vs. four wheeler.

It should be obvious that a dirt bike rider can't hear other machines
nearly as well as a bicyclist can.

I don't think you understand Frank.

You see, riding a bicycle is a dangerious feat and those who do so are
proving to the world what brave and intrepid chaps they are. And, of
course, the more dangerious it is the more intrepid the rider.

Why, if it were "safe" than women and small children might invade the
wilds and then what could one do to prove their manhood.

Bonk the wimmin......................

Old July 4th 17, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
news
wrote:

wrote:

On 6/29/2017 10:07 PM, John B. wrote:

I installed LED lights throughout the house. I have the feeling
that
the brightness is not what the side of the LED box says it is
:-)

[...]

The motors salvaged from cordless drills look pretty useful - but there's
been a catastrophic round-tuit failure.............

Old July 5th 17, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I hear mountain lions collect video cameras

Clipless on a racer GizmoDuck Unicycling 5 August 17th 08 02:54 AM
Another racer gone. Bill C Racing 2 January 20th 08 10:04 PM
Rear Bike Basket for EZ-1 Sun Easy Racer - Easy Racer EZ-1 Rear Seat Bike Rack.jpg (0/1) Don Boring Recumbent Biking 1 September 25th 05 12:50 AM
APB: Look out for the following racer [email protected] Racing 1 August 13th 05 12:07 AM
Looking for a first racer around $6-800 chris c General 1 February 7th 05 09:58 PM