how many bearings does a single speed bike have?

Old August 5th 17, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default how many bearings does a single speed bike have?

Doug Landau wrote:

mmm, cecilie skog

Right. Norwegian super-star climber and polaric
explorer. She lost her husband, Rolf Bae, on
K2. The drama-documentary "The Summit" by
Nick Ryan from 2011 is about these 2008 events.
There was a Swede on the mountain as well,
Fredrik Sträng, a bit of a goofball, but at
least he survived.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old August 5th 17, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Radey Shouman wrote:

I use emacs every day at work on a Windoze
box. Works great. emacs was considered
a bloated, slow monstrosity years ago, but
now bloat has overtaken it, and emacs is now
a comparatively light and fast application.

Bloated is a misused term. Emacs isn't bloated,
it is *loaded*. When you throw one zillion
gizmos on a desktop so that the whole operation
slows down, or you mentally can't focus because
of all the visual noise, this is bloated.
But with Emacs (and a Unix shell for that
matter) it is all hidden below. When you need
it, it is there.

It is like a fully equipped repair shop only no
matter how much equipment you have, you will
never stumble over it and there will always be
room for more.

Not to mention that I could hardly stand to
read Usenet without Gnus.

Gnus is the best thing ever!

Here is a dump:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/figur...gnus-group.png

Old August 5th 17, 08:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 05 Aug 2017 04:52:46 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

Does that number include the porters who
carry their luggage and supplies?

If they reach the summit (8 611 m), yes.
And this is not uncommon as the Sherpas from
Nepal are better acclimatized from day one and
often superior climbers as well.

Frankly with the advent of graphics I can't
seem any advantage to either vi (vim) or
Emacs. Sure you can write entire applications
in Emacs with lisp (is it) but today you can
download free apps that do everything that
you used to do in Emacs but who cares?
After all we aren't tied to a single black
and white dumb terminal any more. Just click
the mouse that presto-chango! a new screen
with a new app.

Emacs (or Vim) typically do not attract people
who use the mouse or are fond of downloading
apps in the modern sense, tho there is ELPA,
the Emacs Lisp Package Archive, so virtually
the same is possible and happens every day.
It is as free, and even more free, than
smartphone apps as I've heard sometimes they
charge for them and sometimes they come
with ads.

Ah but the hand phone app's don't come with a guarantee that they are
"FREE!".
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 5th 17, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Emanuel Berg writes:

Radey Shouman wrote:

I use emacs every day at work on a Windoze
box. Works great. emacs was considered
a bloated, slow monstrosity years ago, but
now bloat has overtaken it, and emacs is now
a comparatively light and fast application.

Bloated is a misused term. Emacs isn't bloated,
it is *loaded*. When you throw one zillion
gizmos on a desktop so that the whole operation
slows down, or you mentally can't focus because
of all the visual noise, this is bloated.
But with Emacs (and a Unix shell for that
matter) it is all hidden below. When you need
it, it is there.

My point was that slow startup used to be a reason some avoided
emacs, it was the reason for the "undump" utility, which was a
pain to deal with if trying to build. Not any more, by modern
standards emacs is almost spartan.

Old August 5th 17, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Radey Shouman wrote:

My point was that slow startup used to be
a reason some avoided emacs, it was the
reason for the "undump" utility, which was
a pain to deal with if trying to build.

.... When was this? The 80s?

My Emacs takes but a few seconds to start and
without all the custom Elisp it would be even
quicker, virtually zero time.

I also have a very slow computer by modern
standards, a Raspberry-Pi. But it is very cool
- from the UK, of course

But even if Emacs' startup it was much, much
slower it wouldn't matter as it shouldn't be
exited. The computer is on 24/7 and so is
Emacs. Maybe this was different in the 80s as
well. I only knew a Mac Plus in the 80s but
granted, what I remember MacWord started all
but instantly, and yes, I switched off the
computer

Not any more, by modern standards emacs is
almost spartan.

There is, to my knowledge, no application that
is comparable to Emacs in that Emacs is a text
and code editor, an e-mail and Usenet
client (Gnus), a web-browser (Emacs w3m), an
IRC client (erc), a browser of documentation
(the man and info pages), a package manager
(the ELPA and MELPA just mentioned), a file
browser (dired), a shell, and tons of other
things as well. It is the opposite of spartan -
it is everything.

And this is what people who use it like, that
everything is under one roof and the
customization and extention interface and
programming environment is the same for
everything.

It is like a drug that has ruined many a young
man's career. Just like fishing and bikes.
But what do you need a career for when you have
Emacs, fishing, and bikes?

Old August 7th 17, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Skzs32Ai4 13:55

Old August 7th 17, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Doug Landau wrote:

Right. Norwegian super-star climber and
polaric explorer. She lost her husband, Rolf
Bae, on K2. The drama-documentary "The
Summit" by Nick Ryan from 2011 is about
these 2008 events. There was a Swede on the
mountain as well, Fredrik Sträng, a bit of
a goofball, but at least he survived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Skzs32Ai4
13:55

Yes, Dren Mandić, Serbia, and Jehan Baig,
Pakistan, two of a total eleven casualties on
K2, August 2008.

The others, sorted randomly, a

Jumik Nepal
Kyeong-Hyo Park Korea