Anyone know the author........

Old October 31st 04, 04:58 PM
Maggie

Default Anyone know the author........

Does anyone know the author of this poem? I love this poem especially
the last few lines.

Dearest, note how these two are alike:
This harpsicord pavane by Purcell
And the racer's twelve-speed bike.

The machinery of grace is always simple.
This chrome trapezoid, one wheel connected
To another of concentric gears,
Which Ptolemy dreamt of and Schwinn perfected,
Is gone. The cyclist, not the cycle, steers.
And in the playing, Purcell's chords are played away.

So this talk, or touch if I were there,
Should work its effortless gadgetry of love,
Like Dante's heaven, and melt into the air.

If it doesn't, of course, I've fallen. So much is chance,
So much agility, desire, and feverish care,
As bicyclists and harpsicordists prove

Who only by moving can balance,
Only by balancing move.
Old October 31st 04, 05:05 PM
DRS

http://www.google.com.au/search?num=...e+by+Purcel l

--

A: Top-posters.

Old October 31st 04, 05:06 PM
Scott Ehardt

"Maggie" wrote in message
m...
Does anyone know the author of this poem? I love this poem especially
the last few lines.

Google says: "Machine" by Michael Donaghy

--
Scott Ehardt
http://www.scehardt.com

Old October 31st 04, 05:08 PM
neil0502

Maggie wrote:
Does anyone know the author of this poem? I love this poem especially
the last few lines.

Dearest, note how these two are alike:
This harpsicord pavane by Purcell
And the racer's twelve-speed bike.

The machinery of grace is always simple.
This chrome trapezoid, one wheel connected
To another of concentric gears,
Which Ptolemy dreamt of and Schwinn perfected,
Is gone. The cyclist, not the cycle, steers.
And in the playing, Purcell's chords are played away.

So this talk, or touch if I were there,
Should work its effortless gadgetry of love,
Like Dante's heaven, and melt into the air.

If it doesn't, of course, I've fallen. So much is chance,
So much agility, desire, and feverish care,
As bicyclists and harpsicordists prove

Who only by moving can balance,
Only by balancing move.

Michael Donaghy
http://snipurl.com/a6wx
http://plagiarist.com/poetry/4348/

Old November 1st 04, 11:34 AM
Maggie

"DRS" wrote in message ...
"Maggie" wrote in message
Does anyone know the author of this poem? I love this poem especially
the last few lines.

Dearest, note how these two are alike:
This harpsicord pavane by Purcell
And the racer's twelve-speed bike.

The machinery of grace is always simple.
This chrome trapezoid, one wheel connected
To another of concentric gears,
Which Ptolemy dreamt of and Schwinn perfected,
Is gone. The cyclist, not the cycle, steers.
And in the playing, Purcell's chords are played away.

So this talk, or touch if I were there,
Should work its effortless gadgetry of love,
Like Dante's heaven, and melt into the air.

If it doesn't, of course, I've fallen. So much is chance,
So much agility, desire, and feverish care,
As bicyclists and harpsicordists prove

Who only by moving can balance,
Only by balancing move.

http://www.google.com.au/search?num=...e+by+Purcel l

Thanks for the information. This author was born exactly 2 days after
I was. I hope I don't die as young as he did. Thanks for googling for
me. I never thought to google. Duh! Now I know better.
Thanks,
Peace and stuff

Red Bull SSM 24 Hour Race results... leow Unicycling 21 July 1st 04 04:14 PM
Sunday's ride Mikefule Unicycling 19 May 6th 04 04:54 PM
"Actually you are the first person to bring up this issue" James Annan Techniques 848 April 6th 04 08:49 PM