Sleepy after ride

Old March 9th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Sleepy after ride

I often feel sleepy after a ride and it's all I can do to stay awake.

Do others get this way? What is a good post ride snack?

P.S. Don't give me any crap about "nap time". I really do get quite
tired after
Old March 9th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Mar 8, 4:45 pm, wrote:

... What is a good post ride snack?

Beer and Cheetos.

Old March 9th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Mar 8, 4:45*pm, wrote:
I often feel sleepy after a ride and it's all I can do to stay awake.

Do others get this way? *What is a good post ride snack?

P.S. Don't give me any crap about "nap time". *I really do get quite
tired after

The bummer is when you get sleepy during the ride. I bonked hard on a
long ride on a hot day and ended up taking a nap under a tree. But to
answer your question, yes, after a long, hard ride, I get sleepy. Go
to any one of these organized double centuries or "killer" rides (e.g.
"The Death Ride"), and you will see a lot of people with sun burned
faces nodding off into their post-ride plates of spaghetti. I am
totally unscientific when it comes to post ride snacks and would
recommend that you pay a lot of money for some scientific formulation
that comes in a pouch or can with neon graphics -- and a dramatic name
like "Exhilerate!". Personally, I get a beer and a burger -- or
Mexican, but I always remember to drink some water, too. -- Jay
Beattie.
Old March 9th 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Eric Vey

wrote:

Do others get this way?

Not me and I don't remember ever getting sleepy after a ride. I get
sleepy after eating.
Old March 9th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

wrote in message
I often feel sleepy after a ride and it's all I can do to stay awake.

Do others get this way? What is a good post ride snack?

P.S. Don't give me any crap about "nap time". I really do get quite
tired after

I feel quite the opposite. When I feel sleepy, I go for a ride. Then I feel
better.

People say I should go to a doctor for a physical, blood tests, whatever.
What do they know?

J.

Old March 9th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 8, 7:45*pm, wrote:
I often feel sleepy after a ride and it's all I can do to stay awake.

Do others get this way? *What is a good post ride snack?

P.S. Don't give me any crap about "nap time". *I really do get quite
tired after

well you realize you are leaving out some things that might factor in;
how long of a ride are you talking about ? how hard do you usually
go ? what's you age and physical conditioning ? are you talking about
going out in the wintertime (cold weather)? diabetic or hypoglycemic ?

I've gone on long rides 16hrs+ and come home so psyched that despite
my normal fatigue I have to turn up the music and bounce around a bit
before I can start to relax.
Old March 9th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 8, 9:18 pm, wrote:
On Mar 8, 7:45 pm, wrote:

I often feel sleepy after a ride and it's all I can do to stay awake.

Do others get this way? What is a good post ride snack?

P.S. Don't give me any crap about "nap time". I really do get quite
tired after

well you realize you are leaving out some things that might factor in;
how long of a ride are you talking about ? how hard do you usually
go ? what's you age and physical conditioning ? are you talking about
going out in the wintertime (cold weather)? diabetic or hypoglycemic ?

I've gone on long rides 16hrs+ and come home so psyched that despite
my normal fatigue I have to turn up the music and bounce around a bit
before I can start to relax.

Short ride as far as rides go, about 1 1/2 hours. And until recently,
that has been on a rigid frame mountain bike, riding on pavement (just
bought a road bike a week ago).

It's winter here, typical riding temps 30 - 40 degrees (f). Age is
47, conditioning is "decent" for a male of my age, not overweight. I
ride pretty hard I think. So my comment pertains to winter riding.

Hydration might be an issue. I pump a lot of coffee during the day,
and don't always compensate with adequate H2O.

After a ride I usually feel an endorphin high. Then if I sit down, do
something at the computer, night night...
Old March 9th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 8, 7:45 pm, wrote:
I often feel sleepy after a ride and it's all I can do to stay awake.

Do others get this way? What is a good post ride snack?

P.S. Don't give me any crap about "nap time". I really do get quite
tired after

Listen to your body. If you're tired, sleep. Forcing yourself to
stay awake is just going to slow down recovery. As for post ride
snacks, I prefer tortillas with a half and half mix of low fat cottage
cheese and salsa. It seems to have just the right mix of carbs,
protein, and salt.
Old March 9th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Jay:
I feel quite the opposite. When I feel sleepy, I go for a ride. Then I feel
better.

My rule of thumb for riding or any workout: No matter how bad I
feel (as long as it isn't obvious that I have some sort of
infection) I start on the ride or workout.

97% of the time I feel better and keep on going.

2% of the time I don't feel any better and cut it short.

1% of the time I feel worse, stop immediately, go home, and lay
down with a good book.

Once I'm reasonably sure I have any kind of infection, I stop all
unnecessary physical activity until the infection passes.

Reason I mention this is that I've gotten really, *really*,
REALLY sick several times in my life by violating that rule... as
in losing 100+ pounds one time, 30+ pounds another time, and
incurring permanent respiratory damage yet another time.

Slow learner, I guess...

My suspicion is that exercise can facilitate the dispersal of the
bad guys within one's body.
--
PeteCresswell

Sleepy VeloNews B. Lafferty Racing 4 June 30th 06 04:51 PM
Ride Report ( Long) - Children's Cancer Institute Bike Ride - Townsville to Cairns HughMann Australia 2 August 7th 05 04:08 AM
Early-bird bike ride helps Sierra Club ("Morning Glory" ride) Garrison Hilliard General 5 July 8th 05 05:44 PM
Bike Ride Pictures: Club ride to Half Moon Bay, CA, June 2005 Bill Bushnell Rides 0 June 28th 05 07:05 AM
[Texas] Bridgewood Farms "Ride From the Heart" Charity Bike Ride Greg Bretting Rides 0 January 15th 04 05:38 AM