wire removal

Old December 29th 15, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default wire removal

Swiss army knife with pliers in it.

Leatherman Squirt PS4. Needlenose pliers and other useful tools. 60grams 60mm PH

Leatherman Wave now in Portland for repair of can opener tip
Nbar multi hex key tool

For commuting/training on the road?!?!?
Old December 29th 15, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 8:18:12 AM UTC-8, JoeRiel wrote:
Flatted yesterday. Wasted fifteen minutes extracting the tiny wire from
the tire for lack of a proper tool. Will probably add tweezers to the
miniscule toolkit. Any better suggestions?

--
Joe Riel

An Altoids tin will hold the patch kit, spoke wrench, 3-4-5-6mm hex keys, a power link, a swiss army classic, a plastic razor head, a mini chaintool OR single-use lube, and a fresh-scented towlette.
Old December 29th 15, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/28/2015 5:22 PM, Peter Howard wrote:
On 29/12/2015 2:18 AM, Joe Riel wrote:
Flatted yesterday. Wasted fifteen minutes extracting the tiny wire from
the tire for lack of a proper tool. Will probably add tweezers to the
miniscule toolkit. Any better suggestions?

Leatherman Squirt PS4. Needlenose pliers and other useful tools. 60grams
60mm

+1 on the Leatherman. One's always in my pocket.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 29th 15, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 16:22:59 -0800 (PST), Doug Landau
wrote:

On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 8:18:12 AM UTC-8, JoeRiel wrote:
Flatted yesterday. Wasted fifteen minutes extracting the tiny wire from
the tire for lack of a proper tool. Will probably add tweezers to the
miniscule toolkit. Any better suggestions?

--
Joe Riel

An Altoids tin will hold the patch kit, spoke wrench, 3-4-5-6mm hex keys, a power link, a swiss army classic, a plastic razor head, a mini chaintool OR single-use lube, and a fresh-scented towlette.

What do you do with the razor?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 29th 15, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

wrote:

On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 8:18:12 AM UTC-8, JoeRiel wrote:
Flatted yesterday. Wasted fifteen minutes extracting the tiny wire from
the tire for lack of a proper tool. Will probably add tweezers to the
miniscule toolkit. Any better suggestions?

--
Joe Riel

An Altoids tin will hold the patch kit, spoke wrench, 3-4-5-6mm hex keys, a power link, a swiss army classic, a plastic razor head, a mini chaintool OR single-use lube, and a fresh-scented towlette.

What do you do with the razor?

Two choices :

Emergency leg-shaving if you're feeling a little hairy before the final
sprint.

Taking the flappy bit of rubber off an inner tube seam before patching
it. Personally I use an old-fashioned safety razor blade for this, but
I'm guessing the razor head will do the same.

Old December 29th 15, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 12/28/2015 5:22 PM, Peter Howard wrote:
On 29/12/2015 2:18 AM, Joe Riel wrote:
Flatted yesterday. Wasted fifteen minutes extracting the tiny wire from
the tire for lack of a proper tool. Will probably add tweezers to the
miniscule toolkit. Any better suggestions?

Leatherman Squirt PS4. Needlenose pliers and other useful tools. 60grams
60mm

+1 on the Leatherman. One's always in my pocket.

I had one, but forgot about until it in a carry bag. It was spotted
in an x-ray while being screened for jury duty. Had to get rid of it
on the spot.

--
Joe Riel
Old December 29th 15, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 5:03:38 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 16:22:59 -0800 (PST), Doug Landau wrote:

On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 8:18:12 AM UTC-8, JoeRiel wrote:
Flatted yesterday. Wasted fifteen minutes extracting the tiny wire from
the tire for lack of a proper tool. Will probably add tweezers to the
miniscule toolkit. Any better suggestions?

--
Joe Riel

An Altoids tin will hold the patch kit, spoke wrench, 3-4-5-6mm hex keys, a power link, a swiss army classic, a plastic razor head, a mini chaintool OR single-use lube, and a fresh-scented towlette.

What do you do with the razor?
--
cheers,

John B.

As Clive said. Actually, I learned from Chalo that that's what the sandpaper is actually for. I had assumed it was for roughing up the surface so the glue would stick better but i guess not. I guess this means that the razor head is really only for tweak-snob value.

Old December 29th 15, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

riding outback...

Yawl buy tube with seams ?

ditto Frank.... estimating possible delusions of perpetual motion ...
Old December 29th 15, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 29/12/2015 01:12, Clive George wrote:
Taking the flappy bit of rubber off an inner tube seam before patching
it. Personally I use an old-fashioned safety razor blade for this, but
I'm guessing the razor head will do the same.

Flashing. I knew there was a better name than "flappy bit of rubber".

(and "tube flashing" on google gave me a whole lot of results I'm glad
people didn't get to see...)

Old December 29th 15, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 5:46:51 PM UTC-8, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

You need to sand to remove mould/mold release -- and incidentally remove contaminants and flashing. Some brands won't hold a patch without serious sanding. I had some old-school Michelin tubes that I had to sand the hell out of before they would hold a patch -- even in areas with no ridges.

-- Jay Beattie.

what's that wire? Ben Trovato Racing 2 March 28th 11 06:47 AM
Is She Standing on the Wire? Nuxx Bar UK 4 February 26th 11 10:39 PM
Down to the wire. Michael Press Racing 1 July 23rd 06 12:00 PM
Beekeepers wire? Zog The Undeniable Techniques 20 August 26th 04 12:58 AM
Nepean Hwy - Barbed wire Wayne Reid Australia 2 August 20th 04 01:10 AM