wire removal

Old December 29th 15, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default wire removal

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 08:03:35 +0700, John B.
wrote:

What do you do with the razor?

A single-edge razor blade is easier to use, takes up less space, and
does more jobs. I keep one on my person at all times.

In my card case; I'll have to add one to my makeshift emergency kit.

My box of one hundred blades is years old, and two of us have been
using out of it, but we haven't made much of a dent.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
Old December 29th 15, 05:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

jbeattie wrote:
:On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 5:46:51 PM UTC-8, Doug Landau wrote:
:
: As Clive said. Actually, I learned from Chalo that that's what the sandpaper is actually for. I had assumed it was for roughing up the surface so the glue would stick better but i guess not. I guess this means that the razor head is really only for tweak-snob value.

:You need to sand to remove mould/mold release -- and incidentally remove contaminants and flashing. Some brands won't hold a patch without serious sanding. I had some old-school Michelin tubes that I had to sand the hell out of before they would hold a patch -- even in areas with no ridges.

I'm a former tire service guy. You roughen the surface your applying
a repair unit ("patch", in english) to because it increases the
surface area the glue has to work on. That gives a stronger bond,
mechanically, and exposes more sulphur molecules to vulcanize the
patch in place. One of the training courses I did had an example of
this; the guy had three pieces of tire, one that had nothing done to
it, one that had been cleaned with a solvent, and one that had been
properly prepared to RMA #2 texture with a buffer. He put on cement,
stuck the repair units on. Some time later, we tried to take them
off. the do nothing repair came off at the flue line, like it had
never been there. The solvent cleaned repair came off easily, with a
little bit of the patch staying behind. The roughened one, the repair
unit fell apart.

--
sig 118
Old December 29th 15, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 01:12:30 +0000, Clive George
wrote:

On 29/12/2015 01:03, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 16:22:59 -0800 (PST), Doug Landau
wrote:

On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 8:18:12 AM UTC-8, JoeRiel wrote:
Flatted yesterday. Wasted fifteen minutes extracting the tiny wire from
the tire for lack of a proper tool. Will probably add tweezers to the
miniscule toolkit. Any better suggestions?

--
Joe Riel

An Altoids tin will hold the patch kit, spoke wrench, 3-4-5-6mm hex keys, a power link, a swiss army classic, a plastic razor head, a mini chaintool OR single-use lube, and a fresh-scented towlette.

What do you do with the razor?

Two choices :

Emergency leg-shaving if you're feeling a little hairy before the final
sprint.

Do the clean legs help in that final sprint :-?

Taking the flappy bit of rubber off an inner tube seam before patching
it. Personally I use an old-fashioned safety razor blade for this, but
I'm guessing the razor head will do the same.

I use a coarse (maybe 80 - 100 grit) emery cloth for smoothing seams.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 29th 15, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 02:18:05 +0000, Clive George
wrote:

On 29/12/2015 01:12, Clive George wrote:
Taking the flappy bit of rubber off an inner tube seam before patching
it. Personally I use an old-fashioned safety razor blade for this, but
I'm guessing the razor head will do the same.

Flashing. I knew there was a better name than "flappy bit of rubber".

(and "tube flashing" on google gave me a whole lot of results I'm glad
people didn't get to see...)

Well, I see those pictures the Web of all these bicycle riders riding
around with nothing at all on. I'd reckon that flashing would really
be an art with those folks.

If you google on "naked bicyclist" you get 1,410,000 hits so I guess
it must be a pretty common practice.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loca...aked-bike-ride
even has moving pictures of a Canadian event.
--
cheers,

John B.

what's that wire? Ben Trovato Racing 2 March 28th 11 06:47 AM
Is She Standing on the Wire? Nuxx Bar UK 4 February 26th 11 10:39 PM
Down to the wire. Michael Press Racing 1 July 23rd 06 12:00 PM
Beekeepers wire? Zog The Undeniable Techniques 20 August 26th 04 12:58 AM
Nepean Hwy - Barbed wire Wayne Reid Australia 2 August 20th 04 01:10 AM