I hate having to buy a gruppo

Old May 2nd 17, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default I hate having to buy a gruppo

On 5/1/2017 2:22 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

What do you think about RX-100 7 speed? That was a great grouppo

It occurs to me that Sheldon chided people who used the quasi-French
spelling for "derailleur" instead of his preferred "derailer."

How many rpm does he spin in his grave when people talk about a Japanese
"gruppo"?

(BTW, I do believe it's got only one "o".)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 2nd 17, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 3:09:29 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 12:16:14 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 11:22:28 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 7:15:17 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 1:06:09 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 2:41:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:

105 is bulletproof but also it isn't repairable if something does break. And I don't like having to do that double bend on the new version shift wires.

Repairable? I've cycled for one or two years. I've broken a few spokes. Repaired them easily. Broken a pedal spindle. Replaced with new pedal. Broken an early Ergo internals. Repaired with the commonly sold part to fix this slightly defective part. Worn out some bar end shifters. They no longer clicked cleanly so tossed away. Not sure I've broken anything else. Not sure what this "repairable" thing you speak of is. Broken parts on bikes are just replaced with a new part. No one repairs the broken part. A bike is not a damaged car body panel where they take Bondo and fix the dents. You just throw the broken part away and put on a new part. Kind of like with chains and cassettes. You don't fix them. You just replace them.

Double bend on the shift wires? You mean taping the wires to the bars and bending them around the corner and when it comes out at the stem? Is this too difficult for you to figure out? If you ever do figure out how to make the bends, you will discover that the STI shifters and brakes work very, very, very well.

The 105 stuff is riveted together where the Ultegra parts have screws. The expensive component is the levers so being able to repair those is important in my book. That's why I always use Campy.

What do you think about RX-100 7 speed? That was a great grouppo

I believe that the RX-100 was the 105 of that time.

It was the Sora of the time. There was 105.

At that time, folks on this group were saying that 105, Ultegra, and Dura-Ace are all of the same materials and construction; the only difference was the degree of sculpting they received to shave grams.

At that time there was RX-100, 600 and Dura Ace if memory serves. I don't remember the name "Ultegra" until the brifters.
Old May 2nd 17, 06:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/1/2017 1:38 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 7:36:09 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 11:22:26 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 10:53:03 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Wow, you're right, Jay, that is really a smokin' deal.

I am just about to go ahead and order it, except:

Is there any way to convert the braze-on front derailleur to a clamp?

And I wonder how much extra the Shimano 105 bottom bracket would cost?

Yes, separate claims for braze-on FDs are widely available. e.g.
https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-d.../10769290.html

I can walk down the street and buy an Ultegra Italiano BB for $19.99:
https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...VgfgodQbE AKQ

I might even get a discount because I'm a LEADER'S CLUB member. I
repeat, not a loser follower. A LEADER!

Your expense will be respacing the rear triangle and getting an 11sp
compatible rear hub -- assuming you don't want to do it at home. And
you'll have to make the investment in a BB wrench -- if you don't have
one for another bike, and a cassette tool. Also consider a decent
torque wrench to get the pinch-bolts on the crank just right. Modern
technology comes at a price.

How do you respace aluminum or carbon frames?

I REALLY like my steel frames now.

How about bamboo frames? Can those things be cold-set?

Oak can be steam bent. It might work for bamboo. If it can, Andrew's
probably already done it.

Anhydrous ammonia is the magic tool for bending wood. It temporarily breaks
the connections between the wood fibres, allowing wood to bend like
plastic, but after it evaporates, the wood fibres reattach and the wood
regains its original stiffness and strength. I don't know if it works on
bamboo.

Old May 2nd 17, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/1/2017 10:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

Here's a refresher:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/sh83.html

Shimano 600 (variant = 600AX) became New 600 then Ultegra.
105 became New 105 and then 105.
Sante was between 105 and Ultegra. The others are less
expensive. For Shimano's opinion on product placement, look
at the part number. 600 series start with a 6. 105 (and
Sante) start with a 5, and so on.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 2nd 17, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 7:22:47 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/1/2017 2:22 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

What do you think about RX-100 7 speed? That was a great grouppo

It occurs to me that Sheldon chided people who used the quasi-French
spelling for "derailleur" instead of his preferred "derailer."

How many rpm does he spin in his grave when people talk about a Japanese
"gruppo"?

(BTW, I do believe it's got only one "o".)

--
- Frank Krygowski

We are not in Italy, and it's a group, here.
Old May 2nd 17, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/2/2017 1:22 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 7:22:47 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/1/2017 2:22 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

What do you think about RX-100 7 speed? That was a great grouppo

It occurs to me that Sheldon chided people who used the quasi-French
spelling for "derailleur" instead of his preferred "derailer."

How many rpm does he spin in his grave when people talk about a Japanese
"gruppo"?

(BTW, I do believe it's got only one "o".)

--
- Frank Krygowski

We are not in Italy, and it's a group, here.

According to Google Translate, if it's Japanese it should be called a
グループ

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 2nd 17, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 10:22:03 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 7:22:47 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/1/2017 2:22 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

What do you think about RX-100 7 speed? That was a great grouppo

It occurs to me that Sheldon chided people who used the quasi-French
spelling for "derailleur" instead of his preferred "derailer."

How many rpm does he spin in his grave when people talk about a Japanese
"gruppo"?

(BTW, I do believe it's got only one "o".)

--
- Frank Krygowski

We are not in Italy, and it's a group, here.

Do you suppose that we could make our own standard? The only reason I use groupo and derailleur is because I usually ride Italian bikes with Italian components and Italian wheels. My Eddy Merckx looks suspiciously Italian and uses Italian threads.
Old September 6th 17, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

[...]

Oh, wow, a good condition RX-100 grouppo, with a free paramount frame
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik...291575898.html