10 SP racer.

Old June 29th 17, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

Default 10 SP racer.

On 2017-06-29 00:14, Roger Merriman wrote:
Ian Field wrote:
Is a 10 SP racer with drop handlebars collectible in any way?

Dragged one off a skip the other day, the only bit missing is the rear
axle.

The only real salvage is a bottle dynamo lighting set - I don't think
tyres
have ribbed sidewalls for those anymore.

To a degree yes, they have value, though more if they have history.

Depends. A Peugeot PX10 will have a lot of value while a cheap rusty 70's
department store racer won't even have scrap value.

Maybe I should look what make it is next time I go in the garage.

Old June 29th 17, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/29/2017 10:49 AM, Joerg wrote:

Bottle dynamos were one of the abominations of the bike world. Dirt poor
efficiency, noisy, failing a lot in winter, and mostly shoddy electrical
contacting. I'd get rid of that and install some decent system. The
lighting set is also generally useless because in the olden days they
failed to produce much ... light. Sometimes after going over a rough
road they quit producing any light. Get something modern with LED.

I think most of the problems with bottle dynamos were due to
installation. They do require more skill to set up, and many people
lack the mechanical sense to do it righ. Electrical connections could
be a problem if you used the frame for a ground (which was the default
system) but it's easy to provide double wiring which includes a proper
ground wire.

In "the olden days" they used vacuum bulbs and primitive opticx. Those
produced much less light than we expect now, but IME they produced much
more light than the easily available battery lights of the day.

These days, a bottle dynamo will drive a modern StVZO LED dynamo
headlamp. While I have other dynamo types on certain bikes, the bottle
dynamo with a good headlamp gives me all the light I need for road
riding, and it's always available at a moment's notice. YMMV.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 29th 17, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 2:06:13 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I'm not so sure about modern household LED's. They are bright white and your eyes don't like that. On a bike the light is so brights that they reflect off of everything.
Old June 29th 17, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-29 13:27, wrote:
Who saud 'they go for. ' ?

Ebay, among others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gazelle-Trim...-/182622183462

Eventually the bids go up and the frames are gone. Beats me why. I
really like its riding performance but I would not buy a used Trim
Trophy frame. One of the issues is that it still has the old 126mm rear
axle spacing. Getting a new HG freehub in there without a shoe horn was
a real challenge.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 29th 17, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
On 6/29/2017 10:49 AM, Joerg wrote:

Bottle dynamos were one of the abominations of the bike world.
Dirt poor efficiency, noisy, failing a lot in winter, and mostly
shoddy electrical contacting. I'd get rid of that and install
some decent system. The lighting set is also generally useless
because in the olden days they failed to produce much ... light.
Sometimes after going over a rough road they quit producing any
light. Get something modern with LED.

I think most of the problems with bottle dynamos were due to
installation. They do require more skill to set up, and many
people lack the mechanical sense to do it righ. Electrical
connections could be a problem if you used the frame for a ground
(which was the default system) but it's easy to provide double
wiring which includes a proper ground wire.

I always had that but the live wire was the problem. Many bottle dynamos
had just a push-in contact or, worse, a fixed brass tongue with a hole
in there through which you sort of had to twist the wires. It reminded
me of what a friend said about electrical wiring in Paraguay.

In "the olden days" they used vacuum bulbs and primitive opticx.
Those produced much less light than we expect now, but IME they
produced much more light than the easily available battery lights
of the day.

Not on my bikes. Most of the times I had lights powered by a central
battery. I do not like might vehicle's light to go out or revert to some
dim "stand light" when waiting at a busy intersection at night.

These days, a bottle dynamo will drive a modern StVZO LED dynamo
headlamp. While I have other dynamo types on certain bikes, the
bottle dynamo with a good headlamp gives me all the light I need
for road riding, and it's always available at a moment's notice.
YMMV.

Even while in Europe having a residential address in the Netherlands
freed me from StVZO and I could have some real lights. They stopped me
only once but could not ticket me 8-)

I'm not so sure about modern household LED's. They are bright white
and your eyes don't like that. On a bike the light is so brights that
they reflect off of everything.

I like my bright white 1000 lumen front lights. They light up the road
better than some motorcycle front lights. I see the hose clamp that fell
off a contractor's truck before I hit it.

Old June 30th 17, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 15:44:58 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-06-29 13:27, wrote:
Who saud 'they go for. ' ?

Ebay, among others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gazelle-Trim...-/182622183462

Eventually the bids go up and the frames are gone. Beats me why. I
really like its riding performance but I would not buy a used Trim
Trophy frame. One of the issues is that it still has the old 126mm rear
axle spacing. Getting a new HG freehub in there without a shoe horn was
a real challenge.

Get the rear fork "spread" and checked for parallelism.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 30th 17, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 14:31:02 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

I installed LED lights throughout the house. I have the feeling that
the brightness is not what the side of the LED box says it is :-)

In addition, changing every light in the house resulted in a barely
noticeable decrease in the monthly light bill. Hardly worth it on a
dollar basis.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 30th 17, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2017-06-29 13:27, wrote:
Who saud 'they go for. ' ?

Ebay, among others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gazelle-Trim...-/182622183462

Eventually the bids go up and the frames are gone. Beats me why. I
really like its riding performance but I would not buy a used Trim
Trophy frame. One of the issues is that it still has the old 126mm rear
axle spacing. Getting a new HG freehub in there without a shoe horn was
a real challenge.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Gee whiz Joerg, almost anyone could easily cold set a steel frame to take a newer hub with a greater cog capacity cassette such as a 9 or 10 speed one.. I've used Sheldon Brown's method to cold set many a rear triagle from 7 speed to 9 speed and had nary a problem with the frame in many years of ridfing it. It's NOT hard to cold set a frame. If you don't want to do it yourself any competent bike shop can do it and allign the dropouts too.

Cheers
Old June 30th 17, 11:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Yes follow Brown. In bending always prevent joint motion.
Old June 30th 17, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-29 13:27, wrote:
Who saud 'they go for. ' ?

Ebay, among others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gazelle-Trim...-/182622183462

Eventually the bids go up and the frames are gone. Beats me why. I
really like its riding performance but I would not buy a used Trim
Trophy frame. One of the issues is that it still has the old 126mm rear
axle spacing. Getting a new HG freehub in there without a shoe horn was
a real challenge.

Get the rear fork "spread" and checked for parallelism.

Yes, you can bend it. With some bad luck you might get a crack when
trying to twists the drop-outs so they are parallel again.

All I am saying is that if that frame broke I wouldn't buy a used
replacement at auction but a new titanium or steel frame bike instead.
Many other reasons, too, such as not having downtube shifters anymore.
When someone else rides the bike they sometimes wonder where the
shifters are.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Clipless on a racer GizmoDuck Unicycling 5 August 17th 08 02:54 AM
Another racer gone. Bill C Racing 2 January 20th 08 10:04 PM
Rear Bike Basket for EZ-1 Sun Easy Racer - Easy Racer EZ-1 Rear Seat Bike Rack.jpg (0/1) Don Boring Recumbent Biking 1 September 25th 05 12:50 AM
APB: Look out for the following racer [email protected] Racing 1 August 13th 05 12:07 AM
Looking for a first racer around $6-800 chris c General 1 February 7th 05 09:58 PM