Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?

Old September 4th 17, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Mr.Tuffy liner for road bikes ok? Or 2nd tube?

On 2017-09-03 19:07, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 03 Sep 2017 07:48:22 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-09-02 18:01, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 02 Sep 2017 07:45:08 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-08-31 18:30, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 11:55:10 -0700, Joerg

wrote:

Yesterday I had another two (!) sidewall punctures.
Long story short I
will definitely not recommend CST Conquistare tires.
Wore out in less
than 1200mi and then weakened which is just
unacceptable. So thumbs down
from me.

This brings up two questions:

1. The Mr.Tuffy orange liners for 700c narrow tires.
They must be laid
in with a wee overlap. Will that overlap cause a 700c
25mm tire at
110psi to run bumpy? Like whop .. whop .. whop every
time the overlap
comes around?

2. What about taking a second (otherwise discarded)
thorn-resistant
tube, slit it open on the inside and slide it over
the real
thorn-resistant as a 2nd layer?

The problem is that Kenda seems to have discontinued
selling
thorn-resistant tubes with good and most of all same
thickness all
around but now the thickness tapers off towards the
sidewalls. That's
where they fail. Same for Sunlite which I had to
re-order yesterday
because those things are essentially unfixable with
those thin REMA patches.

Any words of wisdom? As usual, weight absolutely does
not matter.

In case anyone knows: I read somewhere that smugglers
"inflate" their
vehicle tires with some sort of hardening sealant
(Silicone?
Construction foam?) that makes the tires
bullet-proof. What material is
it and how do they get it in there thoroughly enough?
Would it be good
for a couple of thousand miles?

I don't know about smugglers but yes you can buy foam
to use in tires.
See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgv4UiDQa74
http://www.accellatirefill.com/

and I assume other sites.

Thanks. Tyrfil is what Andrew brought up and I'll
contact them next week.

I'd like to have a similar firm tire behavior as if it
was pumped up
with air to 110psi. Riding comfort isn't very
important, durability is.

A google search for "foam filled bicycle tires" gets
372,000 hits.
such as:

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Solid-No.../dp/B01HY12VOU

http://www.instructables.com/id/No-more-flat-tires/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/22...-tires-review/

I did web searches. None of the result were much good. I
was looking for
something that works, preferrably via squirting through
the valve stem
into a regular tube. There was a report of smugglers who
had inflated
their tires with something from cans and that made them
not go flat when
shot at. Unfortunately the report did not state what was
in those cans.

The main objective of my post was different though, this
was just a side
question in case anyone happened to know.

There is a sort of "slime" that comes in pressurized cans
that you can
inflate auto tires with that will seal some leaks. Which
you may have
been reading about.

But I suspect that you already know about that stuff.

I've tried that stuff on my MTB. After a few months I had it
with slime and threw those tubes away. The slime oozed out
everywhere and I got lots of slow flats where I had to pump
two or three times on the ride home. In any case that
essentially ended the ride. Plus a green mess on the garage
floor that the missus didn't appreciate. Especially because
of the risk of stepping into a splotch and carrying it onto
carpet in the house.

I replaced them with thick and heavy thorn-resistant tubes
plus tire liner. Never looked back.

Now that one rider had sent me an email that tire liner
won't cause uneven rolling on a road bike I ordered a couple
rolls. Actually bid on them on EBay just for fun (my first
time bidding). I ended up winning. $1.25 plus $4 shipping.
If I'd order those at an online shop it would cost around
$12 total, $20 at a LBS and I'd have to ride to Folsom for
that. If they even stock them.

Aside from all being "things which some people put inside pneumatic
tires", there's no other similarity among Slime, aerogel foam or
urethane sealer.

Yes, I know, was just responding that I have tried slime and found that
it does not work in the long run. I found that thick tubes plus liners
work much better. Just wasn't sure whether there'd be a noticeable bump
upon every wheel rotation but a rider wrote me an email that there
isn't. So I'll try that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 5th 17, 08:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

No discernable bump...tube wear is problem...the liner injects tube wear into the system...tube porosity then...n
Old September 5th 17, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 7:36:16 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-08-31 17:38, Doug Landau wrote:
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 11:55:06 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
[...]

Those who are serious about not getting flats make their own mr tuffys from old tires

How do you do the overlap? It has to be cut because the radius inside is
a smidgen smaller than normal.

I was thinking about making my own Mr.Tuffy from a 2nd thorn-resistant
tube that is slit open lengthwise on the rim side. I'll see when the new
tube gets here next week. There should be enough compliance in the
rubber so there won;t be any wrinkles. Hopefully. The othe issue is that
the smallest these tubes come is 700 x 23/25mm and even 23mm is a bit
large if there is a another thick tube in there.

Fraid I either did not ask or don't remember. I remember the part about removing the bead, but that's obvious. Mostly I remember the conclusion, made simply with no effort to convince: "... and I don't get flats".

Old September 5th 17, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-31 17:38, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

That's exactly the objective. To heck with weight.

I have tire liner on order which will go in on top of thick
thorn-resistant tubes. We'll see.

Old September 5th 17, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

For equipment with more troubles than yours ( construction
site vehicles) the accepted solution of to fill the tires
with something besides compressed air.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 5th 17, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

wrote:
[...]

- accepted? Don't those things break down after a few hundred hours?
Old September 5th 17, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-08-31 17:38, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

Check it out. This guy rides 28s, and makes liners out of old 27s, so there is no cutting or overlapping necessary.
http://forums.bicycletutor.com/thread-4387.html

Old September 5th 17, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

Foam fill? Nope. Solid urethane are more for indoor
warehouse use now. These are no longer new, mysterious
technologies.

Old September 6th 17, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-31 17:38, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

Good idea, though I wouldn't know anyone who still uses 27" wheels. Some
27" tires are still sold on EBay. But first I'll try the Mr.Tuffy which
should be here in a week. Until then the MTB will be pressed into
service despite an ailing BB. Carrying a spritz of turbine oil along in
case it starts screeching.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Slime liner sliced my inner tube Kooky45 UK 21 October 31st 07 11:24 PM
CF Bike Shatters Top Tube and Down Tube after hitting a Road Divot Kenny Techniques 152 August 23rd 07 12:56 AM
FA: Slime Tube Protector - puncture prevention tyre liner x2 Timothy Baldwin UK 0 January 31st 05 10:08 PM
Mr. Tuffy bit my tube! Pat General 4 January 16th 05 07:56 PM
Head tube size: road bikes generically speaking Mark Hickey Techniques 0 March 21st 04 04:08 PM