Front bike rack on buses, heavy bikes

Old September 17th 17, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Front bike rack on buses, heavy bikes

Thinking about doing rides farther away without carting the bike there
in my car. Or riding out farther and using a bus for some of the way
back. Buses out here have racks for two bikes up front, like this:

http://www.sacbike.dreamhosters.com/...us_No_2395.jpg

Unfortunately the top-holding bar goes over the front wheel where the
emergency dynamo is on my road bike instead of over the seat. Ok, I can
remove that dynamo. However, both my road bike and my MTB are
"rear-heavy" with panniers that contain lots of water, tools and such.
Are they still safe in those racks?

The other question is, El Dorado Transit and others state to "remove
panniers and other baggage to allow safe operation of the bus". My
panniers look detachable but they are not, there is a lot of stuff
underneath that bolts and cinches them in place.

What's your experience?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 17th 17, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

On 17-09-17 16:54, Joerg wrote:
Thinking about doing rides farther away without carting the bike there
in my car. Or riding out farther and using a bus for some of the way
back. Buses out here have racks for two bikes up front, like this:

http://www.sacbike.dreamhosters.com/...us_No_2395.jpg

Unfortunately the top-holding bar goes over the front wheel where the
emergency dynamo is on my road bike instead of over the seat. Ok, I can
remove that dynamo. However, both my road bike and my MTB are
"rear-heavy" with panniers that contain lots of water, tools and such.
Are they still safe in those racks?

The other question is, El Dorado Transit and others state to "remove
panniers and other baggage to allow safe operation of the bus". My
panniers look detachable but they are not, there is a lot of stuff
underneath that bolts and cinches them in place.

What's your experience?

The Swiss way is to have hooks from which you hang the bike by the front
wheel. This is common on both buses and on trains. And that means
removing panniers. The exceptions would be some local trains, where
bikes are just leaned against a padded area that is meant mainly for
people standing during rush hour, and a few trains in which the hooks
are only a bit above waist height.

All in all I'm a big fan of being able to travel with my bike by train.
An hour or two brings me to the mountains, and I don't have to end my
ride where it started. A yearly bike pass costs about $220.

Ned
Old September 17th 17, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 10:54:10 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
[...]

You're most lkely SOL with nom-removable panniers. I don't know of any bus transit that allows panniers to be left on the bicycle. Another thing to consider (if they did allow the loaded panniers to stay on the bike)is the potential for damage to your wheels as the bike moves sideways with those heavily loaded panniers whilst the bicycle wheels move side to side a bit when the bus isin motion. YMMV and probably does.

BTW, since some of the bus routes hereabouts goes onto a 60mph highway, I use an Arno strap to help secure the bike to the bus front rack. I know that even a hard bump won't cause the bike to leave the rack if the front wheel hook on the bus rack were to fail.

Cheers
Old September 17th 17, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-09-17 08:08, Ned Mantei wrote:
On 17-09-17 16:54, Joerg wrote:
[...]

That would be a no-go for me so I'd have to use my car like I do now.
Especially on an MTB you can't have panniers that are just slung over
the rack. Everything must be bolted and cinched in place or it goes
flying on the trail.

The exceptions would be some local trains, where
bikes are just leaned against a padded area that is meant mainly for
people standing during rush hour, and a few trains in which the hooks
are only a bit above waist height.

All in all I'm a big fan of being able to travel with my bike by train.
An hour or two brings me to the mountains, and I don't have to end my
ride where it started. A yearly bike pass costs about $220.

We don't have deals like that here but public buses have come a long way
in the last five years for our county. Light rail allows bikes inside so
no problem. Buses unfortunately not. The other challenge is that you
can't count on availability for the way back. If both racks are occupied
you are screwed, have to pedal back and be late. So I'd only use it for
the way out even though that's downhill.

Old September 17th 17, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-09-17 08:26, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Thanks. That means I'll have to keep using my car :-(

One of those trips would be next week. There is a nice "race track
style" bike path along a canal where you can really put the coals on and
the last bus stop is only a few miles from where it starts.

BTW, since some of the bus routes hereabouts goes onto a 60mph
highway, I use an Arno strap to help secure the bike to the bus front
rack. I know that even a hard bump won't cause the bike to leave the
rack if the front wheel hook on the bus rack were to fail.

Good idea. I've got some of those but if they don't allow panniers I
can't use the bus. The bus does take a route along a 65mph highway.

I could call them about my fixed panniers but in the end this is all at
the discretion of the driver. If he or she says no it's no and then I'd
get stuck.

Old September 17th 17, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 9:34:56 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-09-17 08:08, Ned Mantei wrote:
On 17-09-17 16:54, Joerg wrote:
[...]

The problem with the train is that they only accept boxed bikes in the luggage car. Though I'm sure I remember just tying my bike against the wall none of my touring friends seem to remember that.
Old September 17th 17, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 12:34:56 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
That would be a no-go for me so I'd have to use my car like I do now.
Especially on an MTB you can't have panniers that are just slung over
the rack. Everything must be bolted and cinched in place or it goes
flying on the trail.

Snipped

That's funny. I use my MTB to tour on really rough dirt roads and trails in Northern Ontario and I've NEVER had to bolt my panniers to the bike rack to keep the panniers from bouncing off. I do use an Arno strap to secure them though. I like to be able to remove my panniers QUICKLY if setting up camp in the rain.

Cheers
Old September 17th 17, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

DESIGN....WITH CARDBOARD TEMPLATE...an adapter plate between permanent hooking and bag hooking that is temporary....plate can be cut 1 piece tehn cut out for lightness

temp bag hookups made longer vertically wider hookup horizontally prob equal performance of the OEM design as OEM maybe cost derived.

No, placing your defining luggage on bus front is mostly an imbecilic idea
Old September 18th 17, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Plate is .25 quality plywood..
Seasoned dry n carefully painted with Rustoleum esp end grain