Spokes/nipples, etc. for CXP33/Chris King wheels

Old July 9th 05, 04:01 AM
Scott Cooper

Default Spokes/nipples, etc. for CXP33/Chris King wheels

I am new to wheel building and have been reading up a lot on the topic
here and in Jobst Brandts book. I have a few sets of rims and hubs
that I will be working with but one of the wheel sets I want to build
up is for a TT/Multisport bike using a Cervelo P2k frame. I am only a
150lbs and anticipate using these wheels on good roads, etc. so I'm
leaning towards weight savings as opposed to building something that is
bomb proof.

That's the background, here are my questions...

The CXP33's I have are 28-hole...for the front, I have a CK Single
Speed (high flange) hub. I was thinking of using DT Revolution spokes
in either a radial or 1x spoke pattern. For the rear, I have a Chris
King Classic Road hub and I was thinking of going with the same spokes
in a radial-left, 2x-right pattern.

Any general thoughts on this setup?

In regard to spoke length, I've read a lot of posts that have only
confused me more...What is the ERD for CXP33's? I've seen it listed
different places and in different spoke calculators as 597, 598, 599,
and 600. Also, using spocalc from Sheldon Browns website, the CXP33 ERD
is "Mavic's Nipple Seat Dia + 3mm for nipples". Can someone explain
this to me?

Also, since I am new to wheelbuilding and am thinking of using the
Revolution spokes, I was thinking of using long (16mm) nipples to make
the wheels a bit stronger and easier to build (by having more of the
nipple exposed). I do understand that 12mm nipples will work with
these rims...does this seem like sound logic? How would this factor
into the spoke lenth calculation (I've seen some conflicting info a/b
how 16mm nipples effect spoke lentgh choice)?

Thanks for anyone willing to give me some feedback!

Old July 9th 05, 04:19 AM
jim beam

Scott Cooper wrote:
[...]

1. if you want light, you want open pro's, not cxp33's.
2. if you want better hub flange spacing, [and you do for
stability/strength/more even spoke tension ratio] you want shimano, not
chris king.
3. if you want ease of build for a first timer, you want competitions,
not revos.
4. if you want stiff wheels, you want competitions, not revos,
especially at lower spoke counts [though this may be academic at your
weight]
5. make sure you build with correct spoke tension for the rim - advice
you read advocating spoke "tension as high as the rim will bear" is
flawed and based on misconception - excess tension does not increase the
strength of the wheel and leads to rim reliability issues.
6. look up the spoke length on the d.t. swiss web site calculator.
those numbers are reliable.
7. if you want time trial bling, consider bladed spokes.

Old July 9th 05, 07:18 AM
Michael Press

In article
.com,
"Scott Cooper" wrote:

I am new to wheel building and have been reading up a lot on the topic
here and in Jobst Brandts book. I have a few sets of rims and hubs
that I will be working with but one of the wheel sets I want to build
up is for a TT/Multisport bike using a Cervelo P2k frame. I am only a
150lbs and anticipate using these wheels on good roads, etc. so I'm
leaning towards weight savings as opposed to building something that is
bomb proof.

Congratulations for taking up wheel building.
First build a pair of conservative bomb proof wheels to prove to
yourself that you can build a usable wheel. It is easier, even
necessary, to work well within the parameters when you embark upon
any new endeavor. Only then can you push toward a more highly
engineered wheel.

[...]

--
Michael Press
Old July 9th 05, 02:37 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Scott Cooper wrote:
I am new to wheel building and have been reading up a lot on the topic
here and in Jobst Brandts book. I have a few sets of rims and hubs
that I will be working with but one of the wheel sets I want to build
up is for a TT/Multisport bike using a Cervelo P2k frame. I am only a
150lbs and anticipate using these wheels on good roads, etc. so I'm
leaning towards weight savings as opposed to building something that is
bomb proof.

That's the background, here are my questions...

The CXP33's I have are 28-hole...for the front, I have a CK Single
Speed (high flange) hub. I was thinking of using DT Revolution spokes
in either a radial or 1x spoke pattern. For the rear, I have a Chris
King Classic Road hub and I was thinking of going with the same spokes
in a radial-left, 2x-right pattern.

Any general thoughts on this setup?

Use 2cross all around, 14/15 for the rear, Revs for the front.

16mm nipps, round down on the length and then subtract 1mm.

Old July 9th 05, 02:39 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

598mm is what I use.

Old July 9th 05, 03:08 PM
Scott Cooper

Jim,

I actually have a pair of Open Pros as well but I was going to use the
CXP's b/c of the [very] slight aero advantage they offer over OP's.
Also, while I want to build these on the light side, I'm not THAT
concerned with the weight. Besides, the CXPs are red and better match
the frame :-)

I'm not sure what you mean in regard to the hub flange spacing issue
between CK and Shimano. Can you point me to any references/discussions
on that topic? I would have thought that, especially with the high
flange/28-hole front hub, the CK would be one of the strongest out
there.

What is it a/b the revos that makes them harder to build with compared
with the comps?

Michael, I do intend on playing with some old and/or cheap stuff I have
laying around before building up this set.

Thank you both for the feedback.

Old July 9th 05, 03:16 PM
Lee

Scott Cooper wrote:

I am new to wheel building and have been reading up a lot on the topic
here and in Jobst Brandts book. I have a few sets of rims and hubs
that I will be working with but one of the wheel sets I want to build

In regard to spoke length, I've read a lot of posts that have only
confused me more...What is the ERD for CXP33's? I've seen it listed
different places and in different spoke calculators as 597, 598, 599,
and 600. Also, using spocalc from Sheldon Browns website, the CXP33 ERD
is "Mavic's Nipple Seat Dia + 3mm for nipples". Can someone explain
this to me?

I'm in the same boat. Have a couple of sets of rims/hubs to build up, have
not done this before.

ERDs, spoke length, etc are confusing to me. Lots of information on the web,
enough to keep me from doing anything.

So I stopped in at Harris Cyclery (Sheldon's roost), explained what I wanted
to do, asked what I should order, and gave them my credit card.

A week later I had the correct spokes and nipples (in black, no less) and
nipple prep.

If you're not local to a good bike shop, call Harris or Peter, tell them
what you have, ask them what you need, and place an order.

Lee

Old July 9th 05, 03:48 PM
daveornee

Scott Cooper Wrote:
[...]

I would use 2 cross all around for your existing 28 hole CXP-33 rims.
The ERD with nipple heads that are 3 mm thick is 598.
I would use Revolutions on the front and left rear (or Sapim Lase
14/17 DB). I would use DT Competition or Sapim Race 14/15 DB on th
right rear.
I would use Sapim 12 mm Polyax plated brass nipples all around.... as
prefer them with Sapim spokes. Longer nipples are not needed with thes
rims. 16 mm nipples won't make the build stronger, in fact they ma
make it weaker... depending on the nipples you choose.
You will need to use all the prescribed methods to deal with spok
wind-up no matter which spokes and nipples you use. I suggest teflo
bearing grease on the spoke threads, nipple heads where they bear o
rim socket interface, and on the rim socket/nipple interface... just t
be sure.
Spoke alignment, tension balancing, proper tension, and stres
relieving will give you the results you are looking for.
David Ornee, Western Springs, IL
dave at ornee dot ne

--
daveornee

Old July 9th 05, 05:33 PM
jim beam

Scott Cooper wrote:
Jim,

I actually have a pair of Open Pros as well but I was going to use the
CXP's b/c of the [very] slight aero advantage they offer over OP's.
Also, while I want to build these on the light side, I'm not THAT
concerned with the weight. Besides, the CXPs are red and better match
the frame :-)

I'm not sure what you mean in regard to the hub flange spacing issue
between CK and Shimano. Can you point me to any references/discussions
on that topic? I would have thought that, especially with the high
flange/28-hole front hub, the CK would be one of the strongest out
there.

it's not a function of hub strength, it's hub geometry. if you look at
the latest version of damon rinard's spoke calculator, he has a
calculation for the tension ratio between left & right sides of a dished
wheel. the formula is accessible if you're curious, but basically, the
smaller the distance from the center to the drive side flange, as is the
case with a dished rear, the greater the disparity in bracing angles
between the two sides. ck is 18.5mm, dura-ace is 21.1mm.

bracing angle is important for spoke tension because if the left side
tension is too low, and you're not using some form of thread lock, you
can have nipples loosening in use and have issues with keeping the rim
true. excessive slack can lead to spoke fatigue issues too. at 21.1mm,
shimano gives about 65% tension ratio, the ck only 57%. you can't just
increase right side tension to compensate because that can exceed rim
spec and the ratio is strictly a function of geometry.

excessively shallow bracing angle also affects lateral stability because
as bracing angle decreases, lateral flexibility increases.

What is it a/b the revos that makes them harder to build with compared
with the comps?

they're skinny so they have a lot of torsional twist. it's best to
practice with a few other wheel builds to get your hand in before using
skinny spokes - takes a lot more time & patience, so it's good to be
confident you know what you're doing first.

Michael, I do intend on playing with some old and/or cheap stuff I have
laying around before building up this set.

Thank you both for the feedback.

one final thing about the ck, while it is a beautifully made hub, it
also has an aluminum freehub body. call me old fashioned, but when i
remove a cassette and find the freehub body all mangled because the
alloy is not strong enough to cope with individual sprocket loadings, i
have a problem with the $350-odd i just spent on that hub. there's a
reason shimano use steel or ti on their shallow toothed freehub bodies -
those materials can take the loads resulting from their shallow toothed
cassette design. aluminum can't. if you want aluminum, you have to go
with the deep tooth design of the campy or d-a 10. but ck is not
available for campy, so you can't even use a campy cassette!!!

Old July 9th 05, 08:31 PM
Ivar Hesselager

8 Jul 2005 20:01:37 -0700, Scott Cooper skrev:

Also, since I am new to wheelbuilding and am thinking of using the
Revolution spokes, I was thinking of using long (16mm) nipples to make
the wheels a bit stronger and easier to build (by having more of the
nipple exposed). I do understand that 12mm nipples will work with
these rims...does this seem like sound logic? How would this factor
into the spoke lenth calculation (I've seen some conflicting info a/b
how 16mm nipples effect spoke lentgh choice)?

I like the CXP33 rim a lot and I have built 4 wheels with it within the
last two years. The first one I made with 12 mm nipples, and that was a
mistake. I strongly recommend you use 14 mm, as it is recommended by Mavic
as well as by DT Swiss.
You will probably scratch the coloring off the rim with the nipple wrench
if you use 12 mm nipples - even if you are carefull about it. Also I
rounded the edges of some of the 12 mm nibbles, but that was probably
partly due to my choice of the softer alu nibbles. However I did not have
that problem with the wheels I built with the 14 mm alu nibbles.

Good luck
Enjoy
Ivar