BHIT Bill - Tactics with Tories

Old January 24th 04, 07:45 PM
[Not Responding]

Default BHIT Bill - Tactics with Tories

I've been doing a bit of low key lobbying on this over the past couple
of weeks. Those of you who have connections with Conservative MPs
might like to try a slightly different tack. Rather than masses of
statistical detail and technical argument, point them back to their
Conservative core values.

As Conservatives we want small, non-inteferering government with a
minimum of legislation. We believe in personal responsibility and
individual freedoms. A law banning cycling without a certain type of
hat is counter to these beliefs.

I've had some very positive responses using this tack.
Old January 24th 04, 08:29 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:45:30 +0000, "[Not Responding]"
wrote:

As Conservatives we want small, non-inteferering government with a
minimum of legislation. We believe in personal responsibility and
individual freedoms. A law banning cycling without a certain type of
hat is counter to these beliefs.

Boris's comment was more or less along those lines, but not quite as
coherent.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old January 25th 04, 07:52 AM
Zog The Undeniable

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Boris's comment was more or less along those lines, but not quite as
coherent.

Stephen Norris's comments on helmets are the funniest by far.

Old January 25th 04, 10:20 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 07:52:14 +0000, Zog The Undeniable
wrote:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Boris's comment was more or less along those lines, but not quite as
coherent.

Stephen Norris's comments on helmets are the funniest by far.

Where can I read same?

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old January 25th 04, 10:50 AM
[Not Responding]

wrote:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Boris's comment was more or less along those lines, but not quite as
coherent.

Stephen Norris's comments on helmets are the funniest by far.

Which comment? If you mean the statement a couple of years ago that he
didn't think it is necessary to look like an alien in order to ride a
bike; he was spot on.

As long as cycling is perceived as a sport, indeed a *dangerous*
sport, it won't be possible to see bikes adopted as an everyday mode
of transport.
Old January 26th 04, 09:23 AM
W K

"[Not Responding]" wrote in message
I've been doing a bit of low key lobbying on this over the past couple
of weeks. Those of you who have connections with Conservative MPs
might like to try a slightly different tack. Rather than masses of
statistical detail and technical argument, point them back to their
Conservative core values.

"masses of detail" unlikely to do much good anyway.

As Conservatives we want small, non-inteferering government with a
minimum of legislation. We believe in personal responsibility and
individual freedoms. A law banning cycling without a certain type of
hat is counter to these beliefs.

( Not that tories don't mind laws that ban other people from doing things -
ie raves and pitbulls)

It should be a fairly useful tack also for Labour MPs.
We don't want too many laws, and a law should be useful. When tories invoke
the dreadful "nanny state" cliche, some of the stuff has some sort of minor
utility. Trouble is - "common sense" says hats are useful. BUT "common
sense" would also say that children riding bikes without helmets is not so
horrendous as to need laws and fines.

Note: ferry brochures to france often have images of children riding without
helmets - a selling point for france?

Old January 26th 04, 07:51 PM
Zog The Undeniable

wrote:

Stephen Norris's comments on helmets are the funniest by far.

Where can I read same?

From Cambridge Cycling Campaign's newsletter:

Life on Mars

* From Newsletter 43 (August/September 2002)

The rest of what Steven Norris (Chair of the National Cycling Strategy
Board) had to say in York recently was rather overshadowed by his
remarks on cycle helmets.

Asked why he wasn't wearing a helmet, he is reported to have said: 'I
think the idea that you have got to dress up like a bloody spaceman in
order to ride a bike is just completely potty. You should be looking at
cycling as something that normal, fat, middle-aged men like me do.

'If you are a young child you wear a helmet. My little four-year-old
does. I don't. I am big enough and ugly enough to know what I am doing
and I am not going to treat myself as some kind of Martian in order to
do something which I have got every right to do.'

BHIT Bill Just zis Guy, you know? UK 79 February 11th 04 10:38 PM
The BHIT Bill: What Next Just zis Guy, you know? UK 37 January 16th 04 09:58 PM
Write to your MP about the BHIT bill. David Martin UK 3 January 16th 04 07:44 PM