Time to hit RESET

Old May 28th 18, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Time to hit RESET

Shouldn't we admit to ourselves that the experiment of allowing private motor vehicles on public roads has failed.
Let's start again and restrict private motor vehicles to segregated motor paths.
In time, if motorists behave, they can be allowed more access to public roads on a probationary basis.
Old May 28th 18, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Shouldn't we admit to ourselves that the experiment of allowing private motor vehicles on public roads has failed.
Let's start again and restrict private motor vehicles to segregated motor paths.

A few years ago it was suggested here that motorists stay under ground in poorly ventilated tunnels, out of sight, out of mind. As they choke on the CO, CO2 and other exhaust products they'll switch to EV.

Musk is already doing that in LA.

Bret Cahill

In time, if motorists behave, they can be allowed more access to public roads on a probationary basis.

Old May 28th 18, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 28/05/18 14:35, Simon Jester wrote:

Shouldn't we admit to ourselves that the experiment of allowing
private motor vehicles on public roads has failed. Let's start again
and restrict private motor vehicles to segregated motor paths. In
time, if motorists behave, they can be allowed more access to public
roads on a probationary basis.

There are some good rules in other countries that we could adopt. eg,
Japan - prove you have a parking space before you can buy a car above a
certain size; USA - street cleaning; Netherlands, Denmark etc - taxes.

It would be all soooo unfair.
Old May 28th 18, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 9:20:00 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 28/05/18 14:35, Simon Jester wrote:

Shouldn't we admit to ourselves that the experiment of allowing
private motor vehicles on public roads has failed. Let's start again
and restrict private motor vehicles to segregated motor paths. In
time, if motorists behave, they can be allowed more access to public
roads on a probationary basis.

There are some good rules in other countries that we could adopt. eg,
Japan - prove you have a parking space before you can buy a car above a
certain size; USA - street cleaning; Netherlands, Denmark etc - taxes.

It would be all soooo unfair.

I have never understood why people think the section of public road adjacent to their property is reserved for their own personal use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv30jEA9QUc

Even Nugent would agree.

Old May 29th 18, 05:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Shouldn't we admit to ourselves that the experiment of allowing
private motor vehicles on public roads has failed. Let's start again
and restrict private motor vehicles to segregated motor paths. In
time, if motorists behave, they can be allowed more access to public
roads on a probationary basis.

There are some good rules in other countries that we could adopt. eg,
Japan - prove you have a parking space before you can buy a car above a
certain size; USA - street cleaning; Netherlands, Denmark etc - taxes.

It would be all soooo unfair.

I have never understood why people think the section of public road adjacent to their property is reserved for their own personal use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv30jEA9QUc

Even Nugent would agree.

Out in the desert it is usually easy to move off the road when two motorists are passing. If there's no oncoming traffic, then I stay on the white line. Usually the motorist will move over into the on coming traffic lane when no one else is on the road.

A few hours ago the motorist did not move over. I found myself in what in fluid dynamics they call the "boundary layer" of the vehicle. I was furious for about 3 seconds and if I had a gun may have shot at the offending vehicle.

But this was 30 km into the ride, it was 40 C, and I was as emaciated as that cougar who killed a cyclist last week.

After a few seconds I calmed down.

Bret Cahill

Old May 29th 18, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 29/05/18 05:00, Bret Cahill wrote:

Out in the desert it is usually easy to move off the road when two
motorists are passing. If there's no oncoming traffic, then I stay
on the white line. Usually the motorist will move over into the on
coming traffic lane when no one else is on the road.

Driving in your part of the world I noticed that there is usually a wide
strip to the right of the white line. We are not given that luxury.
Also, cars supplied in Europe are so wide now, relative to road width
(we should have taxes on both width and weight), that oncoming have to
make continuous adjustments just to pass each other.

A few hours ago the motorist did not move over. I found myself in
what in fluid dynamics they call the "boundary layer" of the vehicle.
I was furious for about 3 seconds and if I had a gun may have shot at
the offending vehicle.

It would be bow wave and wake. Cars are ok if there is room to recover
from the induced wobble but long vehicles have a low pressure region in
front of the back wheels. (I don't understand why your lorries aren't
required to have underrun bars - it's scary enough riding in a taxi in
the Boston Big Dig looking at unprotected wheels sometimes just three
feet away.)

Old May 30th 18, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Out in the desert it is usually easy to move off the road when two
motorists are passing. If there's no oncoming traffic, then I stay
on the white line. Usually the motorist will move over into the on
coming traffic lane when no one else is on the road.

Driving in your part of the world I noticed that there is usually a wide
strip to the right of the white line.

Depends on the road. The emergency lane doesn't exist in scenic "historical" highways. Also many cyclists don't use it because it isn't swept free of glass and/or has buckled. I don't know the exact stats but the odds of getting hit fall off exponentially so I go to the extreme edge no matter what. I double tubed one wheel, both tubes w/ reduced amounts of conventional sealant and the other tire has a high viscosity sealant.

We are not given that luxury.

On the plus side the UK government is working on driverless or autonomous vehicles which could help a lot.

The state buys traffic lights, signs and paint to help guide human driven cars. There is absolutely no reason for the government not to agree upon and buy smart lights, RFID, reflectors and smart signs -- all dirt cheap -- to help guide autonomous.

Google, Uber, Tesla, et. al., are making it 100X more difficult, expensive and dangerous than necessary w/o government coordination. If they want to do everything "in the wild" they need to start off with cheap low profile styrofoam delivery vehicles.

If you hit a pedestrian or cyclist you might **** them off but you wouldn't kill anyone.

Log a few million miles w/o incident and then transfer it to a real car.

Also, cars supplied in Europe are so wide now, relative to road width
(we should have taxes on both width and weight), that oncoming have to
make continuous adjustments just to pass each other.

A few hours ago the motorist did not move over. I found myself in
what in fluid dynamics they call the "boundary layer" of the vehicle.
I was furious for about 3 seconds and if I had a gun may have shot at
the offending vehicle.

It would be bow wave and wake. Cars are ok if there is room to recover
from the induced wobble but long vehicles have a low pressure region in
front of the back wheels. (I don't understand why your lorries aren't
required to have underrun bars - it's scary enough riding in a taxi in
the Boston Big Dig looking at unprotected wheels sometimes just three
feet away.)

Sometimes you can get results with just a letter if you can wake them up.

It's necessary to be a little "in your face" or they'll lump you in with some issue that isn't even remotely related to your cause.

Bret Cahill