If your attention span is shorter even than your dick, this is theversion for you

Old August 25th 10, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default If your attention span is shorter even than your dick, this is theversion for you

On Aug 24, 9:40*am, Tom Sherman wrote:
On 8/23/2010 3:54 PM, André Jute wrote:

[...]

TLDR

--
Tom Sherman

Here's the irreducible soundbite version:

• Most fatal crashes (74%) involved a head injury.
• Nearly all bicyclists who died (97%) were not wearing a helmet.
• Helmet use was only 3% in fatal crashes, but 13% in non-fatal
crashes

Source:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/download...ike-report.pdf

This concatenation of facts suggests very strongly that not wearing a
helmet may be particularly dangerous.

HTH.

Andre Jute
Thank God I'm not handicapped by a short attention span and an
inadequate education
Old August 25th 10, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Edward Dolan

Default Andre Jute needs to wise up

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
[...]
Thank God I'm not handicapped by a short attention span and an

inadequate education.

I have spent my life reading the most long-winded books ever created by man.
But I am fed up with it. It belongs to the 19th and 20th centuries, not the
21st century.

My brother had to personally deal with Johnny Carson (The Tonight Show) and
the first thing he was told was that Carson had a very short attention span.
We are now living in a world where everyone has a short attention span. It
does not have much to do with education. It has to do with getting to the
point.

I know Tom Sherman rather well having done battle with him on Usenet for
many years. He is smart as a whip and if he tells you that what you write is
too long, I would listen to him. Our world of reading on and on is gone
forever. I attribute it all to the new technology. Let's face it, who reads
books anymore?

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old August 25th 10, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Andre Jute[_2_]

Sorry, Ed. You're mistaking me for someone who gives a **** for the
opinion of Sherman, or you, for that matter. Show me first that you're
not useless eaters, then we can negotiate. Until then. -- AJ

Old August 25th 10, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 24, 8:22*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
On Aug 24, 9:40*am, Tom Sherman wrote:

On 8/23/2010 3:54 PM, André Jute wrote:

[...]

TLDR

--
Tom Sherman

Here's the irreducible soundbite version:

• Most fatal crashes (74%) involved a head injury.
• Nearly all bicyclists who died (97%) were not wearing a helmet.
• Helmet use was only 3% in fatal crashes, but 13% in non-fatal
crashes

Source:http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/download...ike-report.pdf

This concatenation of facts suggests very strongly that not wearing a
helmet may be particularly dangerous.

HTH.

Andre Jute
Thank God I'm not handicapped by a short attention span and an
inadequate education

Education and attention span don't have a bit to do with it. I has to
do with content and style. Only an ignoramus would assume that because
the post is long someone must have the desire to read the entire
piece. You need to be educated to know that people will read what they
are interested in if it appeals to their aesthetic sense.
Unfortunately many of the authors who send their endless cathartic
diatribes haven't realized that (1) most readers don't give a **** and
(2) the authors themselves are obviously illiterate if they need to
write an encyclopedia to articulate a meaningless idea.
Old August 25th 10, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
James[_8_]

On Aug 25, 12:45*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

I have spent my life reading the most long-winded books ever created by man.
But I am fed up with it. It belongs to the 19th and 20th centuries, not the
21st century.

How long did it take you to realise this?

My brother had to personally deal with Johnny Carson (The Tonight Show) and
the first thing he was told was that Carson had a very short attention span.
We are now living in a world where everyone has a short attention span. It
does not have much to do with education. It has to do with getting to the
point.

Though more patience would perhaps improve ones chances of being
better educated. A lack of patience does seem to be a common trait.
Everyone appears to want instant pudding. You can observe the
condition everywhere in modern society. Home, roads, shopping
centres, work place, etc.

Attention span is directly linked to interest level and patience.
Johnny boy, obviously was impatient and didn't really give a hoot.
I've never been bothered to read pulp fiction, preferring to wait
until the motion picture arrives, proving that it doesn't really
interest me, only just enough to sit through the movie. However I'm
quite happy to spend all day and into the night casting dry flies to
unsuspecting trout. This gets my full attention. For some of us,
patience is still a virtue.

Cheers,
James.
Old August 25th 10, 05:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Aug 25, 4:50*am, James wrote:

I'm
quite happy to spend all day and into the night casting dry flies to
unsuspecting trout. *This gets my full attention. *For some of us,
patience is still a virtue.

Ha! You've risen in my estimation. I can spend days on the river; I
live over it. Most of the time I don't even put a fly on the hook.
Just the flash of sunlight on the metal should be enough to attract
the attention of a trout or a salmon. Of course, there is always some
American tourist who'll tell you the hook is bare, and one lady in
unsuitable shorts caught a locust and brought it to me and offered to
show me how to bait the hook...

Mr Trevor sold sports gear in the village until, an old, old man, he
died. One day I was in there when an American, standing over a bag of
at least half a dozen brandnew Shakespear rods, had just about every
reel of line on the counter, each one not good enough for him. I was
just waiting for it. And right on cue the American asked, 'Don't you
have any pre-stretched line?' Mr Trevor looked him straight in the eye
and said, 'Sir, if you don't have time to stretch your own line, you
don't have time to fish.'

Andre Jute
QED, but the fish don't agree
Old August 25th 10, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Edward Dolan

"Andre Jute" wrote in message

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

Sorry, Ed. You're mistaking me for someone who gives a **** for the

opinion of Sherman, or you, for that matter. Show me first that you're
not useless eaters, then we can negotiate. Until then. -- AJ

You are posting long-winded messages (about helmets of all subjects) which
no one in their right mind would ever read except for a fellow asshole like
Frank K. The two of you certainly deserve one another. Mr. Sherman and I
are both showing the entire newsgroup what a fool you are. I assure you that
neither of us gives a damn about you or your opinions. That is a given. But
we hate long-winded messages which go nowhere. How presumptuous of you to
think anyone wants to read long-winded ****.

The subject of helmets has been done to death. Were you born yesterday? You
and Frank K. are a couple of morons to even be discussing it. Did the mists
of Ireland make you this stupid?

Andre Jute (re the remark about a useless eater) is no doubt a hard working
slob, but of course not a smart working slob. May he labor by the sweat of
his brow unit he drops dead of exhaustion like the dumb animal he is. The
world will never know that he even existed. That is ever the lot of those
who work by the sweat of their brow.

Your next post about those god damn ****ing helmets will reap the whirlwind
from me. I can't believe there are still those who think this is a subject
worth writing about. What a sodden backwoodsman you must be! Time for you to
get out of ****ing Ireland and back to the real world.

Old August 25th 10, 05:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
On Aug 24, 8:22 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Thank God I'm not handicapped by a short attention span and an
inadequate education

Education and attention span don't have a bit to do with it. I has to

do with content and style. Only an ignoramus would assume that because
the post is long someone must have the desire to read the entire
piece. You need to be educated to know that people will read what they
are interested in if it appeals to their aesthetic sense.
Unfortunately many of the authors who send their endless cathartic
diatribes haven't realized that (1) most readers don't give a **** and
(2) the authors themselves are obviously illiterate if they need to
write an encyclopedia to articulate a meaningless idea.

Wow! Where have you been all of my life. You said it better than I ever
could.

It is indeed easy to extract all kinds of meaningless **** from the Web, but
if you don't say it concisely in your own words it is all for naught. If a
post is long I will not bother with it and neither will anyone else that has
any brains. I think a few short paragraphs is the max that anyone will put
up with.Those who write long diatribes are among the most stupid people who
have ever lived. It's as if they have no sense at all.

Old August 25th 10, 05:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Default André Jute needs to wise up

On 8/24/2010 11:15 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
Andre Jute (re the remark about a useless eater) is no doubt a hard working
slob, but of course not a smart working slob. May he labor by the sweat of
his brow unit he drops dead of exhaustion like the dumb animal he is. The
world will never know that he even existed. That is ever the lot of those
who work by the sweat of their brow.[...]

It is alleged that Mr. Jute is a "remittance man" and he apparently is
also a author, both as "André Jute" (non-fiction) and "Andrew McCoy"
(fiction).

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old August 25th 10, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Edward Dolan

"James" wrote in message
On Aug 25, 12:45 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

I have spent my life reading the most long-winded books ever created by
man.
But I am fed up with it. It belongs to the 19th and 20th centuries, not
the
21st century.

How long did it take you to realise this?

I pretty much stopped reading by age 50. Once the computer came along, I
stopped altogether.

My brother had to personally deal with Johnny Carson (The Tonight Show)
and
the first thing he was told was that Carson had a very short attention
span.
We are now living in a world where everyone has a short attention span. It
does not have much to do with education. It has to do with getting to the
point.

Though more patience would perhaps improve ones chances of being

better educated. A lack of patience does seem to be a common trait.
Everyone appears to want instant pudding. You can observe the
condition everywhere in modern society. Home, roads, shopping
centres, work place, etc.

The world is changing rapidly right before our eyes. I attribute most of the
change to the electronic media, especially computers.

Attention span is directly linked to interest level and patience.

Johnny boy, obviously was impatient and didn't really give a hoot.
I've never been bothered to read pulp fiction, preferring to wait
until the motion picture arrives, proving that it doesn't really
interest me, only just enough to sit through the movie. However I'm
quite happy to spend all day and into the night casting dry flies to
unsuspecting trout. This gets my full attention. For some of us,
patience is still a virtue.

Yes, interest determines what we will spend time on. I was once interested
in reading every book in our local public library. Alas, those days are gone
forever.