Tonight: August's NYC Critical Mass Ride [BNC]

Old August 27th 04, 02:59 PM
There Are No Leaders

Default Tonight: August's NYC Critical Mass Ride [BNC]

[Also Posted to critical-mass]

http://nyc.indymedia.org/newswire/di...4002/index.php

[That URL is identical to this message, plus it's got
that excellent Jim Swanson graphic on it.]

It's the last Friday of the month again, and as always, we
are riding our bikes on our streets.

When: Friday, August 27th, 2004 at 7:00pm
Whe Union Square, North
(17th St between Broadway and Park Ave)

Time to hop on your bikes, skates, scooters, and anything else
without a motor and take to the streets for a nonpolluting
celebration! Just like every other month -- but also unlike
every month. Each ride is what you make it, so in addition
to your ride, bring your ideas and creations. Or just your
sweet self.

Critical Mass, an international event held in almost 400 cities
around the world, occurs on the last Friday of every month in
Manhattan when bicyclists spontaneously come together to ride
the ordinarily car-clogged streets of their cities. Critical
Mass focuses on the rights of bicyclists and the rights of
pedestrians to our own streets, and on our rights to free
speech. It also brings attention to the deteriorating quality
of life -- starting with the toxic levels of air and noise
pollution -- that cars create for cities.

This month there are politicians in town who might not
appreciate this sort of attention. All are welcome, however,
provided they show up on bikes, skates, horse-cycles, or
similarly human-powered devices; and are prepared to experience
convivial, nonpolluting social space.

TIME'S UP! encourages people to read, print, and distribute this
"We're Glad You're Here intro to Critical Mass (PDF file, 62KB)

http://www.scorcher.org/screed/pdf/glad-youre-here.pdf

TIME'S UP! is hosting a Bike National Convention with more bike
events. Check it out:

http://www.times-up.org/bnc/index.php

For more on Critical Mass in NYC:

http://www.times-up.org/cm.php

And around the world:

http://www.critical-mass.org/
Old August 27th 04, 05:59 PM
Carl Kalman

"there are no leaders" is an inadequate attempt to avoid prosecution when
someone gets hurt or killed.
Jym is known to the NYPD as the organizer, director of Critical Mass events
in NYC, and will be held accountable. If you get hurt or arrested on this
organized event, get good legal representation.

Old August 27th 04, 09:42 PM
Jym Dyer

Jym is known to the NYPD as the organizer, director of
Critical Mass events in NYC, and will be held accountable.

=v= Really? The NYPD told you this, did they?

=v= I was unaware that I directed anything, but maybe I was
volunteered for the job while I was off taking a nap.

=v= I do own the Brooklyn Bridge (the deed was a steal! --
long story), and I was happy to let the Mothers Opposed to
Bush push their strollers across it today. The NYPD went
out with helicopters, I guess because they thought the
babies were a menace. Can I hold them accountable for
annoying peole on my bridge?
_Jym_

Old August 27th 04, 09:50 PM
Bikerman2004

There Are No Leaders Wrote:
[Also Posted to critical-mass

Critical Mass, an international event held in almost 400 citie
around the world, occurs on the last Friday of every month i
Manhattan when bicyclists spontaneously come together to rid
the ordinarily car-clogged streets of their cities.

If its scheduled on the last Friday of every month, how can it b
spontaneous

--
Bikerman2004