Review My View on Bike Safety?

Old August 25th 04, 11:11 PM
Steven Goodridge

(Marc VanHeyningen) wrote

I suspect that they actually mean "among the products regulated by the
CPSC, there are more deaths and/or injuries involving bicycles than any
other product." Most motor vehicles, drugs, chemicals, guns, etc. are
regulated by other agencies.

It makes me think that the CPSC considers bicycles to be toys and not
a transportation vehicle.

Yup.

This is why I think that regulation of adult bicycles should be
removed from the CPSC and given to the same USDOT organizations that
regulate cars and motorcycles. That way we might get meaningful safety
regulations (like better standards for lights and reflectors than the
CPSC's toy reflectors) and less incompetent meddling with issues that
the CPSC is demonstrably unqualified to regulate.

-Steve Goodridge
http://humantransport.org
Old August 26th 04, 03:33 AM
Pete

"Steven Goodridge" wrote

This is why I think that regulation of adult bicycles should be
removed from the CPSC and given to the same USDOT organizations that
regulate cars and motorcycles. That way we might get meaningful safety
regulations (like better standards for lights and reflectors than the
CPSC's toy reflectors) and less incompetent meddling with issues that
the CPSC is demonstrably unqualified to regulate.

I think we should get both of them out of the business. Let the current laws
(lights required at night, etc) do their job.

The USDOT concept falls apart because a significant % of bikes are not used
for 'transportation'. And a bike can change roles from recreation to
transportation rapidly.

Pete

Old August 28th 04, 01:39 AM
alan

....and automobiles can likewise change from transportation to recreation
devices. There's no 'use' guideline for any other road-going vehicle.
Bicycles should have to meet uniform standards set by the federal DOT, just
like any other vehicle. We should have dependable lighting and rreflectors,
not toys.

--

alan

Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily Oklahoman."