Ride Pictures: Reds Meadow, September 2005

Old October 30th 05, 01:34 AM
Bill Bushnell

Default Ride Pictures: Reds Meadow, September 2005

September 14, 2005

This was a short day. Having done a long hike the day before my dad and
I took the morning off to check email, read, and relax around the house.
But the weather was ideal for getting outside: sunny and clear, cool,
but little wind, and I couldn't resist getting out for a short ride.

From our condo in Mammoth I rode up to the ski resort and then over
Minaret Summit and down the west side to the end of the road at Reds
Meadow Resort and back. Once past the Summit the road is closed to
general traffic, so the only motor traffic was the occasional shuttle
bus (that the day-use public has to take) and camper/motorhome going to
one of the campgrounds on the west side of the pass.

As I rode down the hill and back up mostly in solitude I recall that
during the Reagan Administration (CA governor) this road was considered
as another through crossing of the Sierra Crest. But it was said that
the idea was abandoned after Reagan was given a tour of the area.

The day I did the ride the air was thick with smoke from controlled
burns in Yosemite. Even so, the distant views are still spectacular.

(31.1 miles; 3250 feet climbing; 1314 kJoules)

http://tinyurl.com/7hlls

While there are number of interesting roads on which to ride bike in the
Sierras, I've always felt that the best way to see the beauty of these
mountains up close is on foot. Most of my trips to the Sierras see me
spending most of my time hiking.

During the week I took these pictures and the ones from the High Sierra
Fall Century that I posted earlier I took six hikes altogether, most of
them short to moderate length. Of particular interest to bikers or
motorists who may be traveling over Tioga Rd. are two short hikes, in
particular, Lembert Dome and Gaylor Peak, that start from Tioga Rd. that
offer much bang for the buck and give one a "peak experience" that can't
be had from the road.

The hike in the Hetch Hetchy area that we visited by car on our drive
back to the bay area would be especially good as a bike & hike as the
roads from CA120 through Mather are in excellent condition, offer easy
grades, and have very little traffic. Since the roads and trails don't
rise above about 5000 feet the area would be accessible during spring
and fall and probably part of the winter. Those of us who get our
drinking water from Hetch Hetchy ought to make the pilgrimage at least
once to see O'Shaughnessy Dam and Yosemite's other valley.

http://tinyurl.com/7zkco

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/