Commuting to Canary Wharf - advice sought

Old January 26th 09, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

Default Commuting to Canary Wharf - advice sought

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, congokid wrote:

In article
,
" writes

. I can't understand why there's not a lot more river
transport in London. Seems the perfect way of getting around.

There used to be a river bus service, and it was slow, uncomfortable and
expensive.

It appears the current riverboat service could get me from very near
where I live to very near where I used to work (Blackfriars) in about 25
minutes, which certainly beats the bus and tube, but I can't find any
timetables or fares online. What I can find suggests that services are
very infrequent.

Not in he

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1131.aspx
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ares/4891.aspx

?

The useful ferry services, IME, generally only run 3 or 4 services each
way a day, in the peaks. Good for commuting, no use for anything else.

tom

--
Finals make a man mean; let's fusc up and write!
Old January 27th 09, 02:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Daniel Barlow

Tom Anderson writes:

Interesting point. I've never heard serious consideration given to
doing this - i wonder why not? Is there nowhere else to send the
buses? Is there too much demand for destinations along or near the
ends of Oxford Street? Has it just not occurred to anyone?

I find it hard to believe that anyone would knowingly choose to travel
the length of Oxford St on a bus unless they had oodles of free time
or had some infirmity preventing then from walking. Or if the weather
was really awful, perhaps.

And by extension, I at least am very reticent to catch a bus that even
*enters* Oxford St unless I know at which six of the seventy-three
billion bus stops it will actually open its doors, because there's
nothng worse than being stopped in traffic at the wrong bus stop for
five minutes when it's only a couple of hundred metres to the right
bus stop.

That said, the streets to the immediate north and south are a mess of
one-way systems and there's not really a good "through route" that's
both parallel and close unless you're a pedestrian.

Old January 27th 09, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

On Jan 26, 5:01*pm, congokid wrote:
In article
,
" writes

. I can't understand why there's not a lot more river
transport in London. Seems the perfect way of getting around.

There used to be a river bus service, and it was slow, uncomfortable and
expensive.

It appears the current riverboat service could get me from very near
where I live to very near where I used to work (Blackfriars) in about 25
minutes, which certainly beats the bus and tube, but I can't find any
timetables or fares online. What I can find suggests that services are
very infrequent.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...http://congokid.com

See www.thamesclippers.com

Timetable looks pretty frequent and reasonably fast to me, though
depends of course where you want to go. e.g. Embankment to C Wharf in
30 mins, Blackfriars to C Wharf in 20 mins. Services every 20 mins
at peak. Could always be improved but must be useful to many.
Old January 27th 09, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
congokid

In article , Tom
Anderson writes
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, congokid wrote:

I can't find any timetables or fares online. What I can find suggests
that services are very infrequent.

Not in he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1131.aspx
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ares/4891.aspx

Thanks, Tom - I spent about 15 unfruitful minutes on the site trying to
find these!

The peak commuter times look OK, as does the journey length, but I think
GBP49.50 for 10 journeys between Chelsea and Blackfriars is expensive.

What I found uncomfortable about the river bus service, when it existed,
was the almost hermetically sealed seating deck, with no windows to
open, no outside deck area, and very little room to store bags or other
luggage such as folding bikes.

Another route that would have been useful to me at one time was Chelsea
to Canary Wharf, but that doesn't seem to be possible at present
entirely by river.

I must take a look at Chelsea Harbour Pier some morning to see if anyone
actually uses it. The gangway looks permanently locked up at other
times.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
http://congokid.com

Technical advice sought please. salmon UK 11 February 18th 07 11:46 AM
Canary Wharf TooSore UK 11 February 25th 06 11:48 PM
Advice on best lock sought Rudi Lutz UK 17 September 26th 05 01:22 PM
Cycling into Canary Wharf Vivian UK 2 May 9th 04 08:49 PM
Cycle Commute from Kilburn to Canary Wharf Steve Nelson UK 15 January 23rd 04 01:40 AM