Olympics - shock news from Manchester

Old May 14th 07, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

Default Olympics - shock news from Manchester

Manchester Evening News are outraged to learn that the cycling events
of the 2012 Games will not be held at the Manchester Velodrome.
Instead, a velodrome is being built in East London apparently. You
heard it here first. :-)

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/
1006/1006855_olympic_snub_to_cycling_venue.html

--
Dave...

Old May 15th 07, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

dkahn400 wrote:
Manchester Evening News are outraged to learn that the cycling events
of the 2012 Games will not be held at the Manchester Velodrome.
Instead, a velodrome is being built in East London apparently. You
heard it here first. :-)

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/
1006/1006855_olympic_snub_to_cycling_venue.html

I suspect that things may change as the "Wembley effect" increases
through 2011 and people find it's costing several gazillion more than
the initial projections as well as being late.

The thing about having to be in London sounds like ********(TM) to me:
where are they having the sailing, on the Serpentine?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old May 15th 07, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Forcer

On Tue, 15 May 2007 08:23, Peter Clinch wrote:

I suspect that things may change as the "Wembley effect" increases
through 2011 and people find it's costing several gazillion more than
the initial projections as well as being late.

Provided it's REALLY late and the developer/management company haven't
got past the point of no return as far as lobbying strength is
concerned.

The thing about having to be in London sounds like ********(TM)
to me: where are they having the sailing, on the Serpentine?

Weymouth.

--
Tim Forcer
The University of Southampton, UK

The University is not responsible for my opinions

Old May 15th 07, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

dkahn400 said the following on 14/05/2007 16:57:
Manchester Evening News are outraged to learn that the cycling events
of the 2012 Games will not be held at the Manchester Velodrome.
Instead, a velodrome is being built in East London apparently. You
heard it here first. :-)

I thought this was really old news, and that the Eastway circuit in
London was demolished months ago specifically to make way for the
Olympic Velodrome.

References he
http://www.mbuk.com/newsdetails.asp?id=539
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/roa/News2005/20051007_eastway_relocation.asp

I'm sure there's loads more references out there.

I think there's a ****ed-off feeling amongst the Eastway people, who
gave up their circuit for the Velodrome, because the promised MTB bit
has been shrunk down to the size of a dinner table. The ongoing saga
has been reported in MTB mags over the last few months.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old May 15th 07, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

I suspect that things may change as the "Wembley effect" increases
through 2011 and people find it's costing several gazillion more than
the initial projections as well as being late.

"Whatever the IOC decide about London's Olympic bid, the city is to get a
£20million cycling centre, including a 3000 seater velodrome, aimed at
boosting sport and cycling in the way that Manchester's track has done."

www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=191
www.britishcycling.org.uk/news/2005/02_February/15_olympic_track.shtml
www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=1560

As it was decided to build a permanent facility whether or not London got
he bid, I'd be surprised if it fell through.
Old May 15th 07, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

On May 15, 8:23 am, Peter Clinch wrote:

I suspect that things may change as the "Wembley effect" increases
through 2011 and people find it's costing several gazillion more than
the initial projections as well as being late.

The thing about having to be in London sounds like ********(TM) to me:
where are they having the sailing, on the Serpentine?

Yes, that part is ******** but it's been well known for ages that a
velodrome was being built in East London for the Games. I just thought
the article was amusing with its Manchester slant on the story and its
pretence that this was somehow a snub to Manchester.

From a cycling point of view I don't think we can have too many

velodromes. The Manchester facility is superb of course, but we need a
modern one in London too.

--
Dave...

Old May 15th 07, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Paul Boyd
('usenet.dont.work@plusnet') wrote:

I think there's a ****ed-off feeling amongst the Eastway people, who
gave up their circuit for the Velodrome, because the promised MTB bit
has been shrunk down to the size of a dinner table. Â*The ongoing saga
has been reported in MTB mags over the last few months.

The idea of running the Olympic cross country on an east London rubbish tip
when the country boasts some of the finest cross country tracks in the
world is laughable.

A popular and well known phrase including the words '****up' and 'brewery'
comes to mind.

,/| _.--''^``-...___.._.,;
/, \'. _-' ,--,,,--'''
{ \ `_-'' ' /
`;;' ; ; ;
._..--'' ._,,, _..' .;.'
(,_....----''' (,..--''

Old May 15th 07, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Simon Brooke said the following on 15/05/2007 09:35:

The idea of running the Olympic cross country on an east London rubbish tip
when the country boasts some of the finest cross country tracks in the
world is laughable.

Well, I must admit that although I don't know much about the Eastway
circuit, the photos I have seen made me wonder what the fuss was about.
It looked like a cross country track on an East London rubbish tip :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old May 15th 07, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Simon Brooke wrote:

The idea of running the Olympic cross country on an east London rubbish tip
when the country boasts some of the finest cross country tracks in the
world is laughable.

A popular and well known phrase including the words '****up' and 'brewery'
comes to mind.

cynicYou are foolishly assuming that the quality of the /actual
cycling/ has anything much to do with it compared to how easy it is for
camera crews and spectators to get an easy look in.../cynic

One reason orienteers are more or less resigned to never making the
Olympics is our sport isn't TV/spectator friendly. Hey ho, means we get
to compete in good venues rather than have the sport mangled to fit
someone else's idea of what's "needed".

Pete.
Old May 15th 07, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

On May 15, 9:35 am, Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Paul Boyd

('usenet.dont.work@plusnet') wrote:
I think there's a ****ed-off feeling amongst the Eastway people, who
gave up their circuit for the Velodrome, because the promised MTB bit
has been shrunk down to the size of a dinner table. The ongoing saga
has been reported in MTB mags over the last few months.

The idea of running the Olympic cross country on an east London rubbish tip
when the country boasts some of the finest cross country tracks in the
world is laughable.

A popular and well known phrase including the words '****up' and 'brewery'
comes to mind.

To be a successful venue it has to be able to charge for entry (how
many existing XC venues can do that) and be amenable to television
access. Given a clean slate and a big pile of earth, there is no
reason why a suitable, challenging course cannot be built on a rubbish
tip in East London.

...d

Olympics Carl Sundquist Racing 8 February 21st 06 07:51 PM
FS: Shock spring for Manitou Swinger rear shock Todd Marketplace 0 February 8th 05 03:51 AM
Olympics What Is That HikeLakeTahoe Australia 1 August 26th 04 03:43 AM
When is the MTB Olympics on?? hippy Mountain Biking 2 August 19th 04 11:11 AM