Most Bike Friendly City in the world? Armsterdam

Old January 7th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Red Cloud

Default Most Bike Friendly City in the world? Armsterdam

In the most bike friendly city in the world: Armsterdam.
38% uses bike as everyday transporation.
23% uses auto as everyday transporatio.
30% uses bus or tram as everyday transporation.

In the least bike friendly city in the world: Los angeles, NY,
Chicaco, any big city in US.
0.5% uses bike as everyday transporation.
90% uses auto as everyday transporation.
2% uses bus as everday transporation.
Old January 7th 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

In the most bike friendly city in the world: Armsterdam.
38% uses bike as everyday transporation.
23% uses auto as everyday transporatio.
30% uses bus or tram as everyday transporation.

In the least bike friendly city in the world: Los angeles, NY,
Chicaco, any big city in US.
0.5% uses bike as everyday transporation.
90% uses auto as everyday transporation.
2% uses bus as everday transporation.

Did you determine that Amsterdam is the most-friendly for bikes because so
many people ride, or is it because it's so friendly for bikes that causes so
many to ride? There's a very significant difference between the two.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Old January 7th 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

someone writes:

In the most bike friendly city in the world: Armsterdam.
38% uses bike as everyday transporation.
23% uses auto as everyday transporatio.
30% uses bus or tram as everyday transporation.

In the least bike friendly city in the world: Los angeles, NY,
Chicaco, any big city in US.
0.5% uses bike as everyday transporation.
90% uses auto as everyday transporation.
2% uses bus as everday transporation.

The most bicycle friendly community I have experienced is the Stanford
University campus. LSJU has a free bus system (full sized transit
buses) with counter rotating regular service that loops around the
campus from the local bus/train station. Little auto parking is
offered for general use with most faculty and student parking by
permit in outlying areas. Auto accessible inner campus areas offer
only short term parking.

Therefore, the campus has little car traffic and many stop signs, none
of which are required stops for bicyclists except in the event of
contention with other bicycles (and motorized traffic including the
bus). Inner areas around the academic buildings are
pedestrian/bicycle malls only. In this mode, high speed bicycling is
out of place as is keeping to the right. It's a smoothly working
scramble amble with bicycles and pedestrians.

Depending on the density of foot and bicycle traffic, maximum bicycle
speed is about 15mph. The system has been working well for years now
and from what I see, I'm sure other schools with as much space as
Stanford has, probably have similar systems. This is the truly
bicycle friendly community as I see it.

Lastly, I don't think the statistics cited above are related to
whether a community is bicycle friendly or not.

Jobst Brandt
Old January 8th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_4_]

In the most bike friendly city in the world: Armsterdam.
38% uses bike as everyday transporation.
23% uses auto as everyday transporatio.
30% uses bus or tram as everyday transporation.

In the least bike friendly city in the world: Los angeles, NY,
Chicaco, any big city in US.
0.5% uses bike as everyday transporation.
90% uses auto as everyday transporation.
2% uses bus as everday transporation.

Did you determine that Amsterdam is the most-friendly for bikes because so
many people ride, or is it because it's so friendly for bikes that causes
so many to ride? There's a very significant difference between the two.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

No, no, no, Mike! It's Armsterdam! He doesn't need facts! He only needs
anything that can be spun as Anti-USA.
Now, if we only knew where Armsterm is located....

Pat in TX

Old January 8th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Pat ? wrote:
In the most bike friendly city in the world: Armsterdam.
38% uses bike as everyday transporation.
23% uses auto as everyday transporatio.
30% uses bus or tram as everyday transporation.

In the least bike friendly city in the world: Los angeles, NY,
Chicaco, any big city in US.
0.5% uses bike as everyday transporation.
90% uses auto as everyday transporation.
2% uses bus as everday transporation.

Did you determine that Amsterdam is the most-friendly for bikes because so
many people ride, or is it because it's so friendly for bikes that causes
so many to ride? There's a very significant difference between the two.

No, no, no, Mike! It's Armsterdam! He doesn't need facts! He only needs
anything that can be spun as Anti-USA.
Now, if we only knew where Armsterm is located....

Where is "Chicaco" located?

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth
Old January 8th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jym Dyer

In the least bike friendly city in the world: Los angeles, NY,
Chicaco, any big city in US.
[Made-up statistics.]

=v= Your U.S. numbers are just made up.
_Jym_
Old January 8th 08, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Red Cloud

On Jan 7, 1:32 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
In the most bike friendly city in the world: Armsterdam.
38% uses bike as everyday transporation.
23% uses auto as everyday transporatio.
30% uses bus or tram as everyday transporation.

In the least bike friendly city in the world: Los angeles, NY,
Chicaco, any big city in US.
0.5% uses bike as everyday transporation.
90% uses auto as everyday transporation.
2% uses bus as everday transporation.

Did you determine that Amsterdam is the most-friendly for bikes because so
many people ride, or is it because it's so friendly for bikes that causes so
many to ride? There's a very significant difference between the two.

The city has adopt bikers friendly policy. Bike is not just for poor
people. THey can drive SUV but Armsterdam is not good place to
drive SUV or, I don't have to see another dump stupid American driver
in SUV or Truck. ****ing Americans. WAtching out those SUV or Trucker
while talking in cell. Look at the damn American streets. It's like
going back to open wild-west culture again where psychopath rednecks
dumb idiiotic are shoot each other to kill for no reason. This is the
repeating history what I see in American street today. It reveals by
the attitude and car Americans are driving which is designed to
bull. The most violent history of human race is repeating again in
American street today.

Old January 8th 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Red Cloud

On Jan 7, 5:52 pm, "Pat" wrote:
[...]

Wonder how many Americans are able to locate Dutch on the map?
Old January 8th 08, 06:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Red Cloud" wrote in message
On Jan 7, 5:52 pm, "Pat" wrote:
[...]

Dutch was a character in the sitcom SOAP. Get a clue.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old January 8th 08, 06:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

The city has adopt bikers friendly policy. Bike is not just for poor
people. THey can drive SUV but Armsterdam is not good place to
drive SUV or, I don't have to see another dump stupid American driver
in SUV or Truck. ****ing Americans. WAtching out those SUV or Trucker
while talking in cell.

Excuse me???!!! Cell-phone use is far more pervasive in Europe than in the
US. In Europe, people can't even be bothered with change for a coke machine;
they point their cell phone at it and press a couple buttons and poof out
comes a coke. Or a peach-flavored ice tea (what's the big deal with peaches
anyway? Can't buy a decent can of tea that isn't peach-flavored. Why?).

Bad manners are hardly an American exclusive. We learned them from the best.
Germans, French, Spaniards... as for driving, we've got nothing on Taiwanese
taxi drivers, but we're working on it. Remember, we assimilate here. We're
Borg. What you see is an amplified reflection of yourself. If you don't like
it, stay away from mirrors.

Look at the damn American streets. It's like
going back to open wild-west culture again where psychopath rednecks
dumb idiiotic are shoot each other to kill for no reason. This is the
repeating history what I see in American street today. It reveals by
the attitude and car Americans are driving which is designed to
bull. The most violent history of human race is repeating again in
American street today.

Have you even been to Amsterdam? Check it out in the mornings, as people go
to work. Thank goodness they aren't driving cars; they all look terribly
depressed and hung-over. And the transit system you speak so highly of? What
a joke! On my last visit, while standing on a platform at Schiphol, the
announcement came over the loudspeakers "The next train to Amsterdam is
arriving a mere 10 minutes late." !!!??? When would it otherwise arrive, one
wondered? I seemed to be the only person on the platform to find it amusing.

[These are actual observations from a trip I took a couple years ago, but
seriously, it's a very nice place, easy to get around, and you do, in fact,
have to watch out for the huge number of cyclists]