4 Lane vs Super 2

Old September 24th 03, 02:25 PM
MissoulaBiker

Default 4 Lane vs Super 2

Hi,

Out here in Missoula Mt we've decided to re-work one of our 4 lane roads
into a 'Super 2'. The Super 2 includes a turning lane in the center and
bike lanes on the sides. The road diet is proven to improve safety for
everyone involved. But we expect some increase in traffic congestion
during peak hours.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has personally experienced this downsizing
of their roads. If so, how'd it work out? I've heard a few stories of
motorists getting really bent out of shape about the downsizing of the road.
One woman 'vows to fight this with every fiber of her being' and the phrase
'god given right to drive' has been mentioned.

Old September 24th 03, 07:23 PM
Ken

"MissoulaBiker" wrote in
:
I'm wondering if anyone out there has personally experienced this
downsizing of their roads. If so, how'd it work out? I've heard a few
stories of motorists getting really bent out of shape about the

Downsizing roads is often used to reduce speeding in residential areas and
school zones. Yes, some commuters don't like it, but those are mostly people
whose kids don't have to cross the street. Locals usually like the safer
streets.
Old September 24th 03, 08:15 PM
Mike Dahmus

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 07:25:01 -0600, "MissoulaBiker"
wrote:

Hi,

Out here in Missoula Mt we've decided to re-work one of our 4 lane roads
into a 'Super 2'. The Super 2 includes a turning lane in the center and
bike lanes on the sides. The road diet is proven to improve safety for
everyone involved. But we expect some increase in traffic congestion
during peak hours.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has personally experienced this downsizing
of their roads. If so, how'd it work out? I've heard a few stories of
motorists getting really bent out of shape about the downsizing of the road.
One woman 'vows to fight this with every fiber of her being' and the phrase
'god given right to drive' has been mentioned.

This has been done on a handful of roads here in Austin, Texas with
nearly universally good results. There are a few candidate roadways
which have been rejected for the conversion from 4 to 3 lanes because
there wasn't enough turning traffic (no driveways on one side of the
road, for instance); but that's the exception rather than the rule.

It only takes a few left turns to really screw things up on a 4-lane
undivided roadway.

---
Mike Dahmus
m dah mus @ at @ io.com
Old September 24th 03, 08:56 PM
Tanya Quinn

In Toronto they recently did this with a relatively small stretch of a
4 lane road, which was mostly residential but used as a minor arterial
- Dundas St East from Broadview to Kingston. (posted limit was 40
km/h, average speed 70km/h +) Drivers (mostly out of towners cutting
through rather than local residents) and some members of city council
got really upset by the whole plan.

Since the implementation, there have seemed to be no complaints or
problems. Traffic is slower (closer to the limit) but not highly
congested as many feared - though I'm not sure how it has affected
congestion on neighbouring routes, but noone seems to be complaining
about that either. More bikes along there now.

In addition to a turning lane and reduction to one lane in each
direction some sections have parking to the right of the bike lane
though, and striping the bike lane into the door zone seems like not
such a good idea for cyclists.

Real Bike Cities. Red Cloud General 80 June 10th 04 02:12 AM
joggers loki General 34 March 4th 04 01:51 AM
"Debris in the Bike Lane" MY ASS! Top Sirloin Racing 31 September 23rd 03 01:33 PM
Thoughts on Cinelli Super Corsa?? Eurastus General 36 July 29th 03 04:52 AM
Ride well out into the lane where the cars go? Tanya Quinn General 3 July 10th 03 03:52 AM