Clear Channel Radio DJs threatening cyclists, again!

Old September 6th 03, 02:09 AM
Corvus Corvax

Default Clear Channel Radio DJs threatening cyclists, again!

(Karen M.) wrote

Stop Radio 'Hate Crimes' Against Cyclists

Radio Hate Crimes? How exactly does one commit a "Radio Hate Crime"?

Dear Mr. Hogan.:

I'm an avid radio listener and avid cyclist. Given this past weekend's
death of two cyclists in Dallas Texas, I'm compelled to respond to
your DJs comments on Houston affiliate KLOL.

Dear Mr. Hogan:

I am somehow compelled to listen to your moronic morning DJs despite the
fact that they are a bunch of sophomoric twits. Please save me from myself,
because I drive to work instead of cycling and don't have the self-control
to listen to a CD, or nothing, instead of inane commercial chatter on the
airwaves.

Sincerely,

Doored in Seattle
Old September 7th 03, 03:19 PM
Burr

I just sent off four letters.

Burr

Old September 25th 03, 02:51 PM
grasshopperNC

G105 has actually been at it since Monday of this week. Three days in a
row!! I can't believe Clear Channel would allow this to happen. They
can't say they don't know it's going on - emails have been flooding them
all week, and yet the DJ's are still encouraging people to throw yoohoo
bottles at our heads!!

Old September 26th 03, 03:27 AM
Raptor

Joe wrote:
On 25 Sep 2003 23:41:24 +0950, grasshopperNC
wrote:

G105 has actually been at it since Monday of this week. Three days in a
row!! I can't believe Clear Channel would allow this to happen. They
can't say they don't know it's going on - emails have been flooding them
all week, and yet the DJ's are still encouraging people to throw yoohoo
bottles at our heads!!

Well do you think they may not only know, but are encouraging it.
After all, there is nothing like antagonism to get people to tune in.
This increases their ratings which means they can then charge more for
advertising. Hell, their ratings would probably go through the roof if
a cyclist gets his skull caved in by a thrown bottle.

It does, however, offer an opportunity. I don't know where the
broadcast area for G105 is, but if you have a lot of cyclist in the
area you could make an example of them which in turn would give
cyclist more clout when dealing with other issues and people for ex:
politicians. Get cyclist in your area involved. Don't send e-mail to
Clear Channel. Send it to the people who advertise on Clear Channel.

If those jocks wanna play hardball, play hardball. Publish their
addresses, names and pictures of their family members. Make sure to let
them know you did.

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Old September 26th 03, 03:38 AM
Roadside Artist

The most effective way to deal with this sort of thing is to find out who
advertises on their show, then write letters to the advertisers, informing
them that these guys are promoting actual crimes, including the details, and
inform them that you will boycott their product as long as they advertise on
these guys' show. You will get your friends to do the same. Don't use bad
language, just make a statement that they will be boycotted as long as they
help support criminal conduct.

It will stop.

Old September 26th 03, 06:20 AM
Steven Goodridge

grasshopperNC wrote in message ...
G105 has actually been at it since Monday of this week. Three days in a
row!! I can't believe Clear Channel would allow this to happen. They
can't say they don't know it's going on - emails have been flooding them
all week, and yet the DJ's are still encouraging people to throw yoohoo
bottles at our heads!!

I spoke in person with G105/WDCG-FM station manager Ken Spitzer for about 30
minutes today at the Clear Channel Communications studios in Raleigh NC. Mr.
Spitzer was polite and listened carefully to my concerns.

In short:

1. G105/WDCG-FM has denied my request on behalf of the North Carolina Bicycle
Club and the North Carolina Coalition for Bicycle Driving for a transcript or
copy of a recording of the Sept 22-23 programs where morning radio personality
Bob Dumas allegedly encouraged motorists to assault cyclists on the roadway by
intentionally striking them with their cars or throwing bottles at them. It was
explained to me that it is company policy to not provide such material and that
since the station does not recognize road bicyclists in general as a specific
political group, the FCC rule requiring them to provide a transcript to
individuals or groups attacked on the air does not apply.

2. Station manager Ken Spitzer offered no apologies for the comments made on the
air, and dismissed the controversy as nothing different from the typical result
of talk radio shows designed to get attention.

3. Ken Spitzer was surprised to hear from me that cyclists had the same legal
rights to use roadways as licensed drivers of motor vehicles. He said that he
did not previously know about this, and speculated that most people do not. He
explained that he thinks this general lack of public information should excuse
the behavior of those at his radio station.

4. Ken Spitzer said that he would need to call NCDOT's bicycle and pedestrian
division to verify my claim that cyclists have the legal right to use roadways.

5. The radio station is well equipped to deflect and ignore large volumes of
complaints from listeners and has little to fear from this. Insulting, angy
emails and phone calls do not get any attention as this is considered just part
of the business.

6. Ken Spitzer will be out of town for a few days for a long weekend and cannot
be reached until he returns.

What to do next:

Because I did not hear the original broadcasts and have been unable to obtain
the content to review the on-air comments of Bob Dumas myself, I feel that there
is little that I can do personally or on behalf of NCBC or NCCBD in the way of
making a very strong case to either the FCC or the management of Clear Channel
Communications (which owns G105). However, realizing that most of us will still
want to have our concerns heard, here are some suggestions for those who want to
make something happen:

1. Write a careful, polite, but firm letter to (a) Clear Channel Communications
and/or (b) the FCC and/or (c) your local police department explaining the
reasons for your concerns and what steps you think should be taken to correct
the situation.

2. If you are working with second-hand information of uncertain origin, say so,
i.e. "I heard that X happened" and say why this information worries you - this
is generates more empathy than just assuming that a possible misquote is true.

3. If you did hear the broadcast yourself, say so and use as many details as
possible.

4. I think that at a minimum, if the allegations are true, we should expect and
demand multiple on-air apologies by the station management, and the dedication
of considerable monetary resources and air time to convey safe roadway cycling
information and thorough description of the rights of cyclists to use the
roadways. At a maximum - well, demand whatever you want. I'd like to see Bob
Dumas looking for a new job.

Contact information follows:

John Hogan
President/CEO Clear Channel Radio
200 East Basse Road
San Antonio, TX 78209

Mark Mays, COO, Clear Channel Communications,

or

Clear Channel public relations:

Lowry Mays
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

Mike Powell, FCC Chairman,

-----------------------------
In closing, I recommend that you make your communications civil and persuasive,
with concrete suggestions of actions that you think should be taken. Note that
snail mail is slower but is sometimes taken more seriously. Thank you for
putting your energy to good use. If anyone is harassed or assaulted and you
believe it might be related to these broadcasts, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Steve Goodridge
Vice President, NCBC
Old September 26th 03, 02:56 PM
Paul Kammueller

"Roadside Artist" wrote in message ...
The most effective way to deal with this sort of thing is to find out who
advertises on their show, then write letters to the advertisers, informing
them that these guys are promoting actual crimes, including the details, and
inform them that you will boycott their product as long as they advertise on
these guys' show. You will get your friends to do the same. Don't use bad
language, just make a statement that they will be boycotted as long as they
help support criminal conduct.

It will stop.

Here's a quick list of sponsors & vendors found on their website:

Kroger groceries
Applebee's Neighborhood Grill & Bar
Time Warner Cable
cc.com
attwireless.com
Slim Jim
Southeast Toyota Distributors, LLC
Walt Disney Home Entertainment
VistaPrint
Palm Computer
Date.com

And, most ironically:
thegreenguide.com (!?!)

Old September 26th 03, 05:14 PM
Karen M.

Steven wrote:
Because I did not hear the original broadcasts and have been unable to obtain
the content to review the on-air comments of Bob Dumas myself...

Here's something posted to the Yahoo group bicyclingadvocacy
(founded by Ken Kifer). HTH
--Karen M.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just read this off of Roadbikerider.com's newsletter. Pretty
chilling. My conspiracy theory is that the CEO of CC is in bed with W
and is just trying to promote gasoline use over the future, bicycling.
How 'bout everyone write the boob, Mark Mays, and tell him how upset
you are.
Thanks,
Snake

SNIP
We're beginning to see a pattern.

Earlier this week, the morning show DJs at a radio station in Raleigh,
NC, owned by Clear Channel Communications launched into the same "run
cyclists off the road" tirade aired by its stations in Cleveland and
Houston.

We reported on those incidents in recent newsletters and put a
well-written letter of complaint on our website at
www.roadbikerider.com/your_turn.htm. (See "Stop Radio 'Hate Crimes'
Against Cyclists.")

Notes TriangleMTB.com, a Raleigh-area cycling website:

"Clear Channel stations across the nation are broadcasting almost
criminal 'kill bicyclists' verbiage by shock jocks. The recent attacks
occurred on G105 in the NC Triangle market two days in a row (9/22 and
23). Perhaps it is time to let Clear Channel know that these actions
will not be tolerated by the cycling community."

It appeared that the company had gotten the message, thanks to the way
cyclists mobilized in Cleveland and Houston.

Clear Channel apologized, made donations to local cycling causes and
aired "share the road" public service announcements. A program manager
reportedly was fired.

But now, Raleigh. Coming on the heels of the other two morning show
episodes, you have to wonder if Clear Channel is conducting an
organized assault on cyclists. It all seems too coincidental, doesn't
it?

To read the disgusting details of the latest DJ outrage, click
http://www.trianglemtb.com/#g105sucks
[JB]

To write to Mark Mays, president and COO of Clear Channel
Communications, use MarkPMays@c...
Old September 26th 03, 06:59 PM
Mitch Haley

"Karen M." wrote:
But now, Raleigh. Coming on the heels of the other two morning show
episodes, you have to wonder if Clear Channel is conducting an
organized assault on cyclists. It all seems too coincidental, doesn't
it?

To read the disgusting details of the latest DJ outrage, click
http://www.trianglemtb.com/#g105sucks

Is this referring to separate attacks by DJs at the three stations,
or is it from one taped morning show played at several Clear Channel
stations?

Mitch