Montana Ruling Closes Trails, Says Mountain Biking Ruins Solitude forOthers

Old July 10th 10, 03:34 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Montana Ruling Closes Trails, Says Mountain Biking Ruins Solitude forOthers

Montana Ruling Closes Trails, Says Mountain Biking Ruins Solitude for
Others
For Immediate Release 4-10-10
Mark Eller
IMBA Communications Director

303-545-9011 ext. 115

Mountain bikers recently learned that they will see trail access cut
from
170 miles to just 20 miles in Montana's Hyalite-Porcupine-Buffalo
Horn
wilderness study area (WSA). The restrictions stem from a lawsuit
that
challenged the Forest Service's management of the WSA, setting the
stage for
similar challenges in Montana, and perhaps across the United States.
The
plaintiffs - The Greater Yellowstone Coalition, Montana Wilderness
Association and The Wilderness Society - contended that the Forest
Service
failed to preserve the wilderness character of the study area.

The Gallatin National Forest office oversees the Hyalite-Porcupine-
Buffalo
Horn WSA. Gallatin officials have appealed the ruling, made by U.S.
District
Judge Donald W. Molloy. Since the appeals process can take 6 months to
2
years to be resolved, the Gallatin officials say they have no choice
but to
implement an interim strategy, starting May 1. The interim plan will
decide
access in the Gallatin until it is replaced by congressional action on
the
management of WSAs - which could take decades. The decision will close
the
coveted Gallatin Crest and other spectacular high-country trails to
bicycling.

"We knew a decision like this was coming," said Mike Van Abel, IMBA's
executive director. "IMBA supported the Gallatin office in its
attempts to
improve the Forest Service's policies regarding WSAs. We joined the
legal
proceedings and provided written testimony asserting that mountain
biking
does not compromise a landscape's wilderness attributes, and that
bicycling
is not equivalent to motorized recreation. Unfortunately the judge did
not
follow our guidance, which puts mountain bike access in a very
precarious
place."

Decision Based on User Experience, Not Environmental Impacts

Marna Daley, public affairs officer for the Gallatin National Forest,
told
the Billings Gazette that the new trail closures are not based on the
environmental impacts caused by mountain biking. "Judge Molloy's
decision
did not cite a resource concern with regard to wilderness character,"
said
Daley. "So the only thing we can address is the opportunity for
solitude."

Following that logic, a handful of trails along the fringes of the WSA
will
be kept open to mountain biking (some will also allow motorized
recreation).
"By moving use from the core area to the perimeter, the forest has
increased
the opportunity for solitude in the WSA," Daley told the Gazette.

There is a growing body of evidence that the environmental impacts of
mountain biking are about the same as hiking. [Of course, exactly the
opposite is true! -- Mike]
The social impacts of shared-use trails are more difficult to
quantify, but several studies have
concluded that the perception of trail conflicts is often exaggerated.

Next Steps for Mountain Bikers

IMBA and the Montana Mountain Bike Alliance, as well as other Montana-
based
affiliated clubs, will continue working with the Forest Service to
improve
their strategies for managing mountain biking. At the same time,
re-energized grassroots campaigns will enable mountain bikers to
document
trail losses, establish dialogues with decision makers and continue
asking
for fair treatment with regards to trail access.

If you support fair access for mountain bikers in Montana and across
the
United States, please make a donation to IMBA's Legal Advocacy Fund
Old July 10th 10, 06:19 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
[...]

Very many working for the Forest Service are only half educated. They
overspecialized too early in their schooling and missed most of what
constitutes the liberals arts. That is why so many of them are so
confoundedly stupid. That is why the even more stupid mountain bikers can
often convince them that allowing cycling in the parks and natural areas is
a good thing. I suppose, like the Lord, we should forgive them for they know
not what they do.

The chief value of wilderness for man is the pursuit of solitude. In such a
setting, we can reflect upon our origins and become at one with our past.
Civilization is a very recent thing. Mankind for most of his existence on
this earth lived in a wholly natural world. Anthropology 101.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old July 10th 10, 10:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bob Berger[_2_]

Default Montana Ruling Closes Trails, Says Mountain Biking Ruins Solitude for

In article ,
Mike Vandeman says...

[...]

I agree. For example, we recently learned what impacts can result from the
actions of a hand saw wielding hiker.