Dahon Bikes Again and New Commuting Crisis

Old October 27th 04, 12:47 AM
Pat

:
: You MUST have a Dallas in the UK. All of our (US) cities are
: named after cities in England. Oh, then it would be NewDallas
: wouldn't it? Never mind.
:
: Not quite. I there is a Dallas in Scotland. I've also been near to Berlin
in
: New Hampshire and an other in Wisconsin. There is not a Berlin in England
as
: far as I'm aware.
: --
: Mark

He made a huge mistake writing "all of our (US) cities are named after
cities in England." How does he explain
Tahlequah, San Antonio, Henrietta, Minneapolis, and Phoenix to name just a
few....

Pat in TX

Old October 27th 04, 04:53 AM
Mike Kruger

--
Mark

He made a huge mistake writing "all of our (US) cities are

named after
cities in England." How does he explain
Tahlequah, San Antonio, Henrietta, Minneapolis, and

Phoenix to name
just a few....

Yeah, just a few.
Large midwestern cities: Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, St.
Louis, Cincinnati
Large west coast cities: San Diego, Los Angeles, San
Francisco, Sacramento, Seattle
Not of lot of British names there.

--
Mike Kruger
A new Florida poll shows President Bush winning the state by

Old October 27th 04, 11:33 AM
Chalo

Simon Brooke wrote:

Pat ') wrote:

Dallas, for example, is spread out over
many miles. That made it more difficult for bicycle commuting and
easier for automobile commuting.

Chicken, meet egg. Egg, meet chicken. I'm sure you two will get along
just fine.

Simon, thinking there must be something odd in the Texas gene pool.

Pitiful though it is, all noteworthy Texas cities save one have done
most of their geographical development during the epoch of the wanton
automobile. The sole exception is Galveston, which lies on a small
island and had already spread within most of its current boundaries
during the 19th century.

Being both well-contained and totally flat with a mild climate (by
Texas standards), Galveston is a great place to ride a bicycle. That
is, if you can stand sacrificing your bike to the rust gods pretty
often.

Chalo Colina
Old October 27th 04, 01:02 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:47:47 -0500, "Pat" wrote:

He made a huge mistake writing "all of our (US) cities are named after
cities in England." How does he explain
Tahlequah, San Antonio, Henrietta, Minneapolis, and Phoenix to name just a
few....

I'm sure there's a Tahlequah in Rutland...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old October 27th 04, 03:32 PM
dgk

[...]

Those are just the exceptions that prove the rule. Some cities are
actually named after Dutch cities. HEY! How do you manage to get a
Newsday address? -- and you shouldn't use it without some spam
protection in it or the bots are going to get you.

Must be a different Newsday if you're in Texas. I'm near the one in
New York.

Old October 27th 04, 03:34 PM
dgk

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:28:31 +0200, Elisa Francesca Roselli
wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:

Chicken, meet egg. Egg, meet chicken. I'm sure you two will get along
just fine.

Since it has reached the point that many communities do not even have
sidewalks for pedestrians, let alone cyclable routes, I do think there is
a vicious circle in operation. You get urbanization based on the car, and
then you end up making it impossible to live any other way. And then you
get the SUV lobbies and the oil addiction and the irreversible need to
consume so much that there would have to be 9 planets to make it
sustainable.

EFR
Ile de France

I read once that automobile manufacturers, during the beginning of the
urge to push cars on everyone, bought up trolley lines just so they
could close them down. They have done everything possible to make
public transportation as lousy as it can be.
Old October 27th 04, 04:16 PM
Stephen Harding

dgk wrote:

I read once that automobile manufacturers, during the beginning of the
urge to push cars on everyone, bought up trolley lines just so they
could close them down. They have done everything possible to make
public transportation as lousy as it can be.

Not entirely true.

Trolley lines where on their way out during the 1920's and 30's
anyways.

Automobile manufacturers bought up some trolley lines with the
intention of replacing the trollies with buses; you know, that
"other" form of mass transit.

Personal cars to go to personal places didn't really become
widespread until post-WWII with the construction of the federal
highway system.

SMH

Old October 27th 04, 07:36 PM
Matt O'Toole

Stephen Harding wrote:

dgk wrote:

I read once that automobile manufacturers, during the beginning of
the urge to push cars on everyone, bought up trolley lines just so
they could close them down. They have done everything possible to
make public transportation as lousy as it can be.

Not entirely true.

Trolley lines where on their way out during the 1920's and 30's
anyways.

This is true. Unfotunate, but true.

Automobile manufacturers bought up some trolley lines with the
intention of replacing the trollies with buses; you know, that
"other" form of mass transit.

Personal cars to go to personal places didn't really become
widespread until post-WWII with the construction of the federal
highway system.

Los Angeles is the usual subject of this conspiracy theory, that auto, tire, and
oil companies bought up the trolley lines to dismantle them, and make everyone
dependent on cars. In fact, a partnership of GM, Firestone, and Standard Oil
did purchase Los Angeles' famous Red Car trolleys after WWII. But actually, it
was to hedge their bets with an uncertain future, by owning another piece of the
transportation pie in a rapidly growing city. Who knew -- would there be
another Great Depression, with no one able to afford cars? Would the postwar
peace last? Would steel prices rise? How about oil? Also,.the switch to buses
was probably inevitable, but they wanted in on the trolley market in case that
didn't happen. If it was profitable to build trolleys, they would have done
that too.

They kept the trolleys running for another decade or so, in spite of declining
ridership and huge losses. But the final nail in the coffin was the citizens of
Los Angeles banging down the doors of City Hall, demanding the trolleys be
removed because they were blocking traffic. Ultimately it was the public who
chose the automobile, all by themselves.

Matt O.

Old October 27th 04, 09:12 PM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:36:00 -0400, ,
"Matt O'Toole" wrote:

Ultimately it was the public who
chose the automobile, all by themselves.

Victims of sophisticated PR techniques than were generally not
recognised as such. That was in a time when people believed their
governments' and industries'. So when an "official" told them a diesel
bus is more efficient than a railway car or the fumes were safe to
breath, they fell for it.
--
zk