Raising Money for Cancer Research

Old January 5th 05, 06:37 PM
rogeratunicycledotcom

Default Raising Money for Cancer Research

The name Kaleigh Grainger is known to many unicyclists and jugglers
around the world. She is one of the UK's top freestyle unicycle riders
and the daughter of Steve Grainger, who organises most of the UK's
"Uni-meet" events. However, what most people won't know is that
Kaleigh's Mother, Elaine, was diagnosed with Breast Cancer several years
ago and has been battling Cancer ever since. On the 11th of
December,2004, Kaleigh informed us that her mother had been taken into
hospital again with Secondary Cancer of the Liver. Sadly, her mother
died shortly after on the 19th December, 2004.

Before her mother died, Kaleigh said that she wanted to try and help
other people in the same situation, hoping that she could help ease the
suffering of Cancer patients and their families in the future. She asked
for help in raising money for Cancer Research UK.

So we are.... On the 7th January Roger Davies from Unicycle.com will be
riding some 750 miles from Nanning to Kunming in Southern China. The
ride will be self-financed by Roger and is organised by Roz Beste from
Hong Kong. It will be completed on a 36" Coker unicycle both on and
off-road.

Like so many people who have lost loved ones to this illness, Kaleigh is
determined to try and make a difference, please help us to make a
difference to other peoples lives where Cancer Research UK try to ease
the suffering and loss for the millions of people world wide. Sponsor
Roger Davies in his endeavour to raise money to donate to Cancer
Research UK.

If you would like to help you can donate online on a
URL=http://www.justgiving.com/unicycleacrosschina]Donation Page[/url].

Thanks

Roger

--
rogeratunicycledotcom - ok ish Unicyclist
rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116

Old January 5th 05, 09:55 PM
sarah.miller

Lots of sympathy to Kayleigh , lots of respect to Roger.

7th Jan- thats like two days time.
You don't give us much warning Roger! Wow, what a trip.

Best of luck, take lots of but butter.
SArah

--
sarah.miller - unicycist
sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

Old January 5th 05, 10:08 PM
rogeratunicycledotcom

sarah.miller wrote:
*Lots of sympathy to Kaleigh , lots of respect to Roger.

7th Jan- thats like two days time.
You don't give us much warning Roger! Wow, what a trip.

Best of luck, take lots of but butter.
SArah *

Ha... not much warning. You should see my "to do" list. I have so much
"work stuff" to do before Friday and "publisity" and.... oh I suppose I
should pack some time. :-D

Roger

Old January 5th 05, 10:46 PM
paul royle

What a fantastic trip for a very good cause.

Good Luck

Paul

--
paul royle - Newbie
paul royle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5572

Old January 13th 05, 02:39 PM
rogeratunicycledotcom

Hi Everyone,

We are on our way.. but it is cold and has been wet the last few days.
But is lovely here, you should see the photos..... you will have to wait
for them, but I tell you they are worth it. the riding is fantastic.
Check out Roz's blog, there is loads on the trip day by day.

www.hkcrystal.com/blog

Roger

Old January 13th 05, 05:33 PM
sarah.miller

WOW, roz is one tough cookie, thata quite some "holiday" shes doing.

Intersteing to read about the hotels in china, reminded me of the Unicon
10 hotel a lot, sounds like we should have been glad we had electricity
all the time we were there.

SArah

Old January 14th 05, 01:16 PM
keg

sarah.miller wrote:
*
Intersteing to read about the hotels in china, reminded me of the
Unicon 10 hotel a lot, sounds like we should have been glad we had
electricity all the time we were there.

SArah *

The quality of the hotels might be variable but access to the internet
must be good judging by the near daily blog updates.

Have a great ride.

Keith

--
keg
keg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/212

Old January 15th 05, 05:14 PM
GizmoDuck

What an awesome trip! Keep up the daily blog updates....any photos?

--
GizmoDuck - NZUNI

o-kO
'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)

Old January 16th 05, 01:10 PM
rogeratunicycledotcom

Hi all,

Updates on Roz's blog are not daily, it is hand written as we go... some
towns dont even seem to have electricty some of time never mind internet
connections!

I think there may be a gap of a few days as we are still not anywhere
where we can do an update. The connection here in Chingxi is ok, but we
only have half an hour. We rode today over the most massive mountain
pass (it was fun! well I thought so, but Roz says she is not sure as she
walk a fair chunk of it and did not play race the truck) and had to
travel light. We then sent a taxi back to pick up our luggage and it is
due soon.... shower time!

We also hope to find somewhere that can upload our photos, we have loads
now, but that is more difficult that it may seam. It is all fun
though.

Thank everyone for supporting the cause.

Roger

Old May 18th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Well done for raising money for such a good cause. Kaleigh Grainger is
my 2nd cousin and Elaine was my mom's cousin.

--
alexwilkes
alexwilkes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12262