A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

bicycle lane in Melbourne



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 29th 18, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,781
Default bicycle lane in Melbourne

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ke-bushes.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ads
  #2  
Old October 30th 18, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,169
Default bicycle lane in Melbourne

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 17:27:00 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ke-bushes.html


What struck me about that story -- what ALWAYS strikes me about such
stories, unfortunately -- is that it said that the would-be killer was
charged with reckless driving and fined, but there isn't a word
anywhere about buying a new bike or reimbursing Australia's national
medical-care system.

I don't even hope to see a miscreant asked to pay the non-medical
expenses caused by an injury.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net


  #3  
Old October 30th 18, 05:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 119
Default bicycle lane in Melbourne

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 19:32:46 -0400, Joy Beeson wrote:

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 17:27:00 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nraged-driver-

deliberately-sideswipes-cyclist-throw-mans-bike-bushes.html

What struck me about that story -- what ALWAYS strikes me about such
stories, unfortunately -- is that it said that the would-be killer was
charged with reckless driving and fined, but there isn't a word anywhere
about buying a new bike or reimbursing Australia's national medical-care
system.


I don't even hope to see a miscreant asked to pay the non-medical
expenses caused by an injury.


I don't know about the state of Victoria, Aus, where this incident took
place, but in NSW, you can make a claim against the driver in a Small
Claims Court for your expenses in the matter. It is a balance of
probability basis of decision and I susdpect that film would be enough to
get your claim granted. If your claim is successful, the defendant
(driver)can pay up or join the treadmill of the sherrif of the court
seizing their property and auctioning it off until debt is paid and
sherrif's expenses are covered. Caveat, limit of $10,000 and if their
counter claim(if any) takes the total over $10,000, it has to go through
the big. expensive court.

I too am surprised that that was all the vehicle driver was charged with.
I can only hope that incident brings him to the "further intention of
police".
  #4  
Old October 30th 18, 07:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,771
Default bicycle lane in Melbourne

On 30/10/18 10:32 am, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 17:27:00 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ke-bushes.html


What struck me about that story -- what ALWAYS strikes me about such
stories, unfortunately -- is that it said that the would-be killer was
charged with reckless driving and fined, but there isn't a word
anywhere about buying a new bike or reimbursing Australia's national
medical-care system.

I don't even hope to see a miscreant asked to pay the non-medical
expenses caused by an injury.


In Australia we have compulsory third party insurance for all motorised
vehicles, that covers medical costs of anyone (other motorists, bicycle
riders and pedestrians) should they be in a collision with a motor vehicle.

(Depending on which state you're in, if the motor vehicle is parked and
you ride in to it you may or may not be covered.)

Money can be extracted via legal means to compensate for vehicle damage.
I think you can get bike insurance that would cover you, as it would
any other vehicle.

--
JS
  #5  
Old October 30th 18, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,341
Default bicycle lane in Melbourne

On 10/29/2018 7:32 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 17:27:00 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ke-bushes.html


What struck me about that story -- what ALWAYS strikes me about such
stories, unfortunately -- is that it said that the would-be killer was
charged with reckless driving and fined, but there isn't a word
anywhere about buying a new bike or reimbursing Australia's national
medical-care system.

I don't even hope to see a miscreant asked to pay the non-medical
expenses caused by an injury.


As I tried to post yesterday before my newsreader lost contact:

That wasn't reckless driving. That was a deliberate assault. That
motorist should never drive again.

--
- Frank Krygowski
  #6  
Old October 30th 18, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 334
Default bicycle lane in Melbourne

On Monday, October 29, 2018 at 4:32:49 PM UTC-7, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 17:27:00 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ke-bushes.html


What struck me about that story -- what ALWAYS strikes me about such
stories, unfortunately -- is that it said that the would-be killer was
charged with reckless driving and fined, but there isn't a word
anywhere about buying a new bike or reimbursing Australia's national
medical-care system.

I don't even hope to see a miscreant asked to pay the non-medical
expenses caused by an injury.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net


And like everywhere else in the world the punishment NEVER fits the crime that motorists commonly commit against other road users. I was riding up Niles Canyon which has become a commute highway despite it being only two lanes and there also being a gravel quarry at the eastern end. There is a narrow RR bridge and as I approached it I pulled to the center of the lane. A gravel truck came around a turn behind me and seeing me his stomped on the gas. I made it through the narrows and pulled over to the side and over so that the bridge protected me. This double came under that bridge at over 60 mph. Since the road swerves under that bridge he almost lost control of it and the rear trailer was weaving back and forth across the road so strongly that it took up the entire road. Had there been a car or worse yet, another truck coming the other way there would have been a HUGE collision. This was in my mind attempted murder. But I had no way of identifying that truck since it was completely covered with gravel dust. I couldn't even see what color it was. But there were cars behind him that might have reported him because those trucks are the most polite in the Canyon now.
  #7  
Old November 1st 18, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,771
Default bicycle lane in Melbourne

On 30/10/18 9:27 am, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ke-bushes.html



It has emerged that the bike rider had keyed the vehicle before this
incident.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ent-viral.html

What hasn't emerged is why he keyed the vehicle. I have been in contact
with the person who broke the story, and apparently the cyclist is no
longer willing to talk. Hmm.

--
JS
  #8  
Old November 2nd 18, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,341
Default bicycle lane in Melbourne

On 11/1/2018 5:44 PM, James wrote:
On 30/10/18 9:27 am, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ke-bushes.html



It has emerged that the bike rider had keyed the vehicle before this
incident.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ent-viral.html


What hasn't emerged is why he keyed the vehicle.* I have been in contact
with the person who broke the story, and apparently the cyclist is no
longer willing to talk.* Hmm.


Yes, we don't know why he keyed the vehicle; and I don't think that act
is usually unprovoked. In any case, it doesn't justify an attack with a
deadly weapon.

Damaging a person's car is not the same as damaging his body. But one
weird psychological side effect of motoring is that many people react
the same way. I've seen guys get enraged when someone leaned on their
car, as they would if someone grabbed their neck.

--
- Frank Krygowski
  #9  
Old November 2nd 18, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 206
Default bicycle lane in Melbourne

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 22:01:30 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 11/1/2018 5:44 PM, James wrote:
On 30/10/18 9:27 am, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ke-bushes.html



It has emerged that the bike rider had keyed the vehicle before this
incident.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ent-viral.html


What hasn't emerged is why he keyed the vehicle.* I have been in contact
with the person who broke the story, and apparently the cyclist is no
longer willing to talk.* Hmm.


Yes, we don't know why he keyed the vehicle; and I don't think that act
is usually unprovoked. In any case, it doesn't justify an attack with a
deadly weapon.

Damaging a person's car is not the same as damaging his body. But one
weird psychological side effect of motoring is that many people react
the same way. I've seen guys get enraged when someone leaned on their
car, as they would if someone grabbed their neck.


I certainly understand what you are saying but we just bought a new
car - some $27,000 in U.S. money - and if some nitwit on a bicycle
were to carve a groove down the side of the new car I might not run
his bike off the road with the car but I'd be tempted, probably beyond
my ability to resist, to hit him with a stick. Just to test the
effectiveness of his helmet, so to speak.

Depending on the severely of the "keying" it can cost several thousand
dollars (here, in a decent shop) to return the car to its like new
condition. What justifies a cyclist doing that sort of damage to my
new car?

cheers,

John B.



  #10  
Old November 2nd 18, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,441
Default bicycle lane in Melbourne

On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 7:54:46 PM UTC-7, John B. slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 22:01:30 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 11/1/2018 5:44 PM, James wrote:
On 30/10/18 9:27 am, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ke-bushes.html



It has emerged that the bike rider had keyed the vehicle before this
incident.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ent-viral.html


What hasn't emerged is why he keyed the vehicle.* I have been in contact
with the person who broke the story, and apparently the cyclist is no
longer willing to talk.* Hmm.


Yes, we don't know why he keyed the vehicle; and I don't think that act
is usually unprovoked. In any case, it doesn't justify an attack with a
deadly weapon.

Damaging a person's car is not the same as damaging his body. But one
weird psychological side effect of motoring is that many people react
the same way. I've seen guys get enraged when someone leaned on their
car, as they would if someone grabbed their neck.


I certainly understand what you are saying but we just bought a new
car - some $27,000 in U.S. money - and if some nitwit on a bicycle
were to carve a groove down the side of the new car I might not run
his bike off the road with the car but I'd be tempted, probably beyond
my ability to resist, to hit him with a stick. Just to test the
effectiveness of his helmet, so to speak.

Depending on the severely of the "keying" it can cost several thousand
dollars (here, in a decent shop) to return the car to its like new
condition. What justifies a cyclist doing that sort of damage to my
new car?


There is no justification, but that does not excuse assault. It is questionable whether you could even effect a citizen's arrest for minor property damage. The most reasonable approach would be to photograph or maybe follow to an address. I really don't know, but running the guy down is clearly not acceptable.

-- Jay Beattie.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bicycle Sky Lane bicycle_disciple Techniques 11 January 23rd 10 09:09 AM
Melbourne bicycle shopping? yuri budilov Australia 17 February 27th 04 01:10 PM
From a Melbourne bicycle courier. troyq Australia 10 August 2nd 03 04:02 AM
From a Melbourne bicycle courier. hippy General 2 July 22nd 03 01:46 AM
From a Melbourne bicycle courier. Luther Blissett Australia 2 July 17th 03 07:11 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.