Why do my hard earned tax dollars support a bike team?

Old July 8th 04, 03:08 PM
Churchill

Default Why do my hard earned tax dollars support a bike team?

"Marty Wallace" wrote in message
om.au...

"Sam" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Alex Rodriguez" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Hey,
Why does the US federal Government support a bike team in France? I
work hard for my money, and think the taxes I pay could be better
used. What a Boondoggle!

Like any other company, you have to advertise to get more business.

USPS
wanted to get more customers in Europe to use their service, so they

sponser
a bicycle racing team. For the money they spend, they get an

excellent
return on investment. So they continued to do so until ignorant folks
started to complain.
-------------
Alex

I would like to see some proof that they are getting bang for their buck

in
terms of promotion and advertising. I doubt they are.

My God you're an idiot.
The fastest rider and the fastest team in the biggest race in the world!
And you want proof?
If you don't think thats good promotion and advertising then you tell us
what is.

Marty

Speaking as a non-American I would never have heard of the "USPS" if it
wasn't for the Tour, so their marketing worked in my case

USPS is smart to do this, they are getting all of Europe focused on their
name, cycling 'I sense' is much more popular in Europe than North America

Old July 8th 04, 03:59 PM
Mike

"Sam" wrote in message
[...]

Also, I think the USPS is privatized and therefore not supported by the
US government. Complain instead about how the US government does support
the US automakers, US highways, and the US petrolium industry. Talk about
a boondoggle. Since when is it the responsibility of any government
to 'bail out' a corporation (Chrysler) or a city (New York)?

Mike
Old July 8th 04, 04:06 PM
Luigi de Guzman

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 14:59:57 -0000, Mike

Also, I think the USPS is privatized and therefore not supported by the
US government.

Correct!

The USPS doesn't get a penny from the Treasury anymore, so far as I
know.

It is not however a private corporation...I can't remember how its
status goes.

-Luigi
Old July 8th 04, 04:30 PM
Mark Weaver

"Churchill" wrote in message news:VucHc.45732

Speaking as a non-American I would never have heard of the "USPS" if it
wasn't for the Tour, so their marketing worked in my case

USPS is smart to do this, they are getting all of Europe focused on their
name, cycling 'I sense' is much more popular in Europe than North America

But this is pointless because the USPS doesn't serve European customers.
That is, as I understand it, Europeans can't even use the USPS to send mail
or packages from Europe to the US.

However, even though cycling isn't as popular here, Lance has very high name
recognition in the US and the commercials featuring him racing through
"sleet, snow, gloom of night, etc" are actually pretty effective images for
a delivery service.

As for the USPS advertising in general -- of course they have to advertise.
They're in competition with FedEx, UPS, Airborne, etc for the package
delivery business, which is the potential growth area. The rise of the
Internet has greatly increased package delivery (due to internet shopping)
while it has reduced ordinary mail delivery (due to email).

Mark

Old July 8th 04, 05:19 PM
Werehatrack

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:08:57 -0400, "Churchill" wrote:

Speaking as a non-American I would never have heard of the "USPS" if it
wasn't for the Tour, so their marketing worked in my case

USPS is smart to do this, they are getting all of Europe focused on their
name, cycling 'I sense' is much more popular in Europe than North America

It's not bad advertising in the US, either, and having seen the budget
numbers for what they spent supporting Lance & Co a couple of years
ago, I think they're doing pretty well particularly since they're
getting a lot more than just some forgettable and tawdry billboards
and print ads. (By comparison, it would have cost several times as
much to support a NASCAR entry of any note, and would not have given
them a penny's worth of international recognition, nor would it have
reached the upper-echelon US business decision-makers whose attention
they also wanted to draw.)

Recently, of course, the fact that Lance has been winning *in France*
has been scoring points with some of the less intellectual Americans.
They demand their bread and circuses loudly. (Some of our local post
offices were selling USPS cycling jerseys a few months back, and they
sold out rather quickly. I was surprised that this was the case.)
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Surrealism is a pectinated ranzel.
Old July 8th 04, 05:40 PM
DRS

"Werehatrack" wrote in message

[...]

Recently, of course, the fact that Lance has been winning *in France*
has been scoring points with some of the less intellectual Americans.

How could anyone be impressed by beating a bunch of cheese-eating surrender
monkeys? :-)

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 8th 04, 05:56 PM
S o r n i

David Kerber wrote:
I don't even know if there are any French in the race

Didn't the French national champion almost win today's stage?

Bill "no quips about quitting, either" S.