A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Coaster Brake Failure



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 25th 19, 02:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,334
Default Coaster Brake Failure

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+
years old?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ads
  #2  
Old February 25th 19, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 343
Default Coaster Brake Failure

AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+
years old?


They must have improved it.

  #3  
Old February 25th 19, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,767
Default Coaster Brake Failure

On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+
years old?


They must have improved it.


In German there is the inofficial word "verschlimmbessern". It sums up
the action of "Here we have a working design but let's optimize it
anyhow" and then it all goes to pots. A very common scenario in software
design.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #4  
Old February 25th 19, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,265
Default Coaster Brake Failure

On 2/25/2019 9:16 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket


Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years old?


Yes, I'd have liked some technical detail. Although I realize that's not
the point of the article.

I will say, a three speed with coaster brake is a fairly complicated
bucket of parts. I still don't know what was wrong with the Shimano one
that I had to disassemble multiple times because of its second gear
skipping. It's working now, but I don't feel confident about it.

OTOH, there's not much to the brake part of the device.

--
- Frank Krygowski
  #5  
Old February 25th 19, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 343
Default Coaster Brake Failure

Joerg wrote:
On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+
years old?


They must have improved it.


In German there is the inofficial word "verschlimmbessern". It sums up
the action of "Here we have a working design but let's optimize it
anyhow" and then it all goes to pots. A very common scenario in software
design.


In Yiddish, it's "farpotchket", which loosely translates to "broken during
the act of fixing it".

  #6  
Old February 25th 19, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,891
Default Coaster Brake Failure

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:39:17 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/25/2019 9:16 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket


Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years old?


Yes, I'd have liked some technical detail. Although I realize that's not
the point of the article.

I will say, a three speed with coaster brake is a fairly complicated
bucket of parts. I still don't know what was wrong with the Shimano one
that I had to disassemble multiple times because of its second gear
skipping. It's working now, but I don't feel confident about it.

OTOH, there's not much to the brake part of the device.


Bad grease. https://www.sram.com/sites/all/theme...FINAL_1.19.pdf


-- Jay Beattie.
  #7  
Old February 25th 19, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,260
Default Coaster Brake Failure

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:06:33 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+
years old?


They must have improved it.


In German there is the inofficial word "verschlimmbessern". It sums up
the action of "Here we have a working design but let's optimize it
anyhow" and then it all goes to pots. A very common scenario in software
design.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/


You hit the nail right on the head. For projects that required very fast response from microprocessors I used to use assembly language. Because of that people started to use assembly language in many projects. The trouble is that assembly language is extremely tedious to program. So they would "improve" it by building libraries of assembly language subroutines. Then in order to use these you didn't know exactly what you had to do so you would save all of the registers and branch to the subroutine, save any necessary data from that and then return and retrieve all of the registers and data to use.

This was what higher level languages did but they usually did it more efficiently by only saving the necessary registers and not saving the returned data but simply passing it back.

This put C and C++ into the position that these higher level languages were actually both more memory efficient but also faster in operation.

This is what happens when people improve things that they don't understand.

Though I'm sure that those who don't know anything about this will have plenty of comments about it.
  #8  
Old February 25th 19, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,296
Default Coaster Brake Failure

On 2/25/19 3:16 PM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket



Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years old?


It's fake news. We all know that the old days were *far* superior to
modern rim/disc brakes.

Honestly, greasing brakes!
  #9  
Old February 25th 19, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,296
Default Coaster Brake Failure

On 2/25/19 5:06 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket



Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years
old?


They must have improved it.


In German there is the inofficial word "verschlimmbessern". It sums
up the action of "Here we have a working design but let's optimize it
anyhow" and then it all goes to pots. A very common scenario in
software design.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp_D8r-2hwk
  #10  
Old February 25th 19, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,296
Default Coaster Brake Failure

On 2/25/19 8:12 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:39:17 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On 2/25/2019 9:16 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket




Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years old?

Yes, I'd have liked some technical detail. Although I realize
that's not the point of the article.

I will say, a three speed with coaster brake is a fairly
complicated bucket of parts. I still don't know what was wrong with
the Shimano one that I had to disassemble multiple times because of
its second gear skipping. It's working now, but I don't feel
confident about it.

OTOH, there's not much to the brake part of the device.


Bad grease.
https://www.sram.com/sites/all/theme...FINAL_1.19.pdf


The prosecution rests its' case.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Geared Hubs - Coaster Brake? -Non Coaster-Brake?.... DougC Techniques 2 May 25th 07 03:32 AM
Coaster Brake for 3 spd hub [email protected] Techniques 2 March 15th 07 02:21 AM
Converting coaster brake to hand brake cmcanulty General 2 January 16th 07 08:12 AM
Unicycle with coaster brake? gordito8me Unicycling 5 October 24th 06 09:09 PM
Coaster brake bikes [email protected] Techniques 8 August 26th 06 12:51 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.