A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Sometimes a helmet just isn't enough



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 27th 19, 07:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 316
Default Sometimes a helmet just isn't enough




As the title says, sometimes a helmet isn't sufficient protection.
https://bit.ly/2H590Bd
--

Cheers,

John B.
Ads
  #2  
Old March 1st 19, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 165
Default Sometimes a helmet just isn't enough

On 2019-02-27, John B Slocomb wrote:

As the title says, sometimes a helmet isn't sufficient protection.
https://bit.ly/2H590Bd


Link expands to:
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...o-yai-elephant
(Please don't use URL shorteners unless necessary...)

In which cyclist is chased by oliphaunt.

"His family later learned the elephant is known as Yoyo and becomes
annoyed whenever he encounters tourists' vehicles, but has never hurt
anyone."

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
  #3  
Old March 1st 19, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 805
Default Sometimes a helmet just isn't enough

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 22:27:17 -0600, Gregory Sutter
wrote:

On 2019-02-27, John B Slocomb wrote:

As the title says, sometimes a helmet isn't sufficient protection.
https://bit.ly/2H590Bd


Link expands to:
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...o-yai-elephant
(Please don't use URL shorteners unless necessary...)

In which cyclist is chased by oliphaunt.

"His family later learned the elephant is known as Yoyo and becomes
annoyed whenever he encounters tourists' vehicles, but has never hurt
anyone."


Given the size and strength of elephants it is best not to irritate
them as the usually result is the death of the irritant :-)

The comment about tourist vehicles is rather strange as the highway
through Khao Yai is used by both tourists and locals. Unless the
elephant can tell the difference between locals and tourists... maybe
the elephant can read the number plates?

--
Cheers,
John B.


  #4  
Old March 1st 19, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 545
Default Sometimes a helmet just isn't enough

On 2/28/2019 9:02 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 22:27:17 -0600, Gregory Sutter
wrote:

On 2019-02-27, John B Slocomb wrote:

As the title says, sometimes a helmet isn't sufficient protection.
https://bit.ly/2H590Bd


Link expands to:
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...o-yai-elephant
(Please don't use URL shorteners unless necessary...)

In which cyclist is chased by oliphaunt.

"His family later learned the elephant is known as Yoyo and becomes
annoyed whenever he encounters tourists' vehicles, but has never hurt
anyone."


Given the size and strength of elephants it is best not to irritate
them as the usually result is the death of the irritant :-)

The comment about tourist vehicles is rather strange as the highway
through Khao Yai is used by both tourists and locals. Unless the
elephant can tell the difference between locals and tourists... maybe
the elephant can read the number plates?


Teach 'em once and they never forget.

Mark J.
  #5  
Old March 5th 19, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,360
Default Sometimes a helmet just isn't enough

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 9:28:27 AM UTC-8, Mark J. wrote:
On 2/28/2019 9:02 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 22:27:17 -0600, Gregory Sutter
wrote:

On 2019-02-27, John B Slocomb wrote:

As the title says, sometimes a helmet isn't sufficient protection.
https://bit.ly/2H590Bd

Link expands to:
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...o-yai-elephant
(Please don't use URL shorteners unless necessary...)

In which cyclist is chased by oliphaunt.

"His family later learned the elephant is known as Yoyo and becomes
annoyed whenever he encounters tourists' vehicles, but has never hurt
anyone."


Given the size and strength of elephants it is best not to irritate
them as the usually result is the death of the irritant :-)

The comment about tourist vehicles is rather strange as the highway
through Khao Yai is used by both tourists and locals. Unless the
elephant can tell the difference between locals and tourists... maybe
the elephant can read the number plates?


Teach 'em once and they never forget.

Mark J.


More likely it's the smell of the occupants. Maybe he dislikes Macy's. Who, after all, sold ivory during his lifetime.
  #6  
Old March 5th 19, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 805
Default Sometimes a helmet just isn't enough

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 14:12:35 -0800 (PST), Doug Landau
wrote:

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 9:28:27 AM UTC-8, Mark J. wrote:
On 2/28/2019 9:02 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 22:27:17 -0600, Gregory Sutter
wrote:

On 2019-02-27, John B Slocomb wrote:

As the title says, sometimes a helmet isn't sufficient protection.
https://bit.ly/2H590Bd

Link expands to:
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...o-yai-elephant
(Please don't use URL shorteners unless necessary...)

In which cyclist is chased by oliphaunt.

"His family later learned the elephant is known as Yoyo and becomes
annoyed whenever he encounters tourists' vehicles, but has never hurt
anyone."

Given the size and strength of elephants it is best not to irritate
them as the usually result is the death of the irritant :-)

The comment about tourist vehicles is rather strange as the highway
through Khao Yai is used by both tourists and locals. Unless the
elephant can tell the difference between locals and tourists... maybe
the elephant can read the number plates?


Teach 'em once and they never forget.

Mark J.


More likely it's the smell of the occupants. Maybe he dislikes Macy's. Who, after all, sold ivory during his lifetime.


Perhaps. I've read that an elephant has a better ability to smell than
dogs do.

Or maybe elephants don't care for the cheap cars that tourists drive
and prefer Mercedes' and BM's

--
Cheers,
John B.


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A helmet for monsieur's helmet, perhaps? Chalo Techniques 17 August 12th 12 10:58 PM
Bicycle helmet vs Skate helmet dangerlaef Unicycling 31 December 19th 08 12:57 AM
FS: Giro Pneumo Lone Star Edition helmet w/ helmet pod Robbie Brown Marketplace 0 November 18th 04 03:44 PM
published helmet research - is helmet good thing or bad? Just zis Guy, you know? Racing 0 July 30th 04 08:51 AM
published helmet research - is helmet good thing or bad? Just zis Guy, you know? Social Issues 0 July 30th 04 08:51 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.