A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Wheel weight



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 4th 19, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 805
Default Wheel weight


Yesterday I had the front wheels off two bicycles and on impulse I
weighed them. One bike front wheel with 23mm tire and skewer, complete
as installed on the bike weighed 2.9Kg and the second bike wheel,
again complete as installed, weighed 2.8Kg. The bikes are both steel
frame road bike, not racing bikes and the wheels are typical aluminum
rims.

Would this be a typical wheel weight? Heavy? Light?

--
Cheers,
John B.


Ads
  #2  
Old March 5th 19, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,086
Default Wheel weight

On 3/4/2019 4:58 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Yesterday I had the front wheels off two bicycles and on impulse I
weighed them. One bike front wheel with 23mm tire and skewer, complete
as installed on the bike weighed 2.9Kg and the second bike wheel,
again complete as installed, weighed 2.8Kg. The bikes are both steel
frame road bike, not racing bikes and the wheels are typical aluminum
rims.

Would this be a typical wheel weight? Heavy? Light?


Sounds typical.

Two road front wheels w/rubber & skewer shown on scale he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/frontwheel.html

SuperChampion Record w/300g tubular 2lb 7.5oz
Velocity Aerohead w/Michelin Lithion 2lb 12 oz

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #3  
Old March 5th 19, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,826
Default Wheel weight

On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2019 4:58 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Yesterday I had the front wheels off two bicycles and on impulse I
weighed them. One bike front wheel with 23mm tire and skewer, complete
as installed on the bike weighed 2.9Kg and the second bike wheel,
again complete as installed, weighed 2.8Kg. The bikes are both steel
frame road bike, not racing bikes and the wheels are typical aluminum
rims.


Really? 2.8 kg is over 6 pounds. Can that be right?


Would this be a typical wheel weight? Heavy? Light?


Sounds typical.

Two road front wheels w/rubber & skewer shown on scale he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/frontwheel.html

SuperChampion Record w/300g tubular 2lb 7.5oz
Velocity Aerohead w/Michelin Lithion 2lb 12 oz


John was talking kilograms, not pounds. His 2.8 kg sounds awfully heavy.

I just weighed my front wheel twice, using two different scales. The
small spring scale said 1500 grams. The digital scale said 1540 grams.
That's about 3.3 pounds.

That's a Sun CR-18 rim, Pasela 28mm tire, 36 spokes, SunTour hub and
skewer. It's a touring wheel.

--
- Frank Krygowski
  #4  
Old March 5th 19, 07:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,880
Default Wheel weight

On 5/3/19 2:26 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2019 4:58 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Yesterday I had the front wheels off two bicycles and on impulse I
weighed them. One bike front wheel with 23mm tire and skewer, complete
as installed on the bike weighed 2.9Kg and the second bike wheel,
again complete as installed, weighed 2.8Kg. The bikes are both steel
frame road bike, not racing bikes and the wheels are typical aluminum
rims.


Really? 2.8 kg is over 6 pounds. Can that be right?


Would this be a typical wheel weight? Heavy? Light?


Sounds typical.

Two road front wheels w/rubber & skewer shown on scale he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/frontwheel.html

SuperChampion Record w/300g tubular 2lb 7.5oz
Velocity Aerohead w/Michelin Lithion 2lb 12 oz


John was talking kilograms, not pounds. His 2.8 kg sounds awfully heavy.

I just weighed my front wheel twice, using two different scales. The
small spring scale said 1500 grams. The digital scale said 1540 grams.
That's about 3.3 pounds.

That's a Sun CR-18 rim, Pasela 28mm tire, 36 spokes, SunTour hub and
skewer. It's a touring wheel.


Agree. I think a front wheel for racing would weigh about 1 kg. At
least I think mine is close to that.

John, Here is a listing of front and rear wheel weights, typically
without a tyre mounted. Add maybe 200g for a that, for a relatively
light weight tyre.
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=roadwheels

--
JS
  #5  
Old March 5th 19, 09:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 805
Default Wheel weight

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 22:26:16 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2019 4:58 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Yesterday I had the front wheels off two bicycles and on impulse I
weighed them. One bike front wheel with 23mm tire and skewer, complete
as installed on the bike weighed 2.9Kg and the second bike wheel,
again complete as installed, weighed 2.8Kg. The bikes are both steel
frame road bike, not racing bikes and the wheels are typical aluminum
rims.


Really? 2.8 kg is over 6 pounds. Can that be right?


Damn this is embarrassing.

After reading your post and thinking "Hey! he's right" I went out and
weighed a spare wheel. This time I took two scales and compared them.
The wheel with tire, skewer, etc. weighed 1.40kg with one scale and
1.41 with the other. When I weighed it the first time I wrote down
3.1kg.

Since normally I can read numerals pretty well I now have to try and
figure out how I went wrong :-(



--
Cheers,
John B.


  #6  
Old March 5th 19, 09:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 805
Default Wheel weight

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 17:57:19 +1100, James
wrote:

On 5/3/19 2:26 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2019 4:58 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Yesterday I had the front wheels off two bicycles and on impulse I
weighed them. One bike front wheel with 23mm tire and skewer, complete
as installed on the bike weighed 2.9Kg and the second bike wheel,
again complete as installed, weighed 2.8Kg. The bikes are both steel
frame road bike, not racing bikes and the wheels are typical aluminum
rims.


Really? 2.8 kg is over 6 pounds. Can that be right?


Would this be a typical wheel weight? Heavy? Light?

Sounds typical.

Two road front wheels w/rubber & skewer shown on scale he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/frontwheel.html

SuperChampion Record w/300g tubular 2lb 7.5oz
Velocity Aerohead w/Michelin Lithion 2lb 12 oz


John was talking kilograms, not pounds. His 2.8 kg sounds awfully heavy.

I just weighed my front wheel twice, using two different scales. The
small spring scale said 1500 grams. The digital scale said 1540 grams.
That's about 3.3 pounds.

That's a Sun CR-18 rim, Pasela 28mm tire, 36 spokes, SunTour hub and
skewer. It's a touring wheel.


Agree. I think a front wheel for racing would weigh about 1 kg. At
least I think mine is close to that.

John, Here is a listing of front and rear wheel weights, typically
without a tyre mounted. Add maybe 200g for a that, for a relatively
light weight tyre.
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=roadwheels


Thanks but before I use the table I need to re-weigh the wheels as I
found, after checking with two scales that for some reason I had
written down 3.1kg and when I weighed it again it had, somehow, become
1.4kg. Embarrassing, to say the least and I think I had better take
more care in counting my change from the super market :-(

--
Cheers,
John B.


  #7  
Old March 5th 19, 10:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 356
Default Wheel weight

On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 9:44:38 AM UTC+1, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 22:26:16 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2019 4:58 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Yesterday I had the front wheels off two bicycles and on impulse I
weighed them. One bike front wheel with 23mm tire and skewer, complete
as installed on the bike weighed 2.9Kg and the second bike wheel,
again complete as installed, weighed 2.8Kg. The bikes are both steel
frame road bike, not racing bikes and the wheels are typical aluminum
rims.


Really? 2.8 kg is over 6 pounds. Can that be right?


Damn this is embarrassing.

After reading your post and thinking "Hey! he's right" I went out and
weighed a spare wheel. This time I took two scales and compared them.
The wheel with tire, skewer, etc. weighed 1.40kg with one scale and
1.41 with the other. When I weighed it the first time I wrote down
3.1kg.

Since normally I can read numerals pretty well I now have to try and
figure out how I went wrong :-(



--
Cheers,
John B.



Still heavy in my world:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cmbDXwWvMibfs1Pg7

Lou
  #8  
Old March 5th 19, 10:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 805
Default Wheel weight

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 01:12:01 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 9:44:38 AM UTC+1, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 22:26:16 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2019 4:58 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Yesterday I had the front wheels off two bicycles and on impulse I
weighed them. One bike front wheel with 23mm tire and skewer, complete
as installed on the bike weighed 2.9Kg and the second bike wheel,
again complete as installed, weighed 2.8Kg. The bikes are both steel
frame road bike, not racing bikes and the wheels are typical aluminum
rims.

Really? 2.8 kg is over 6 pounds. Can that be right?


Damn this is embarrassing.

After reading your post and thinking "Hey! he's right" I went out and
weighed a spare wheel. This time I took two scales and compared them.
The wheel with tire, skewer, etc. weighed 1.40kg with one scale and
1.41 with the other. When I weighed it the first time I wrote down
3.1kg.

Since normally I can read numerals pretty well I now have to try and
figure out how I went wrong :-(



--
Cheers,
John B.



Still heavy in my world:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cmbDXwWvMibfs1Pg7

Lou


Your photo isn't too clear. I copied it and enlarged it and the scale
reading seems to be 1045, 1.45 Kg? Is that with the tire, skewer and
any other normal bits and pieces included or is that the bare wheel?

--
Cheers,
John B.


  #9  
Old March 5th 19, 11:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 356
Default Wheel weight

On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 10:31:05 AM UTC+1, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 01:12:01 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 9:44:38 AM UTC+1, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 22:26:16 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2019 4:58 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Yesterday I had the front wheels off two bicycles and on impulse I
weighed them. One bike front wheel with 23mm tire and skewer, complete
as installed on the bike weighed 2.9Kg and the second bike wheel,
again complete as installed, weighed 2.8Kg. The bikes are both steel
frame road bike, not racing bikes and the wheels are typical aluminum
rims.

Really? 2.8 kg is over 6 pounds. Can that be right?


Damn this is embarrassing.

After reading your post and thinking "Hey! he's right" I went out and
weighed a spare wheel. This time I took two scales and compared them.
The wheel with tire, skewer, etc. weighed 1.40kg with one scale and
1.41 with the other. When I weighed it the first time I wrote down
3.1kg.

Since normally I can read numerals pretty well I now have to try and
figure out how I went wrong :-(



--
Cheers,
John B.



Still heavy in my world:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cmbDXwWvMibfs1Pg7

Lou


Your photo isn't too clear. I copied it and enlarged it and the scale
reading seems to be 1045, 1.45 Kg? Is that with the tire, skewer and
any other normal bits and pieces included or is that the bare wheel?

--
Cheers,
John B.


It is 1045 grams. Kilo means 10^3 so it is 1.045 kilogram. See how easy our units are; just shift the decimal point ;-). I don't know what that is in mickey mouse units. All bits and pieces included and that is a 32 spoke wheel. I have to admit it is a light rim (425 grams IIRC), a light Tune hub and reasonable light tube and tire.

Lou
Lou

Lou
  #10  
Old March 5th 19, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 80
Default Wheel weight

On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 3:44:38 AM UTC-5, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 22:26:16 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2019 4:58 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Yesterday I had the front wheels off two bicycles and on impulse I
weighed them. One bike front wheel with 23mm tire and skewer, complete
as installed on the bike weighed 2.9Kg and the second bike wheel,
again complete as installed, weighed 2.8Kg. The bikes are both steel
frame road bike, not racing bikes and the wheels are typical aluminum
rims.


Really? 2.8 kg is over 6 pounds. Can that be right?


Damn this is embarrassing.

After reading your post and thinking "Hey! he's right" I went out and
weighed a spare wheel. This time I took two scales and compared them.
The wheel with tire, skewer, etc. weighed 1.40kg with one scale and
1.41 with the other. When I weighed it the first time I wrote down
3.1kg.

Since normally I can read numerals pretty well I now have to try and
figure out how I went wrong :-(


~1.4 Kg doesn't actually sound too far off for a non-racing wheel.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel Weight Inexplicably Increases 20 gms In 2 Weeks Bret Cahill UK 2 August 13th 18 05:59 PM
Adding weight to a wheel feel the light Unicycling 41 March 25th 08 09:14 PM
What happens if you hang a weight from the bottom of a wheel? [email protected] Techniques 16 September 17th 06 06:42 AM
Bike weight=Rider weight Penster Techniques 25 August 14th 06 02:36 AM
Is body weight equivalent to bicycle weight? Bruce W.1 Techniques 37 July 27th 05 01:45 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.