Generic Brakes vs Dura-Ace 7700 brakes ?

Old June 7th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Generic Brakes vs Dura-Ace 7700 brakes ?

I have a Giant OCR1 road bike that came with generic brakes, probably
Tectro (?). Being used to V-brakes on my beater bike, I thought the
Giant generic brakes were lousy. I put Kook-Stop black pads on them
and they do work noticeably better. But I like having very good and
controllable stopping power. I can get a used but very clean set of
DuraAce 7700 brakes for $70. Will they work noticeabley better? Weight
is not a concern as there is probably very little difference.

thanks to all

Old June 7th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

RS wrote:
I have a Giant OCR1 road bike that came with generic brakes, probably
Tectro (?). Being used to V-brakes on my beater bike, I thought the
Giant generic brakes were lousy. I put Kook-Stop black pads on them
and they do work noticeably better. But I like having very good and
controllable stopping power. I can get a used but very clean set of
DuraAce 7700 brakes for $70. Will they work noticeabley better? Weight
is not a concern as there is probably very little difference.

If you want better braking the consensus here is to get yourself a set
of Kool-Stop Salmon colored brake pads. At about $10 per caliper its
cheaper than another set of brake calipers, especially if weigh is not
a concern.

Old June 8th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

bfd wrote:
RS wrote:
I have a Giant OCR1 road bike that came with generic brakes, probably
Tectro (?). Being used to V-brakes on my beater bike, I thought the
Giant generic brakes were lousy. I put Kook-Stop black pads on them
and they do work noticeably better. But I like having very good and
controllable stopping power. I can get a used but very clean set of
DuraAce 7700 brakes for $70. Will they work noticeabley better?
Weight is not a concern as there is probably very little difference.

If you want better braking the consensus here is to get yourself a set
of Kool-Stop Salmon colored brake pads. At about $10 per caliper its
cheaper than another set of brake calipers, especially if weigh is not
a concern.

The OP has KS pads already. Salmon isn't appreciably different than black.
The $20 is far better spent on cables and housing.

--
Phil

Old June 7th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Not the 7700s. Good cables might improve things. (The 7700s were
hollowed out a bit to reduce weight. There were complaints about their
lack of stiffness. This was apparently fixed with the 7800s.)

Old June 9th 06, 07:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

richard Wrote:
7700s were hollowed out a bit to reduce weight. There were complaints
about their lack of stiffness. This was apparently fixed with the
7800s.)
]yes, I think my 7800s are 10g heavier than my 7700s. True

--
531Aussie

Old June 8th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

RS wrote:
I have a Giant OCR1 road bike that came with generic brakes, probably
Tectro (?). Being used to V-brakes on my beater bike, I thought the
Giant generic brakes were lousy. I put Kook-Stop black pads on them
and they do work noticeably better. But I like having very good and
controllable stopping power. I can get a used but very clean set of
DuraAce 7700 brakes for $70. Will they work noticeabley better?
Weight is not a concern as there is probably very little difference.

thanks to all

No. Your cables and housing are likely in need of lube, replacement, or
both.

--
Phil

Old June 8th 06, 09:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
RS wrote:
I have a Giant OCR1 road bike that came with generic brakes, probably
Tectro (?). Being used to V-brakes on my beater bike, I thought the
Giant generic brakes were lousy. I put Kook-Stop black pads on them
and they do work noticeably better. But I like having very good and
controllable stopping power. I can get a used but very clean set of
DuraAce 7700 brakes for $70. Will they work noticeabley better?
Weight is not a concern as there is probably very little difference.

thanks to all

No. Your cables and housing are likely in need of lube, replacement, or
both.

--
Phil

Not doubting your advice, but all I read about the tektro was that they
are rather mushy.

But indeed, start with good cabling... you can allways decide to
upgrade afterwards.

Old June 8th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Not doubting your advice, but all I read about the tektro was that
they are rather mushy.

I have these brakes on my bike, and honestly they're not mushy at all after
lubing the cables and housing. They were horrendous until I did so though.

Mushy feelings are usually due to either affection, or the brake pads not
being oriented completely square to the rim. Pads without orbital
adjustment suffer severely from this. Remember, not all Tektros are
equipped with the orbital adjusters.

--
Phil

Old June 9th 06, 10:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
Not doubting your advice, but all I read about the tektro was that
they are rather mushy.

I have these brakes on my bike, and honestly they're not mushy at all after
lubing the cables and housing. They were horrendous until I did so though.

Mushy feelings are usually due to either affection, or the brake pads not
being oriented completely square to the rim. Pads without orbital
adjustment suffer severely from this. Remember, not all Tektros are
equipped with the orbital adjusters.

--
Phil

Good to know

Btw, related: I have a race bike with Chorus 2004 and a training
race-bike with Veloce 2004, yet the Chorus feels a lot stiffer. Is that
a calipher difference or is that a case of tuning too?

Old June 10th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tuschinski wrote:
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
Not doubting your advice, but all I read about the tektro was that
they are rather mushy.

I have these brakes on my bike, and honestly they're not mushy at
all after lubing the cables and housing. They were horrendous until
I did so though.

Mushy feelings are usually due to either affection, or the brake
pads not being oriented completely square to the rim. Pads without
orbital adjustment suffer severely from this. Remember, not all
Tektros are equipped with the orbital adjusters.

--
Phil

Good to know

Btw, related: I have a race bike with Chorus 2004 and a training
race-bike with Veloce 2004, yet the Chorus feels a lot stiffer. Is
that a calipher difference or is that a case of tuning too?

If the pads are totally square to the rim, it's a caliper *and* brake lever
difference, if the housing is the same type.
--
Phil