disc brakes on front, v-brakes on rear

Old October 20th 03, 09:54 PM
jack

Default disc brakes on front, v-brakes on rear

"Zilla" wrote in message
. ..
$50! That costs as much as the brake system!

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Yep, it's only worth it if you got a frame that you really like. I've got
an old RM (steel is real) frame that I like. It's got a life time warranty.

Old October 20th 03, 11:34 PM
BigfootDenny

Default Works fine for me...

"Paul R" wrote in message

Has anyone tried this? Does it work for you?

Yes, it works just fine...

FWIW, I just designed my new full rigid Titus 1x9 around this setup... went
Avid mechanical disk up front, with Avid Ti V brake on rear. Primarily for
overall weight savings and ability to run a wider choice of rims. I'm
running Avid Ultimate levers which provide excellent feel on both ends...
This bike is not intended to be an all-weather conditions ride -- but if it
were I'd choose disk at both ends...

-BigfootDenny

Old October 20th 03, 11:36 PM
P e t e F a g e r l i n

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:34:03 -0400, "BigfootDenny"
wrote:

"Paul R" wrote in message

Has anyone tried this? Does it work for you?

Yes, it works just fine...

FWIW, I just designed my new full rigid Titus 1x9 around this

setup... went
Avid mechanical disk up front, with Avid Ti V brake on rear.

Primarily for
overall weight savings and ability to run a wider choice of rims.

I'm
running Avid Ultimate levers which provide excellent feel on both

ends...
This bike is not intended to be an all-weather conditions ride -- but

if it
were I'd choose disk at both ends...

Back to quoting school for you.

Old October 21st 03, 12:20 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Has anyone tried this? Does it work for you?

I did, very briefly.

Three observations:

1) The sound of v-brakes on a muddy rim drove me back

2) Although most of the stopping power is in the front wheel, the rear wheel is
the one that breaks loose/skids easiest. Given that, the better modulation of
hydraulic discs would seem to redeem them for rear use.

3) I liked the idea of cable vees in the back as a reliability factor. You get
the right gunk on those discs and the brakes just flat don't work. OTOH,
whatever got the right gunk on the discs might just as well get the same stuff
on the rims....
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 21st 03, 12:34 AM
jack

"Per Elmsäter" wrote in message
jack wrote:
Get one of these if you want to add disk brakes to your rear.

I've heard it said that it's difficult to take your rear wheel off with
these thingys on. Do you know anything about that? The picture sure looks
good and I can't figure out why. I was advised against doing that on my

old
frame for that very reason.

--
Perre

You need to unscrew the QR level all the way out so you can release the
wheel.

How often do you take your rear wheel off?

Old October 21st 03, 12:53 AM
Martin Nikolaj Bech

"Paul R" skrev i en meddelelse
Has anyone tried this? Does it work for you?

I don't want to add lugs for rear disc brakes to my frame, so I would only
consider using discs on the front.

I imagine it should be fine, as most of the braking power comes from the
front anyway. The rear brake does not need as much modulation or power as
the front.

Any comments?

Paul

You should also take your riding conditions under consideration when
chosing, for example if you're riding in loose sand or muddy condition I
would prefer the Disc on the rear wheel as well.

I don't like to use the brake on the front wheel in those coditions.....
Just my opinion.

But it works fine in most cases.

Martin

Old October 21st 03, 04:55 AM
Westie

"Paul R" wrote in message
Has anyone tried this? Does it work for you?

I just built up an old frame llike this last week and I've been riding it
non-stop since then.
It works absolutely fine and I have no problems whatsoever with it. In fact
I quite like it.
I'm using Avid AD-3 levers, mechanical Shimano Deore disc on the front, and
cheap Promax V's on the rear.

Random thoughts, in no particular order:
Modulating the rear V is harder than the front disc. But we all knew that
about disc's versus V's anyway.
Stopping power is fantastic at both ends. The v's lock the rear easily so
no problems there.
Maybe a long downhill will fade the v's but I haven't one yet.
Grit on the rim and in v's is never pleasant but rarely a problem with
discs.
Both the mech discs and the v's need adjusting from time to time.
I'm not racing so getting the rear wheel out in a hurry is a non-issue.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Old October 21st 03, 05:28 AM
JD

"Paul R" wrote in message ...
Has anyone tried this? Does it work for you?

I don't want to add lugs for rear disc brakes to my frame, so I would only
consider using discs on the front.

I imagine it should be fine, as most of the braking power comes from the
front anyway. The rear brake does not need as much modulation or power as
the front.

Any comments?

My next hardtail will be equipped as such. It makes good sense.

JD
Old October 21st 03, 07:00 AM
Mark Hickey

"Paul R" wrote:

Has anyone tried this? Does it work for you?

I don't want to add lugs for rear disc brakes to my frame, so I would only
consider using discs on the front.

I imagine it should be fine, as most of the braking power comes from the
front anyway. The rear brake does not need as much modulation or power as
the front.

Any comments?

I'll be labeled a heretic (again...) but if you want even better "more
disc-like" performance from that rear brake, use plain ol' cantis on
the back end. Set up right, they'll provide plenty of stopping power
(more than you can use), and will modulate a lot better than the V's
(a generalization, but a pretty accurate one). That saves the trails,
too.

That is, of course, assuming you have a bike that still has a brake
stop for a canti (or, you can mount one of the seatpost QR-mounted
stops).

PS - cantis are lighter than V's... ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old October 21st 03, 10:09 AM
Shaun Rimmer

"Paul R" wrote in message
Has anyone tried this? Does it work for you?

I don't want to add lugs for rear disc brakes to my frame, so I would only
consider using discs on the front.

I imagine it should be fine, as most of the braking power comes from the
front anyway. The rear brake does not need as much modulation or power as
the front.

Any comments?

Works just fine for me,and has been for a couple years now.

Shaun aRe