I am buying too much

Old November 3rd 04, 06:44 PM
Maggie

Default I am buying too much

Dear Bicycles.misc
OK, now I am obsessed with my bicycle. I keep going back to the bike
shop to look at things. This is not good considering my favorite
hobby was always spending money. I blame this newsgroup.....you are
way too happy cycling. You are very passionate about the sport. You
are way too friendly to newbies. You share your love of cycling. You
put up with my posts. You are friendly and encouraging. YOU TERRIBLE
PEOPLE YOU!!!! Now I am going to go broke. (But I may be healthy.)
Healthy and broke.
Peace
http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/
Old November 3rd 04, 06:55 PM
do not spam

In article ,
Maggie wrote:
OK, now I am obsessed with my bicycle. I keep going back to the bike
shop to look at things.

Compared to a lot of other sports, cycling is cheap. You don't have to
pay entrance fees or buy gas, etc. A new bike can be pricey, but it
lasts a long time (possibly your lifetime). The only parts that wear
out frequently are the tires and chain, but they can be cheap if you
don't want the very best. If you hand wash your clothes, they will
usually drip-dry overnight so you can use them again the next day.
Old November 3rd 04, 07:01 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Maggie wrote:
Dear Bicycles.misc
OK, now I am obsessed with my bicycle. I keep going back to the bike
shop to look at things. This is not good considering my favorite
hobby was always spending money. I blame this newsgroup.....you are
way too happy cycling. You are very passionate about the sport. You
are way too friendly to newbies. You share your love of cycling. You
put up with my posts. You are friendly and encouraging. YOU TERRIBLE
PEOPLE YOU!!!! Now I am going to go broke. (But I may be healthy.)
Healthy and broke.

So what's your point?

;-)

Bill "shaddup and spend" S.

Old November 3rd 04, 07:14 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Maggie" wrote: (clip) This is not good considering my favorite hobby was
always spending money. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So this is nothing new. The only difference is that now you are doing
something wholesome with your "wasted" money. Just don't be like me, and
shift your emphasis away from riding and onto spending. :-) (i.e., "I
could go for a ride this afternoon, or go the the LBS.") At least, RIDE to
the LBS.

Old November 3rd 04, 07:31 PM
mark

"Maggie" wrote ...
Dear Bicycles.misc
OK, now I am obsessed with my bicycle. I keep going back to the bike
shop to look at things. This is not good considering my favorite
hobby was always spending money. I blame this newsgroup.....you are
way too happy cycling. You are very passionate about the sport. You
are way too friendly to newbies. You share your love of cycling. You
put up with my posts. You are friendly and encouraging. YOU TERRIBLE
PEOPLE YOU!!!! Now I am going to go broke. (But I may be healthy.)
Healthy and broke.
Peace

As one of the regulars on uk.rec.cycling likes to say, "One can never spend
too much money on bicycles, or have too many bicycles". Not sure if I got
the wording right, but that was the general idea of her statement.
--
mark

Old November 3rd 04, 08:24 PM
David L. Johnson

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 17:55:46 +0000, do not spam wrote:

In article , Maggie
wrote:
OK, now I am obsessed with my bicycle. I keep going back to the bike shop
to look at things.

Compared to a lot of other sports, cycling is cheap.

Well, except for the medical expenses running is cheaper.
Basketball is cheaper, but you need a team, or at least someone to go
1-on-1 with. Cycling, you can do by yourself, though it is more fun with
others.

Horseback riding is a lot more, as is golf. Tennis is probably comparable
in price to cycling, maybe cheaper if you have free access to courts, but
you can't use your tennis racket for commuting to work. Skiing costs
buckets more and you have to wait until there is snow. Even working out
at the gym, which is not even a sport, costs more over the long run.
Besides, it's boring.

pay entrance fees or buy gas, etc. A new bike can be pricey, but it
lasts a long time (possibly your lifetime). The only parts that wear
out frequently are the tires and chain, but they can be cheap if you
don't want the very best.

Well, I'd say that paying more for such things does not mean you get
better. The difference in the prices for SRAM chains is based on finish
(how shiny the outside is), not performance. Their cheapest chain works
as well and lasts as long as their most-expensive chain. Tires are
similar; there are $25 tires that last longer and have less rolling
resistance than $50 tires.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand
_`\(,_ | mathematics.
(_)/ (_) |

Old November 4th 04, 02:18 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Maggie wrote:
Dear Bicycles.misc
OK, now I am obsessed with my bicycle. I keep going back to the bike
shop to look at things.

The big sale at Tempe Bicycles a week ago kind of cured me
of this. I caught up almost completely on my wish-list
and got a half-dozen things I never knew I wanted until they
were 60% off.

Now I just want an Arizona flag design jersey (TB didn't
have any) and a Catey CC-TR100 computer (which at this
point is vaporware). Maybe some 27" foldup tires.

Oh, and either a Serrota or a Bianchi. But I'm not ready
to divorce my Holdsworth (I just put all those goodies on
it) and part with $3-8k yet, so that'll stay back-burnered.

This is not good considering my favorite
hobby was always spending money. I blame this newsgroup.....you are
way too happy cycling. You are very passionate about the sport. You
are way too friendly to newbies. You share your love of cycling. You
put up with my posts. You are friendly and encouraging. YOU TERRIBLE
PEOPLE YOU!!!! Now I am going to go broke. (But I may be healthy.)
Healthy and broke.
Peace
http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

Um, it's your turn to pull.

--Blair
"The peloton, I mean. Go faster."
Old November 4th 04, 02:26 AM
Blair P. Houghton

do not spam wrote:
In article ,
Maggie wrote:
OK, now I am obsessed with my bicycle. I keep going back to the bike
shop to look at things.

Compared to a lot of other sports, cycling is cheap. You don't have to
pay entrance fees or buy gas, etc. A new bike can be pricey, but it
lasts a long time (possibly your lifetime). The only parts that wear
out frequently are the tires and chain, but they can be cheap if you
don't want the very best. If you hand wash your clothes, they will
usually drip-dry overnight so you can use them again the next day.

I toss mine in the washer and start it as soon as I enter
from the garage. Cold water, about an ounce of liquid
detergent, let it spin, hang it on the railing to dry out,
no dripping involved.

Spandex is virtually indestructible under designed usage.
Some of my stuff easily has over 10K miles on it, and
still feels like new after 12 years in the closet.

--Blair
"I want my next car upholstered in it."
Old November 4th 04, 05:53 AM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

I toss mine in the washer and start it as soon as I enter
from the garage. Cold water, about an ounce of liquid
detergent, let it spin, hang it on the railing to dry out,
no dripping involved.

What a selfish waste of resources (water & electricity). Wait till you
have a full load, for Mother's sake.

Spandex is virtually indestructible under designed usage.
Some of my stuff easily has over 10K miles on it, and
still feels like new after 12 years in the closet.

It's time for you to come OUT of the closet, Blair.

Bill "too easy to pass up" S.

Old November 4th 04, 12:06 PM
Michael Warner

On 3 Nov 2004 09:44:23 -0800, Maggie wrote:

OK, now I am obsessed with my bicycle. I keep going back to the bike
shop to look at things. This is not good considering my favorite
hobby was always spending money. I blame this newsgroup.....you are
way too happy cycling.

A few tips:

- Don't take credit or transaction cards to the shop. Stick with cash.
You'll be able to bargain for better discounts, too :-)

- Ride so much that you don't have so much time to spend at the shop.

- Frequent shops that are a long way away.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

general buying advice please David UK 9 June 25th 04 09:57 PM
Bianchi Buying Advice mowestusa Techniques 3 April 30th 04 09:33 PM
Buying in Germany GreyFx2 Recumbent Biking 2 March 22nd 04 09:51 AM
Buying mail order from Italy Me UK 15 December 7th 03 08:41 PM