DA7700 Shifter stripped screw advise needed

Old April 12th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RS

Default DA7700 Shifter stripped screw advise needed

I went to change the shifter cables on my DA7700 equiped bike and the little
screw holding the cover over the shift cable end wouldn't come off. I managed
to mangle it further. Images are below, any ideas how to get the little screw
off? After using various tiny philips screwdrivers and I tried small straight
bladed screwdrivers. It won't budge. I can't get a small pair of vise grips on it,
screw head is much too small and rounded. Thanks to all, Rick.

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/stripped.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/stripped_b.jp

Old April 12th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

RS wrote:
I went to change the shifter cables on my DA7700 equiped bike and the little
screw holding the cover over the shift cable end wouldn't come off. I managed
to mangle it further. Images are below, any ideas how to get the little screw
off? After using various tiny philips screwdrivers and I tried small straight
bladed screwdrivers. It won't budge. I can't get a small pair of vise grips on it,
screw head is much too small and rounded. Thanks to all, Rick.

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/stripped.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/stripped_b.jp

Grind a slot in it with a dremel cut off wheel and use a flat screwdriver.

Lou
Old April 12th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard

"Werehatrack" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:56:54 +0200, Lou Holtman
may have said:

RS wrote:
I went to change the shifter cables on my DA7700 equiped bike and the
little
screw holding the cover over the shift cable end wouldn't come off. I
managed
to mangle it further. Images are below, any ideas how to get the little
screw
off? After using various tiny philips screwdrivers and I tried small
straight
bladed screwdrivers. It won't budge. I can't get a small pair of vise
grips on it,
screw head is much too small and rounded. Thanks to all, Rick.

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/stripped.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/stripped_b.jp

Grind a slot in it with a dremel cut off wheel and use a flat screwdriver.

It may loosen up a bit if you give it a light whack dead center with a
tiny punch and a light hammer; I'd do that prior to slotting it with
the Dremel.

Heat is good. A gas torch might not be a good idea but an 80W electric
soldering iron applied to the head of the screw will help. Slotting it
carefully with a Dremel cutoff wheel as suggested above might be the only
way to get a grip on it once the heat has loosened up the corrosion holding
it. If you don't have a Dremel tool now's your excuse to get one, or a
cheapo $20 imitation.

PH

Old April 13th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
RS wrote:

I went to change the shifter cables on my DA7700 equiped bike and the little
screw holding the cover over the shift cable end wouldn't come off. I managed
to mangle it further. Images are below, any ideas how to get the little screw
off? After using various tiny philips screwdrivers and I tried small straight
bladed screwdrivers. It won't budge. I can't get a small pair of vise grips on it,
screw head is much too small and rounded. Thanks to all, Rick.

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/stripped.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/stripped_b.jp

Vise grips?
O2 and H-C-C-H torch?
Tactical nuke?

--
Michael Press
Old April 13th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:03:30 -0700, Michael Press
may have said:

In article ,
RS wrote:

I went to change the shifter cables on my DA7700 equiped bike and the little
screw holding the cover over the shift cable end wouldn't come off. I managed
to mangle it further. Images are below, any ideas how to get the little screw
off? After using various tiny philips screwdrivers and I tried small straight
bladed screwdrivers. It won't budge. I can't get a small pair of vise grips on it,
screw head is much too small and rounded. Thanks to all, Rick.

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/stripped.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/stripped_b.jp

Vise grips?
O2 and H-C-C-H torch?
Tactical nuke?

After the fact?

TacNuke; now there's a tool none of us gets to use often enough.

Old April 13th 08, 06:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joel Mayes

On 2008-04-12, RS wrote:
I went to change the shifter cables on my DA7700 equiped bike and the
little screw holding the cover over the shift cable end wouldn't come
off. I managed to mangle it further. Images are below, any ideas how
to get the little screw off? After using various tiny philips
screwdrivers and I tried small straight bladed screwdrivers. It won't
budge. I can't get a small pair of vise grips on it, screw head is
much too small and rounded. Thanks to all, Rick.

Kinchrome make a small size bolt extractors called Kwick Outs, you need
a reversable power drill to use them.

Cheers

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
| Affordable second hand bikes
(03) 9029 6504 | Bicycle reuse centre
www.humanpowered.com.au | Mechanical and on-road training and instruction