Sram chains Road/MTB What's the difference.

Old November 1st 05, 01:00 AM
Chris Hughes

Default Sram chains Road/MTB What's the difference.

Went in the bike shop today for a new 9 speed chain. I was talking about
road bikes with the saleman before I asked for the chain and he assumed I
was looking for a chain for my road bike and that is what he gave me. In
fact it is for my mountain bike. It a PC-89 road chain, can it be used on
the MTB? What's the difference? Do I use it or make a trip back to the
bike shop before I ride tomorrow?
Thanks
Chris

Old November 1st 05, 01:08 AM

In article s6z9f.5745$LR1.3060@dukeread09,
Chris Hughes wrote:
Went in the bike shop today for a new 9 speed chain. I was talking about
road bikes with the saleman before I asked for the chain and he assumed I
was looking for a chain for my road bike and that is what he gave me. In
fact it is for my mountain bike.

SRAM 9 speed chains are all compatible. In theory, some of the road-specific
chains are a little lighter weight (and perhaps less durable).
Old November 1st 05, 01:24 AM
D T W .../\\...

SRAM.com

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest, I've just wasted.

Old November 1st 05, 01:51 AM
Werehatrack

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:00:11 -0500, "Chris Hughes"
wrote:

Went in the bike shop today for a new 9 speed chain. I was talking about
road bikes with the saleman before I asked for the chain and he assumed I
was looking for a chain for my road bike and that is what he gave me. In
fact it is for my mountain bike. It a PC-89 road chain, can it be used on
the MTB? What's the difference? Do I use it or make a trip back to the
bike shop before I ride tomorrow?

The shaping of the sideplates is a bit different, and the road chains
have a small punched-out hole in the plates, but there's no reason why
it wouldn't work. OTOH, those punched holes will act as a collection
point for dirt. It's your choice whether to use it or not; it will
fit and function, but it's not the recommended type for your
application.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old November 1st 05, 02:13 AM
Sheldon Brown

Chris Hughes wrote:
Went in the bike shop today for a new 9 speed chain. I was talking about
road bikes with the saleman before I asked for the chain and he assumed I
was looking for a chain for my road bike and that is what he gave me. In
fact it is for my mountain bike. It a PC-89 road chain, can it be used on
the MTB? What's the difference?

No difference, it's just marketing hype.

There is nothing whatsoever "road-" or "mountain-specific" about any chain.

Sheldon "Ride It" Brown
Newtonville, Massachusetts
| You can fool some of the people all of the time, |
| ...and those are the ones we're after! --Anon. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old November 1st 05, 02:46 AM
damyth

Sheldon Brown wrote:

No difference, it's just marketing hype.

There is nothing whatsoever "road-" or "mountain-specific" about any chain.

Sheldon "Ride It" Brown

Which one is longer? Or do they both come in the same length?

Old November 1st 05, 03:06 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:

Went in the bike shop today for a new 9 speed chain. I was talking about
road bikes with the saleman before I asked for the chain and he assumed I
was looking for a chain for my road bike and that is what he gave me. In
fact it is for my mountain bike. It a PC-89 road chain, can it be used on
the MTB? What's the difference? Do I use it or make a trip back to the
bike shop before I ride tomorrow?

A road chain you just install on the bike. For a mountain chain, you
put it on exacly the same, and then you roll a spliff. Other than
that, no difference.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old November 1st 05, 03:15 AM
Bill Sornson

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

A road chain you just install on the bike. For a mountain chain, you
put it on exacly the same, and then you roll a spliff. Other than
that, no difference.

That belongs in alt.bikes.chainsmokers.

eg

Old November 1st 05, 07:02 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article .com,
says...

Which one is longer? Or do they both come in the same length?

Depends on how many links you remove to have it fit your bike.
Alex