Tire pressure on hot days?

Old July 14th 03, 03:15 PM
Sam Huffman

Default Tire pressure on hot days?

My sister was in a race in last month during which the temperature went from
about 60 degrees in the morning to 95 degrees in the mid-afternoon.

The bike techs were pumping tires up to full pressure, but a friend advised
her to drop the pressure to about 125 psi from her usual 175 psi due to the
anticipated heat. (PV=nRT, I suppose).

I'll be doing some light touring later this summer in similar conditions, and
am wondering if this is something I should watch out for? I.e. let air out of
my tires mid-day? I generally run close to the maximum listed tire
pressure. Or is this yet another tire pressure myth?

Thanks,
Sam

Old July 14th 03, 04:56 PM
Sam Huffman

"Doug Huffman" writes:

"Sam Huffman" wrote in message

The bike techs were pumping tires up to full pressure, but a friend

advised
her to drop the pressure to about 125 psi from her usual 175 psi due to

the
anticipated heat. (PV=nRT, I suppose).

I'll be doing some light touring later this summer in similar conditions,

and
am wondering if this is something I should watch out for? I.e. let air out

of
my tires mid-day? I generally run close to the maximum listed tire
pressure. Or is this yet another tire pressure myth?

If you're smart enough to write PV=nRT to the group then use it. Calculate
the P-delta for your T-delta.

I can do the calculation; it looks like a roughly 10% pressure increase as a
result of temperature increasing from 60 - 95 degrees. However the question is
whether other factors mitigate or aggravate this.

I saw a reference to an experiment done on car tires in which an increase in
ambient temperature from 67 to 85 degrees (~ 5%) resulted in tire pressure
increasing from 35 to 36.5 psi (~ 4%), which is probably within experimental
error.

However the same experiment found that the tire in direct sunlight increased
from 35 to 40 psi (~ 14%), which assuming the same result applies to bicycle
tires, might become problematic if someone rides near or at maximum pressure
normally.

I was wondering if anyone had any experimental or anecdotal evidence that
might apply to cycling.

Thanks,
Sam
Old July 14th 03, 04:57 PM
Kenny Lee

Sam Huffman wrote:
My sister was in a race in last month during which the temperature went from
about 60 degrees in the morning to 95 degrees in the mid-afternoon.

The bike techs were pumping tires up to full pressure, but a friend advised
her to drop the pressure to about 125 psi from her usual 175 psi due to the
anticipated heat. (PV=nRT, I suppose).

What tires is your sister that can be pumped up to 175 psi? My pro race
tires are only rated to 116 psi.

Kenny Lee

Old July 14th 03, 05:05 PM
KGB

Conti. Grandprix can be pumped to 175 psi, but what about the rim, Mavic
recomend up to about 130 psi

Gustav

Old July 14th 03, 06:21 PM
Steve Blankenship

"Sam Huffman" wrote in message
news

"Doug Huffman" writes:

[...]

Anecdotal? OK; ask Joseba Beloki about hot days, long descents and tubular
pressures.

175psi is pretty much pointless anywhere outside of *maybe* a velodrome
anyway, so why push it?

SB

Old July 14th 03, 07:30 PM
Peter Cole

"Sam Huffman" wrote in message
news

My sister was in a race in last month during which the temperature went from
about 60 degrees in the morning to 95 degrees in the mid-afternoon.

The bike techs were pumping tires up to full pressure, but a friend advised
her to drop the pressure to about 125 psi from her usual 175 psi due to the
anticipated heat. (PV=nRT, I suppose).

I'll be doing some light touring later this summer in similar conditions,

and
am wondering if this is something I should watch out for? I.e. let air out

of
my tires mid-day? I generally run close to the maximum listed tire
pressure. Or is this yet another tire pressure myth?

The real danger is tube heating from the rims during prolonged braking. This
is usually only a concern in winding, mountainous, descents where excess speed
has to constantly be shed. In these circumstances, rims can sizzle water and
it's a good idea to lower the pressure well below blowoff maximums before
descending. Where the actual blowoff is relative to the sidewall/rim specs is
hard to know, but some circumstances deserve a conservative approach.

Old July 14th 03, 08:26 PM
Art Harris

Sam Huffman: wrote:

My sister was in a race in last month during which the temperature went from
about 60 degrees in the morning to 95 degrees in the mid-afternoon.

The bike techs were pumping tires up to full pressure, but a friend advised
her to drop the pressure to about 125 psi from her usual 175 psi due to the
anticipated heat. (PV=nRT, I suppose).

She normally runs 175 psi?!!! Wow! That must make for a hard ride.

I normally wouldn't worry about a 30 degree change in air temperature,
but at 175 psi I might. What can really cause problems is rims heating
up from prolonged braking on long mountain descents.

Art Harris
Old July 15th 03, 01:23 AM
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On 14 Jul 2003 07:15:47 -0700, Sam Huffman
wrote:

I'll be doing some light touring later this summer in similar conditions, and
am wondering if this is something I should watch out for? I.e. let air out of
my tires mid-day? I generally run close to the maximum listed tire
pressure. Or is this yet another tire pressure myth?

Thanks,
Sam

How accurate is your gauge? Most people have no idea.

Barry

Old July 15th 03, 01:59 AM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

When I do a packed tour, I normally increase my tire pressure by 10%
(100 110 psi) dou to the simple fact that I'm carying (over)ten
percent more weight.

Even the heat of the California (or Carolina!) summer sun, I have never
had a tire blow out.

I weigh 175, usually carry about 27-30 lbs in the summer, I have
Weinmann touring rims and Hutchinson clincher tires rated at 100 psi. I
normaly ride them at 100 in the rear, 90 front (unladen bike).

May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!
Chris

Chris'Z Corner