How old before it's considered vintage? Or Antique?

Old June 16th 14, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default How old before it's considered vintage? Or Antique?

How old does a bicycle or part need to be before it's considered vintage?

HOw old does a bicycle or part need to be before it's considered antique?

I don't think 2001 stuff qualifies as either vintage or antique. Does it?

Cheers
Old June 16th 14, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
How old does a bicycle or part need to be before it's considered vintage?

HOw old does a bicycle or part need to be before it's considered antique?

I don't think 2001 stuff qualifies as either vintage or antique. Does it?

Cheers

I think antique is usually 100 years or more. Vintage I'm not sure. It's
taken from wine so should really have a year attached. Like a vintage 80
sun tour ... Or at least a period like a vintage 70s ...

And don't forget about retro. I think what we call vintage with bikes is
often retro. Old fashioned and outdated. Lol. Maybe you're looking for
classic like with cars?
--
duane
Old June 16th 14, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Monday, June 16, 2014 1:51:42 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
How old does a bicycle or part need to be before it's considered vintage?

No longer in production (?)

HOw old does a bicycle or part need to be before it's considered antique?

Old enough to have rust on it (?)

(Sorry, I know you may not appreciate my flip response.)

Maybe ask the cabe:

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/forum.php
Old June 17th 14, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/16/2014 4:51 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
How old does a bicycle or part need to be before it's considered vintage?

HOw old does a bicycle or part need to be before it's considered antique?

I don't think 2001 stuff qualifies as either vintage or antique. Does it?

Well, my motorcycle qualified for "historic vehicle" plates once it was
25 years old. One of my cars will meet that qualification next year.
"Historic" isn't quite the same as "antique," but I think one could
justify it as a synonym for "vintage."

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 17th 14, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/16/2014 7:36 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/16/2014 4:51 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
How old does a bicycle or part need to be before it's considered vintage?

HOw old does a bicycle or part need to be before it's considered
antique?

I don't think 2001 stuff qualifies as either vintage or antique. Does it?

Well, my motorcycle qualified for "historic vehicle" plates once it was
25 years old. One of my cars will meet that qualification next year.
"Historic" isn't quite the same as "antique," but I think one could
justify it as a synonym for "vintage."

BTW, I'll admit I was shocked the first time I saw a historic plate on a
Pontiac Fiero. I thought "That can't be right!"

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 17th 14, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
How old does a bicycle or part need to be before it's considered vintage?

If it's like with electronic equipment (my main turf) it would be when a
bike becomes rare and sought after, when the prices start noticeably
picking up from garage sale level.

I still ride an early 80's custom road bike. Gazelle frame, Shimano 600
and the usual stuff that was considered top notch back then. Today it
would not be considered vintage but outdated. Friction shifters anyone?
But I keep riding it because it's still in very good condition. I just
put new Gatorksin tires on it and the chain is at 0.8% stretch so it'll
soon need a new one.

I'd buy a new road bike if I was a serious road bike rider but I found
that mountain biking is more my kind of cycling so I invested in a new
Fuji Outland instead.

HOw old does a bicycle or part need to be before it's considered antique?

When museum directors bang down your door for it :-)

I don't think 2001 stuff qualifies as either vintage or antique. Does it?

Highly doubtful, I'd consider that almost new.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 17th 14, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

DEFINITIVE list is he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic...lub_of_America

https://www.google.com/#q=AUTOMOBILE...ELESS+CARRIAGE

https://www.google.com/#q=COLLECTORS...cycles&spell=1

The bicycle tube's insides, the bicycle's perceived value, operates against longevity outside narrow environmental, class/income levels.

There's the old barn in arid country but how would a bicycle get there ?

The old car scene is dominated by V-12's, celebrity associations...Beatty the animal trainer drove Pierce Arrows...OK how many have touched a P-A ?

The old old cars are tin on wood frames. Were tin on...

Fleetwood ? Mac ? Fleetwood PA had a serious hardwood forest. HAD a...

There were no 4 cylinder Curtiss motorcycles but there is an engine or two. Rusted tubes. War recycling.

I am stunned by Leno's electric car.

My 544 Volvo Bruno and I are North America's last surviving 544 couple. Since 1970. Bruno was disassembled refinished 3 times. Now resting in a garage at 375000 miles, waiting for retirement. Damn, I missed the last SP 44's by 4 months.

Forgive me for writing abt that again by I'm impressed by it.

Merely 'collectible' but of interest in design longevity origin and a Lemans class win in stock sedan.

Interesting about bicycles....outstanding simplicity, beauty, the song of the frame, balance, color...isn't tied to age as that impression can be with an 4 wheel vehicle...

With the exception of the Mexican Lincoln....

Old June 17th 14, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

CLASSIC 1949 Indian

http://images.classiccars.com/previe...Motorcycle.jpg
Old June 17th 14, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

max ! $600

http://astraone.com/wp-content/uploa...mbat-15201.jpg
Old June 17th 14, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://www.nostalgic.net/1951monark-...estone-holiday