Sge/Era of Norco Montery with...

Old June 23rd 14, 05:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Sge/Era of Norco Montery with...

Went for a nice ride yesterday. On the way back
I saw a Norco Monterey for sale for $10.00 so I bought it to convert to a single speed for a friend of mine.

Suntour VG steel cage rear derailleur, Suntour Power Ratchet downtube shifters. Suntour 5 speed freewheel with straight teeth. Suzue hubs with 27" Araya alloy rims. Drilled Dia Compe non-aero brake levers and Dia compe 500 brake calipers.

Frame is burgundy colour with gold lug lining.and made in Japan. No brazeons except for the rear derailleur cable housing stop which is on top of the chainstay not under it. No bottle mounts either.

I figure it might be late 1970's or early 1980's. Does that sound right?

It's already converted to a single speed. I did that last night. It now has straight bars.

Thanks and cheers.
Old June 23rd 14, 12:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thanks and cheers.....

I cannot believe you butchered this bike

Old June 23rd 14, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 23/06/14 14:53, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Went for a nice ride yesterday. On the way back
I saw a Norco Monterey for sale for $10.00 so I bought it to convert to a single speed for a friend of mine.

Suntour VG steel cage rear derailleur, Suntour Power Ratchet downtube shifters. Suntour 5 speed freewheel with straight teeth. Suzue hubs with 27" Araya alloy rims. Drilled Dia Compe non-aero brake levers and Dia compe 500 brake calipers.

Frame is burgundy colour with gold lug lining.and made in Japan. No brazeons except for the rear derailleur cable housing stop which is on top of the chainstay not under it. No bottle mounts either.

I figure it might be late 1970's or early 1980's. Does that sound right?

I'd guess so.

It's already converted to a single speed. I did that last night. It now has straight bars.

I still haven't discovered the magic of straight bars. To me, less
ability to vary hand and arm orientation is a backward step. The clue
came when MTB bars suddenly got bar ends. It was obvious that straight
bars were missing something that people wanted.

--
JS

Old June 23rd 14, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, June 23, 2014 6:04:20 PM UTC-4, James wrote:
[...]

I too very much prefer drop bars but the person I assmebled/converted this bicycle for finds drop baars too hard - uncomfortable to use.

Cheers
Old June 23rd 14, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/23/2014 5:04 PM, James wrote:
[...]

Not magic, it's just that people vary. A lot.

We do as many switches to drop bars as switches to flat bars.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/nirofla2.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 23rd 14, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

############################3
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

PHOTO PLUS...so is there a relationship between tummy conditions and straight or drop bars ?

http://goo.gl/zEmMG1

Old June 23rd 14, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, June 23, 2014 6:19:00 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Hey there Andrew.

How old do you think that Norco Monterey is?

Cheers
Old June 24th 14, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Monday, June 23, 2014 3:04:20 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 23/06/14 14:53, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Went for a nice ride yesterday. On the way back
I saw a Norco Monterey for sale for $10.00 so I bought it to convert to a single speed for a friend of mine.

Suntour VG steel cage rear derailleur, Suntour Power Ratchet downtube shifters. Suntour 5 speed freewheel with straight teeth. Suzue hubs with 27" Araya alloy rims. Drilled Dia Compe non-aero brake levers and Dia compe 500 brake calipers.

Frame is burgundy colour with gold lug lining.and made in Japan. No brazeons except for the rear derailleur cable housing stop which is on top of the chainstay not under it. No bottle mounts either.

I figure it might be late 1970's or early 1980's. Does that sound right?

I'd guess so.

Yeah, the 5-speed cluster pretty much dates it in there somewhere.

It's already converted to a single speed. I did that last night. It now has straight bars.

That's some shop you're running there with that kind
of turnaround. You and Lou have it going on :-)

I still haven't discovered the magic of straight bars. To me, less
ability to vary hand and arm orientation is a backward step. The clue
came when MTB bars suddenly got bar ends. It was obvious that straight
bars were missing something that people wanted.

If the flat bars are no wider than drop bars, then
I agree; but I find drop bars too narrow for getting
really radical. I do like some bend, though.
Old June 24th 14, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...-japanese.html

really feEl badly abt the linseed on my Raleigh...

NORCO'S HALWAY DWON PAGE...
Old June 24th 14, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, June 22, 2014 9:53:49 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Went for a nice ride yesterday. On the way back

I saw a Norco Monterey for sale for $10.00 so I bought it to convert to a single speed for a friend of mine.

Suntour VG steel cage rear derailleur, Suntour Power Ratchet downtube shifters. Suntour 5 speed freewheel with straight teeth. Suzue hubs with 27" Araya alloy rims. Drilled Dia Compe non-aero brake levers and Dia compe 500 brake calipers.

Frame is burgundy colour with gold lug lining.and made in Japan. No brazeons except for the rear derailleur cable housing stop which is on top of the chainstay not under it. No bottle mounts either.

I figure it might be late 1970's or early 1980's. Does that sound right?

It's already converted to a single speed. I did that last night. It now has straight bars.

Thanks and cheers.

Probably around 1980. What kind of crank?

-- Jay Beattie.

Norco vs. Author Stench General 9 February 9th 06 05:43 PM
Norco vs. Author Stench Mountain Biking 2 February 6th 06 06:30 PM
has anyone seen the norco M-uni Radical Reed Unicycling 14 August 2nd 05 05:49 PM
FS Norco + Jamis Adrian Marketplace 0 December 9th 04 04:21 AM
Got My Norco Slacker Mountain Biking 2 July 15th 03 11:14 AM