No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?

Old July 8th 16, 10:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Doe[_3_]

Default No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?

AMuzi wrote:

John Doe wrote:
sms wrote:
John Doe wrote:

That's inconvenient.

That means we have to throw money at China for 3/8" 26 TPI axle
material just to get an axle that's not bent?

My thread measuring tool doesn't even include 26 TPI. It goes from
24 to 27 TPI. The only threaded rod I see available here in the USA
is 24 TPI.

You can find some 3/8" 26 TPI axles on eBay. Not sure if they are
the length you are looking for. I.e.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/122017856161. But finding a local bike
shop with any is going to be tough.

Yes 3/8" 26 TPI axles are easy to find on fleaBay. I ordered a couple
of them as a workaround.

To fix all of the bent axles by just buying some threaded rod and
cutting it to size would be easy and a lot cheaper, if only 26 TPI
threaded rod were available in the USA. Buying threaded rod would be
great since that would provide a choice between different types of
steel.

Maybe someday I will be able to convert to some 24 TPI threaded rod
axle, but I'm not familiar enough with the equipment to figure it out
right now.

A short visit to any competent LBS which commonly services bicycles
would benefit you greatly. It's almost certainly an m9.5x1.0 solid
axle (from your various descriptions) which may be replaced by a
name-brand m10x1 axle set for roughly $10~$20.

So all of the axle rod on eBay and Amazon sold as 26 TPI is actually
metric rod at one thread per millimeter.

Thanks.

--

Usual admonitions- change the bearings as well, cleanliness matters,
fill with grease to the depth of the bearing, adjust as free as

Old July 8th 16, 01:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/8/2016 4:40 AM, John Doe wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

John Doe wrote:
sms wrote:
John Doe wrote:

[...]

I am not an expert on threaded rod or hardware on ebay
generally.

OP never mentioned which hub he has (I asked twice) but I
think I know something about bicycle parts.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 8th 16, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

AMuzi wrote:
:On 7/8/2016 4:40 AM, John Doe wrote:
: AMuzi wrote:
:
: John Doe wrote:
: sms wrote:
: John Doe wrote:
:
: That's inconvenient.
:
[...]

The OP thinks bike parts are too expensive, and wishes to break his
bike better by using **** from the hardware store.

--
sig 52
Old July 8th 16, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 5:48:27 AM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
:On 7/8/2016 4:40 AM, John Doe wrote:
: AMuzi wrote:
:
: John Doe wrote:
: sms wrote:
: John Doe wrote:
:
: That's inconvenient.
:
[...]

The simple, split the difference approach would be to get a bunch of 10X1 rod and some new cones. If the axles are shot and need replacing, the cones are probably shot, too. Then hack away. And when that doesn't work, at least he'll have the right cones. I'm sure you can buy bags of cones from China for like a dollar.

BTW, why would someone need bulk axles? Is John Doe maintaining a BMX fleet?

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 8th 16, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,free.usenet,free.spam
John Doe[_3_]

Anybody who thinks that simply cutting a threaded rod in order to
replace an axle is rocket science should not be in a technical help
group for hardware issues.

But seriously. This reply is just clueless...

From: David Scheidt dscheidt panix.com
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 12:48:26 +0000 (UTC)

AMuzi am yellowjersey.org wrote:
:On 7/8/2016 4:40 AM, John Doe wrote:
: AMuzi am yellowjersey.org wrote:
:
: John Doe wrote:
: sms scharf.steven geemail.com wrote:
: John Doe wrote:
:
: That's inconvenient.
:

Old July 9th 16, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Doe[_3_]

jbeattie wrote:

AMuzi wrote: John Doe wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
John Doe wrote:
sms wrote:
John Doe wrote:

[...]

Not sure about the price of cones, but the idea behind replacing an axle
is very simple. An axle is simply a threaded rod cut to a certain
length. Therefore, simply replacing that threaded rod with a threaded
rod is a no-brainer if you can find the correct diameter and thread
pitch threaded rod. Everybody knows how to use a rotary tool for the
cutting.

Buying threaded rod would be good for a selection of steel types, and
then being able to cut the rod to any length, but... only if a foot or
two of the threaded rod from the hardware supplier like McMaster Carr
here in the USA is less expensive than buying the equivalent precut
axles in whatever configuration/kit off of eBay or Amazon.

At first glance, finely threaded metric rod appears to be more expensive
at McMaster Carr. Don't know about its hardness versus the easily bent
crap from China.

BTW, why would someone need bulk axles? Is John Doe maintaining a BMX
fleet?

That idea is a figment of your imagination.
Old July 9th 16, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

imagination....

NO. The approach used here by the OP is for a racer on new parts replacing new parts with newer parts new OIL...maybe s serious tourer but that's a stretch.

what the OP has is a worn out mechanism.

threaded rods via M Carr are for specific purposes

LIKE BICYCLE AXLES , but not from M Carr whom is not selling bicycle axles, WHEELS MFG sells bicycle axles.

If Wheels isnot selling the Eng standad then move into a metric conversion.

This is your best path with the best materials.

Its all nickel n dime whats the problem ? Good stuff at low costs...this is the bottom line here.

IHS

From: David Scheidt dscheidt panix.com
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 12:48:26 +0000 (UTC)

: John Doe wrote:
: sms scharf.steven geemail.com wrote:
: John Doe wrote:
:
: That's inconvenient.
:

Old July 9th 16, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

sig 52

//////////////////////////

reads like J is taking Creative Writing
Old July 9th 16, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 7/8/2016 7:21 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 5:48:27 AM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:

snip

The simple, split the difference approach would be to get a bunch of 10X1 rod and some new cones. If the axles are shot and need replacing, the cones are probably shot, too. Then hack away. And when that doesn't work, at least he'll have the right cones. I'm sure you can buy bags of cones from China for like a dollar.

BTW, why would someone need bulk axles? Is John Doe maintaining a BMX fleet?

Besides finding threaded rod with the proper diameter and thread pitch,
you also have to ensure that it isn't just made from mild steel, like
the threaded rod normally sold at hardware stores. McMaster sells grade
8 and grade 12.9. $65.52 for one meter. Then you have to be able to cut
such hard steel.

There are times when using commodity hardware on a bicycle makes sense,
and times when it makes no sense.