Torpedo 5-speed pulley photo

Old July 10th 16, 07:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default Torpedo 5-speed pulley photo

I said a couple of posts back I'd submit
a picture of this little interesting thing.
Well here it is.

The bolt isn't the original one but an M5.
Usually there is a bolt which has a very
slightly curved head, then a "boxed shank" and
only then threads. There is nothing to grip but
that is just the beginning of this
bolt's problems.

This type of bolt is now and then found here
and there (for example to hold the rack and
fender stays, an sometimes the saddle pipe
clamp tho then it is much bigger of course) -
anyway those bolts are for some reason almost
always visibly bent! I don't know why but so
far I have replaced them with ordinary hexes...

The nut is the original one which is of the
type that is a combination of a pipe and nut,
the nut part wider as to not fall thru the
hole itself...

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/photo...eed-pulley.png

Keep it up

- so far: 56 Blogomatic articles -
Old July 10th 16, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Any M5 stainless bolt and nut could replace that.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 10th 16, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

AMuzi writes:

Any M5 stainless bolt and nut could
replace that.

It remains a mystery why the original ones are
almost invariably slightly bent as there is no
weight on the clamp. Some of those bikes have
been around for decades tho...

- so far: 56 Blogomatic articles -
Old July 10th 16, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/10/2016 9:28 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi writes:

Any M5 stainless bolt and nut could
replace that.

It remains a mystery why the original ones are
almost invariably slightly bent as there is no
weight on the clamp. Some of those bikes have
been around for decades tho...

(sorry I top posted. oops)
The faces of teh clamp are not parallel so under torque the
bolt deforms as it's tightened. small problem compared to:

http://seekingalpha.com/news/3192338...bsea-oil-wells

bicycle content:
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/B...il-4555354.php

those are one-inch bolts. Then there are the big ones:
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_236219...ate-metallurgy

Old July 11th 16, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 08:51:56 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

[...]

I've standardized "bicycle bolts" to stainless socket head (allen
head) bolts. The don't rust, they look all right and I only need 4
allen wenches to work on my bicycle. Hardly necessary but I detest
nasty old, rusty screws.

I'm still wondering about the clamp on pulleys. They look like
overkill unless the shift gear has an unusual strong spring.
5,7,9,etc., derailers have used a metal guide for years, apparently
without problems.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 11th 16, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

John B. writes:

I've standardized "bicycle bolts" to
stainless socket head (allen head) bolts.
The don't rust, they look all right and
I only need 4 allen wenches to work on my
bicycle. Hardly necessary but I detest nasty
old, rusty screws.

Exactly. Often if you clean the area of the
bolts and nuts and replace them this makes for
a whole new bike.

I also standardize but to hex bolts (M5s
mostly) because they are pull- and holdable
from the sides as well as the front, and this
makes it very seldom they are so entrapped you
have to remove something else to get to them.

I'm still wondering about the clamp on
pulleys. They look like overkill unless the
shift gear has an unusual strong spring.
5,7,9,etc., derailers have used a metal guide
for years, apparently without problems.

You can try pulling the small chain and rod out
of the hub with your hand, this I think
requires more power so the wheels do help.

- so far: 56 Blogomatic articles -
Old July 11th 16, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

AMuzi writes:

Any M5 stainless bolt and nut could
replace that.

It remains a mystery why the original ones are
almost invariably slightly bent as there is no
weight on the clamp. Some of those bikes have
been around for decades tho...

(sorry I top posted. oops)
The faces of teh clamp are not parallel so under torque the
bolt deforms as it's tightened. small problem compared to:

http://seekingalpha.com/news/3192338...bsea-oil-wells

bicycle content:
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/B...il-4555354.php

those are one-inch bolts. Then there are the big ones:
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_236219...ate-metallurgy

I was surprised to read that about bolts holding up bridges.

I had worked mainly for either the Air Force or the Oil Industry and
both are pretty rigorous about specifications. The Oil companies even
specified the thickness of the required paint, coat by coat, on an,
above the ground, pipeline, on one contract.
--
cheers,

John B.