randonneur

Old May 25th 18, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default randonneur

Ralph Barone writes:

Sounds like he wants my bike. Surly Long Haul
Trucker. Front and rear racks and fenders.
Dynamo hub and lights. Cross levers so you can brake
while upright. Long wheelbase so your shoes don't
clip your panniers. CroMo frame. 36 spoke wheels.
Mountain gearing for long hills while carrying 50
lbs of baggage. 3 water bottle mounts on the frame.

That's exactly right! I want Ralph's bike!

--
underground experts exiled
Old May 25th 18, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Ralph Barone writes:

Cross levers so you can brake while upright.

OK, so they are called cross levers. Very practical
indeed!

The "Fuji Touring Road Bike 2018" comes with
"Shimano T4010 linear pull" with
"Tektro RL520" braker levers.

Are there cross levers readily available for that (the
Tektros) or are you supposed to hack that
yourself somehow?

--
underground experts exiled
Old May 25th 18, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 10:47:48 AM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Ralph Barone writes:

Sounds like he wants my bike. Surly Long Haul
Trucker. Front and rear racks and fenders.
Dynamo hub and lights. Cross levers so you can brake
while upright. Long wheelbase so your shoes don't
clip your panniers. CroMo frame. 36 spoke wheels.
Mountain gearing for long hills while carrying 50
lbs of baggage. 3 water bottle mounts on the frame.

That's exactly right! I want Ralph's bike!

Personally, I think the Surly Fog Cutter is neat. Sportier, with disc mounts and can handle big tires. http://www.somafab.com/archives/prod...tter-frame-set The LHT is popular, too, but any Surly frame is going to cost you $500 USD and will need to be built-up.
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=92139

Touring bikes are common as fleas. Even the Trek 520 fits the bill. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black Up to 44C without mudguards. You would have to add CX levers and a dyno light.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 25th 18, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/25/2018 1:58 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Ralph Barone writes:

Cross levers so you can brake while upright.

OK, so they are called cross levers. Very practical
indeed!

The "Fuji Touring Road Bike 2018" comes with
"Shimano T4010 linear pull" with
"Tektro RL520" braker levers.

Are there cross levers readily available for that (the
Tektros) or are you supposed to hack that
yourself somehow?

I installed in line brake levers on the two bikes my wife and I just
used for our grocery run.
https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...rs-ns-inl-base

Very inexpensive and easy to install.

Looks like Nashbar has a big sale on bikes in progress.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 25th 18, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/23/2018 1:25 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
sms writes:

[1] https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/...andonneur-2017

Yes, the Fahrradmanufaktur is probably your best bet.

Yep, I think it looks great, too expansive but I'll
put in the extra effort to maybe get it to next
summer. Or the summer after that...

We have no Randonneur bicycles available in the
U.S..

Really? Why not?

You can buy a Randonneur frame in the U.S.:
http://www.somafab.com/archives/prod...neur-frame-set

A randonneur bicycle is not the same as a touring bicycle, though a
touring bicycle may be close enough for you. $529.99 for a frame and
fork is not bad. You should be able to build a complete bike for another
$1000 or so.
Old May 25th 18, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/25/2018 12:47 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Ralph Barone writes:

Sounds like he wants my bike. Surly Long Haul
Trucker. Front and rear racks and fenders.
Dynamo hub and lights. Cross levers so you can brake
while upright. Long wheelbase so your shoes don't
clip your panniers. CroMo frame. 36 spoke wheels.
Mountain gearing for long hills while carrying 50
lbs of baggage. 3 water bottle mounts on the frame.

That's exactly right! I want Ralph's bike!

Wait until your size is listed he
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Surly-Long-...AOSw3UZbB5p L

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 25th 18, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/25/2018 12:58 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Ralph Barone writes:

Cross levers so you can brake while upright.

OK, so they are called cross levers. Very practical
indeed!

The "Fuji Touring Road Bike 2018" comes with
"Shimano T4010 linear pull" with
"Tektro RL520" braker levers.

Are there cross levers readily available for that (the
Tektros) or are you supposed to hack that
yourself somehow?

Life must be hard in Sweden what with no bike shops and no
internet:

http://www.tektro.com/products.php?p=209#

Old May 25th 18, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

jbeattie writes:

Touring bikes are common as fleas. Even the Trek 520
fits the bill.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black
Up to 44C without mudguards. You would have to add
CX levers and a dyno light.

Great only too expensive, especially compared to the
Fuji and in particular the amount of money in
my wallet.

Why do they do randonneurs with 32 tires anyway?!

--
underground experts exiled
Old May 25th 18, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Ralph Barone writes:

Long wheelbase [...]

What is considered long in this case?

My road bike has it somewhere 41.5 inch, and my
military standard bike at 47 inches!

But 41-42" should do it, right?

--
underground experts exiled
Old May 25th 18, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

sms writes:

[1] https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/...andonneur-2017

Yes, the Fahrradmanufaktur is probably your best bet.

Yep, I think it looks great, too expansive but I'll put in the extra
effort to maybe get it to next summer. Or the summer after that...

We have no Randonneur bicycles available in the U.S..

Really? Why not?

No market for them.

Sure we have randonneuses available in the US, albeit generally by
custom order (just like the French- even there, there are have been few
true randonneuses available as mass market bikes that you could buy off
the showroom floor). I had one made by a local builder in 2015 and he
had made others before mine. There are a few builders in the US that
specialize in this sort of thing.

If you're talking about "bikes with fenders and lights," there are
options in many bike shops in the US. But "bike" in the US continues to
mean mostly MTBs or TdF type bikes.