Torque Wrenches

Old May 31st 05, 10:09 AM
question man

Default Torque Wrenches

All -

I've had a couple of things that I thought were tightened down
sufficiently work loose, so I think it's time to get some torque
wrenches.

BikeTools Etc lists 5 torque wrenches: (watch out - URL might wrap)
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...que%20Wrenches

The two Park tools look reasonable (based on price). Curiously,
Harris lists no torque wrenches.

Anybody have any other recommendations? The items that worked loose
were crank arm fixing bolts, and the lock ring for a cassette.

Thanks.

Phil
Old May 31st 05, 12:39 PM
Paul Kopit

On Tue, 31 May 2005 09:09:54 GMT, question man
wrote:

Anybody have any other recommendations? The items that worked loose
were crank arm fixing bolts, and the lock ring for a cassette.

I bought a clicker type torque wrench at a Harbor Freight store
locally that seems to work fine. It supposedly is withing 4% of
accuracy. I compared it to a Craftsman that my neighbor has and it
was on target. I'm sure it won't last a lifetime but I use it so
rarely.

I can envision not tightening a crankbolt enough. It's difficult to
see needing a torque wrench for a cassette lockring. You can almost
put them on hand tight and they stay put. More frequently, that part
is over tightened.
Old May 31st 05, 12:48 PM
Matt

BTW, has anyone noticed that if you google for "Torque Wrench",
Sheldon's site:
www.sheldonbrown.com/tork-grip.html
is the 2nd result? Way to go Sheldon! Has it helped sales?

Matt.

Old May 31st 05, 01:57 PM
colocraig

In the case of the cassette lockring, high torque is desireable. Campy
specs 37 ft-lb for theirs. It is not just a matter of it not coming
loose - the compression of the spacers and the index shifting
performance depends somewhat upon the torque used.

I have two Craftsman clicker type torque wrenches. One a half inch
drive for automotive stuff and higher torque bike applications. The
other is a 3/8 inch drive that goes up to 250 in-lb that is useful for
the lower torque bike applications. I've been happy with both of them.

Old May 31st 05, 03:54 PM
John Everett

wrote:

Anybody have any other recommendations? The items that worked loose
were crank arm fixing bolts, and the lock ring for a cassette.

For years and years I've been using a Craftsman beam type torque
wrench, probably manufactured by Sturdevant. I bought it when I was
building race engines on a budget, and although I've always sort of
coveted a clicker type wrench I've never been so concerned about the
accuracy of my current wrench to do anything about it.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old May 31st 05, 04:24 PM
Kenny

I bought my torque wrench at Sears a couple of years ago. It cost me
$19.95. It's the same model sold by Park Tools only theirs was $39.95.
I think I've used it about 5 times. Each time for tightening down
cranks.

Old May 31st 05, 05:31 PM

In article ,
question man wrote:
The two Park tools look reasonable (based on price). Curiously,
Harris lists no torque wrenches.

The Park tools are very similar to what Sears sells for 40% less.
Old May 31st 05, 05:48 PM
Neil Brooks

question man wrote:

I've had a couple of things that I thought were tightened down
sufficiently work loose, so I think it's time to get some torque
wrenches.

Some things like Loctite. Others like grease. Beware the diff....

BikeTools Etc lists 5 torque wrenches: (watch out - URL might wrap)
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...que%20Wrenches

The two Park tools look reasonable (based on price). Curiously,
Harris lists no torque wrenches.

Not so curious, really. Sheldon doesn't believe in 'em for bicycles.

Anybody have any other recommendations? The items that worked loose
were crank arm fixing bolts, and the lock ring for a cassette.

I went to Harbor Freight (or equivalent) and bought a $20, 1/4" drive
click-type and attachments. Works just fine. Well enough, anyway, to
tell me that *my* arm is *anything but* finely calibrated....

A boatload of them -- all ranges of drive and inch(foot)-lbs capacity
-- can be found he http://snipurl.com/f9kp
Old June 1st 05, 12:42 AM

Got mine at sears for $22.95 on sale, seems to work ok.

nc

Old June 1st 05, 03:37 AM
question man

On Tue, 31 May 2005 16:48:41 GMT, Neil Brooks wrote:

question man wrote:

I've had a couple of things that I thought were tightened down
sufficiently work loose, so I think it's time to get some torque
wrenches.

Some things like Loctite. Others like grease. Beware the diff....

is this similar to, "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a
banana"?

BikeTools Etc lists 5 torque wrenches: (watch out - URL might wrap)
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...que%20Wrenches

The two Park tools look reasonable (based on price). Curiously,
Harris lists no torque wrenches.

Not so curious, really. Sheldon doesn't believe in 'em for bicycles.

Anybody have any other recommendations? The items that worked loose
were crank arm fixing bolts, and the lock ring for a cassette.

I went to Harbor Freight (or equivalent) and bought a $20, 1/4" drive
click-type and attachments. Works just fine. Well enough, anyway, to
tell me that *my* arm is *anything but* finely calibrated....

Based on all the responses, sounds like a trip to Sears is in order.
Thanks!

Phil

Easton EA70 stem AC Techniques 10 November 17th 04 07:00 AM
Torque wrenches Paul Davis Techniques 123 April 18th 04 06:10 AM
Torque Concept versus Torque Measurement Calvin Jones Techniques 2 April 8th 04 05:23 PM
Torque Wrenches MSeries UK 15 February 17th 04 12:13 AM
Recommended torque wrenches? Kovie Techniques 8 November 1st 03 06:47 PM