Nobody knows about RR

Old June 16th 05, 01:07 AM
Werehatrack

Default Nobody knows about RR

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 00:21:55 +0200, "Ivar Hesselager"
wrote:

I trust, that if mr Walde knew of ane measurable difference, he would be
willing to tell me about it. Therefore he and Continental Tires don't know
of a difference. And if they don't know, most likely nobody knows. I find
that surprising and interesting.

It is not a given that any tire company representative's failure to be
forthcoming with actual test data indicates that they don't know.
Several alternate analyses are just as likely, among them very
possibly that they know precisely what the answers would be, but that
their own products would not be shown in a beneficial light by those
numbers. (I will posit that it's very likely that every maker would
have tires whose performace in such testing is at both ends of the
spectrum as well as all across the middle, and there also may be
sample variation known which renders the data less than useful.) It's
equally likely that the testing is done only infrequently and not very
comprehensively, in which case it's very possible that what they could
provide would not be currently informative. Perhaps most likely of
all, however, is the possibility that the company's management
considers such data proprietary and does not permit it to be shared.

It is obvious that if you give priority to comfort and tracking, you
should prefer af 25 mm to a 23 mm.

But even if you give priority to speed, the 25 mm tire appears to be the
better choice. But nobody knows.

Or, more probably, those who know are not forthcoming with the data.
For a specialty product with relatively low production and significant
price pressure, it would amaze me if they were spending the time in
product evaluation that would be required in order to know how their
tire compared to all of its principal competitors. Even if they did,
the data would be stale as soon as any significant percentage of the
competition changed its tech specs or model designations, making the
collected data largely irrelevant. And, last but not least, there may
not be as much variance in the results for road tires (where it would
matter most) as might be expected. It's quite possible that the
people who have the data (however much of it there is) are reticent
about sharing it because it primarily reveals a lack of important
differentiation in the products...and doesn't always show that theirs
is the best. I doubt that there is any tire maker whose products
*always* earn the highest marks in rolling resistance testing, so the
expected tendency would be to say little about the subject for any
product unless the advatange for a given tire was remarkable against
all potential competitors...and somehow, I doubt that this is going to
be the case.

Thus far, you have queried precisely one maker; it is premature to
draw the conclusion that *nobody knows" based on one non-response, and
even if all possible responses ended up being essentially the same as
the one collected, it would still not prove a lack of knowledge, but
rather only a lack of publicly released data.

Here is an uncovered field for an engineer student or for a bicycle
magazine to look in to.

One can find research grants with less justification, certainly! I
suspect, though, that the end result would be a finding that there's
less difference between the various tires than some might expect.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old June 16th 05, 02:29 AM
Benjamin Lewis

David L. Johnson wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:15:01 +0100, David Damerell wrote:

No, it's not. If you want to maximise speed, you should use in both
tyres the maximum pressure that does not cause the increase in RR we see
with track-style pressures (eg 170psi),

Um, what increase in RR is that?

I haven't seen any data anywhere, but it makes intuitive sense to me that
if the tire is so hard that road bumps significantly increase vibrations in
bike and rider, that this is energy being wasted.

produce an intolerably hard ride; that will be equal in both cases and
the 25mm tyre will have lower RR.

I don't think either of those conclusions are true. For one thing, a
25mm tire may reach blow-off pressures before it is "intolerably hard",
and at that pressure I would assume the RR of the two sizes would be
close to the same.

Do blow-off pressures vary with tire width? How and why?

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber
Old June 16th 05, 02:59 AM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:29:30 -0700, Benjamin Lewis
wrote:

David L. Johnson wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:15:01 +0100, David Damerell wrote:

No, it's not. If you want to maximise speed, you should use in both
tyres the maximum pressure that does not cause the increase in RR we see
with track-style pressures (eg 170psi),

Um, what increase in RR is that?

I haven't seen any data anywhere, but it makes intuitive sense to me that
if the tire is so hard that road bumps significantly increase vibrations in
bike and rider, that this is energy being wasted.

[snip]

Dear Benjamin,

Like you, I haven't seen actual data about increasing
pressure eventually causing rock-hard tires slow down becaue
they bounce like kangaroos.

But the theory is explained (without marsupials) in Lennard
Zinn's reply to Tom he

http://www.ottawabicycleclub.ca/phpB...pic.php?t=137&

Zinn gaves no details or data, but he did say that he "saw
results" and was "told of similar results":

"Years ago, for example, I saw results like this at the
Continental tire factory. I was told of similar results at a
number of other tire factories I have visited."

Like Ivar, of course, I yearn for oodles of details.

Carl Fogel
Old June 16th 05, 03:23 PM
David Damerell

Quoting Ivar Hesselager :
skrev:
Why would you use a lower pressure in the 25mm tyre if the aim is to
maximise speed?

Because overinflated tires are not faster: they jump too much, and have
too little grip.

What makes you suppose this limit varies with width?

The ideal comparison would be between the two sizes of tires, each with
their ideal pressure (for road quality and rider weight). This should be
reflected in their "recommended pressure" - not in the same pressure.

There cannot be any single recommended or ideal pressure when riders have
different desires vis-a-vis comfort and speed.
--
David Damerell flcl?
Today is Second Gouday, June.
Old June 17th 05, 12:07 AM
Ivar Hesselager

16 Jun 2005 15:23:47 +0100 (BST), David Damerell
skrev:

What makes you suppose this limit varies with width?

Because Sheldon says so, thats why!
Read this:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure

If that doesn't convince you, look at the side of a 23 mm tire and a 25 mm
tire. The max pressure will vary with width, and if there is a recommended
pressure there also, that will vary with width as well.

There cannot be any single recommended or ideal pressure when riders have
different desires vis-a-vis comfort and speed.

Right and wrong! We all have to look for our own ideal compromise if we
want to make the intelligent choise of width and the pressure in our
tires based on information about different road quality, different
weights, different preferences concerning comfort, traction and speed.
The ideal pressure that YOU will reach for YOUR tires will be higher for a
23 mm than for a 25 mm.
The recommended pressure is a place to start your personal investigation,
as it is the tire makers compromise for the same factors, but for an
imagined average cyclist, that much I can predict.
So if you want to make the ideal choice of tire width and pressure you
must make an calculation/assumption of which tire and which pressure will
give you the lower RR. Since it is impossible to ask you and me and
everybody else about our experiences and preferences, the practical way to
find the relevant data is to compare RR for the two tire sizes, each with
their recommended pressure. We already know that an overinflated 25 mm
tire has less rolling resistance than a correctly infalted 23 mm tire.
We still need to know the result of a comparisen of two (for an imagninary
average cyclist) correctly inflated tires.

Cheers
Ivar

Old June 17th 05, 07:49 AM

See: http://www.zipp.com

They have done extensive testing in windtunnels. Neither exhaustive
nor definitive, windtunnels are like that, Zipp have come to
conclusions that bear witness to a multiplicity. Tests have confirmed
that RR is not determinative but aerodynamics is.

Zipp have analysed the data between test of differing sized tyres which
results in conclusions of the First Order. The First Order in play is
the "chord length" effect a larger dia tyre exerts upon a rim profile.
Zipp have data which maps to the results of aerodynamic wings.
Bottomline takeaway is that a larger dia tyre may destroy the
aerodynamic advantage of a wheel. Further, Zipp show that airplane
wing mfg'r teach that "where" along the length of a foil the widest
(thickest) chord occurs affects aerodynamic efficiency. In the case of
a wider tyre for a given rim, Zipp detail moving the widest chord point
back (away from the rim edge) to achieve max. efficiency. Tire width
relative to rim width and the point of max. chord width are the
variables of First Order magnitude.

Its an interesting take on the 25 .vs. 23 tyre size debate...
-r

Old June 17th 05, 01:34 PM
David Damerell

Quoting Ivar Hesselager :
skrev:
What makes you suppose this limit varies with width?

Because Sheldon says so, thats why!
Read this:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure

I have, many times. That does not say that the point at which there is an
increase in RR or loss in traction from overinflation - the limit I am
asking about - varies with width.

[And, even if it did, Sheldon has no more done any research there than you
or I.]

If that doesn't convince you, look at the side of a 23 mm tire and a 25 mm
tire. The max pressure will vary with width, and if there is a recommended
pressure there also, that will vary with width as well.

Yes. The maximum pressure, however, is concerned with blowoff, not with
the limit I am asking about.

So, why do you suppose that limit varies with width?

There cannot be any single recommended or ideal pressure when riders have
different desires vis-a-vis comfort and speed.

Right and wrong!

Not wrong at all. How is that wrong? Manifestly I cannot make a sensible
recommendation to Joe Racer who wants to go as fast as possible and to Bob
Tourist who wants as much comfort as won't give him pinch flats.

The ideal pressure that YOU will reach for YOUR tires will be higher for a
23 mm than for a 25 mm.

No, it won't. Not at all. I pump up my tyres as much as doesn't actually
rattle my nuts on bad tarmac, because that way when I forget to do it for
a few weeks I don't get pinch flats. That's the same pressure in both
widths of tyre.

The same would apply to someone who wants to minimise RR without suffering
what is to them unacceptable discomfort. Same pressure never mind the
width.

their recommended pressure. We already know that an overinflated 25 mm
tire has less rolling resistance than a correctly infalted 23 mm tire.
We still need to know the result of a comparisen of two (for an imagninary
average cyclist) correctly inflated tires.

This is just returning to the assumption that the manufacturer's
recommended pressure, which we know is basically bogus, is "correct".

If a 23 and 25mm tyre are at the same pressure, the pressure which
produces acceptable rider comfort, and that pressure is nowhere near
the blowoff point, why is one "overinflated" and the other "correctly"
inflated?
--
David Damerell flcl?
Today is Second Chedday, June - a weekend.
Old June 17th 05, 02:58 PM
James Scott

Conti doesn't know anything about RR...until/unless they have something
new to sell.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=...res/conti_tech

This article (really an ad for new Conti 25mm tubs with a Vectran
anti-puncture belt) actually has a little discussion of RR vs.
aerodynamics plus a nice visualization of contact patches for fat vs
narrow tires.

JLS

Old June 17th 05, 09:08 PM
Sheldon Brown

David Damerell wrote:

Quoting Ivar Hesselager :

skrev:

What makes you suppose this limit varies with width?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure

I have, many times. That does not say that the point at which there is an
increase in RR or loss in traction from overinflation - the limit I am
asking about - varies with width.

It's not a "point" it's a "region." where two curves intersect. Where
in the region is best for you will depend on your priorities. It is not
possible for anybody to specify a "perfect" tire pressure for a given
situation, any more than anybody can tell you what gear ratio you should
choose for a given piece of road.

You need to figure this out for yourself by experimentation.

[And, even if it did, Sheldon has no more done any research there than you
or I.]

No less either. Like many cyclists I have a lot of personal experience
riding different tires at different pressures on different surfaces, and
have been able to make some broad generalizations that may well be
useful to beginners, or to those who have been mindlessly following rote
specifications provided by tire makers.

If that doesn't convince you, look at the side of a 23 mm tire and a 25 mm
tire. The max pressure will vary with width, and if there is a recommended
pressure there also, that will vary with width as well.

This is less than a 10% difference in width, it would not be surprising
that the various attributes of different pressure settings don't clearly
favor one or t'other.

There cannot be any single recommended or ideal pressure when riders have
different desires vis-a-vis comfort and speed.

Right and wrong!

Not wrong at all. How is that wrong? Manifestly I cannot make a sensible
recommendation to Joe Racer who wants to go as fast as possible and to Bob
Tourist who wants as much comfort as won't give him pinch flats.

The ideal pressure that YOU will reach for YOUR tires will be higher for a
23 mm than for a 25 mm.

Theoretically this is true

No, it won't. Not at all. I pump up my tyres as much as doesn't actually
rattle my nuts on bad tarmac, because that way when I forget to do it for
a few weeks I don't get pinch flats. That's the same pressure in both
widths of tyre.

Considering all of the variables involved, the difference probably gets
lost in the noise.

If a 23 and 25mm tyre are at the same pressure, the pressure which
produces acceptable rider comfort, and that pressure is nowhere near
the blowoff point, why is one "overinflated" and the other "correctly"
inflated?

The same pressure _doesn't_ produce the same rider comfort, but the
difference is likely too subtle to evaluate with any precision.

Sheldon "Season To Taste" Brown
| To be good is noble; but to show others how to be good |
| is nobler and no trouble. --Mark Twain |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide