Performance brand tube failures

Old June 26th 05, 03:59 AM
kwalters

Default Performance brand tube failures

Yes; the ones I had were made by Kenda, who doesn't seem to
be able to perfect the stem/tube juncture, no matter what
label they are sold under.

Ken

wrote:
Anyone been having trouble with Performance Brand tubes failing at the
valve stem? My buddy has had at least 4 of them recently that have
failed right at the base of the stem. We checked the hole in the rim
for sharp edges, but didn't find any problem.

Old June 27th 05, 07:16 PM
Bill Sornson

file the hole from the inside. work on it. its an acquired skill.
often, the barbs cannot be seen.

the server malfunctions

if only

Old July 31st 05, 01:33 AM
Jasper Janssen

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:27:28 -0400, "Bill" wrote:

One other possibility. I had a pair of Hutchinson tires a couple of years
ago that caused tube failures adjacent to the stem. The tire's bead area was
so large that the tube by the valve was suspended between the two beads and
could not seat against the bottom of the rim. Over time the tube would fail
at the unsupported area that was next to the valve.

Uhm.. what do you mean, bead area was so large? And what was special about
the valve area? Tires usually expand a little less at the valve area than
elsewhere, so it sounds to me like you were simply having a problem with
inappropriately sized tubes.

Jasper
Old July 31st 05, 06:12 AM

Jasper Janssen writes:

One other possibility. I had a pair of Hutchinson tires a couple
of years ago that caused tube failures adjacent to the stem. The
tire's bead area was so large that the tube by the valve was
suspended between the two beads and could not seat against the
bottom of the rim. Over time the tube would fail at the
unsupported area that was next to the valve.

Uhm... what do you mean, bead area was so large? And what was
special about the valve area? Tires usually expand a little less at
the valve area than elsewhere, so it sounds to me like you were
simply having a problem with inappropriately sized tubes.

Not having a clear description of the failure mode, determining its
cause is difficult. If this is about stem separation from the tube,
where the stem can be subsequently separated from the tube manually,
then it is a manufacturing flaw. We've been through this about a year
or so ago when this was a widespread failure. At the time the
faithful placed blame on the valve stem nut that was said to have
pulled the stem from the tube.

That this is not the case can easily be shown by screwing the valve
stem (knurled) nut on as tight as is manually possible before
inflation and noting that the nut is free and loose from internal
pressure, a force far larger than the nut can exert when tightened
with thumb and forefinger. The nut has its purpose but only for folks
who pump their tires with a frame fit pump with rigid valve chuck.

I suppose CO2 cartridges are the norm these days from what I read
here. These are not aided by valve stem nuts nor are extended valve
stems for riders of the aero persuasion.

Jobst Brandt

Redmond WA - Clinic: Optimal Personal Performance MarlonF Racing 2 September 20th 05 09:04 PM
Redmond WA - Clinic: Optimal Personal Performance MarlonF General 0 September 20th 05 02:31 AM
PERFORMANCE TUBES??? Jay K Techniques 8 May 14th 05 02:21 PM
Performance Bike still SUX SaintDan General 43 December 11th 03 06:01 AM
Performance Bike still SUX SaintDan Marketplace 35 December 11th 03 06:01 AM