Help Me Choose A Headlight

Old May 2nd 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Prisoner at War

Default Help Me Choose A Headlight

I'm wondering whether to get the Light & Motion ARC Li-Ion Ultra HID
or the NiteRider Moab HID/LED. They're both the same price but the
NiteRider burns over 50% longer at the same highest level of
brightness (if I'm reading the specs right -- in which case I'm
surprised Light & Motion haven't lowered their price at all; also, I'm
not sure what it means for the NiteRider to be "HID/LED" [according to
performancebike.com, anyway])....

TIA, folks!

Old May 2nd 07, 07:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Bill

Prisoner at War wrote:
I'm wondering whether to get the Light & Motion ARC Li-Ion Ultra HID
or the NiteRider Moab HID/LED. They're both the same price but the
NiteRider burns over 50% longer at the same highest level of
brightness (if I'm reading the specs right -- in which case I'm
surprised Light & Motion haven't lowered their price at all; also, I'm
not sure what it means for the NiteRider to be "HID/LED" [according to
performancebike.com, anyway])....

I hope that means either HID or LED because those are two different worlds.
HID is a High Intensity Discharge lamp that is bright.
LED is a Light Emitting Diode that is pretty good too.
The HID should be more expensive due to the high voltage drive
electronics but either is more reliable than a hot filament going over
the road.
Bill Baka

TIA, folks!

Old May 2nd 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Prisoner at War

On May 2, 2:42 am, Bill wrote:

I hope that means either HID or LED because those are two different worlds.
HID is a High Intensity Discharge lamp that is bright.
LED is a Light Emitting Diode that is pretty good too.
The HID should be more expensive due to the high voltage drive
electronics but either is more reliable than a hot filament going over
the road.
Bill Baka

Nah, performancebike.com really has it listed as "HID/LED"...I'm
chalking it up to a typo.

Not sure what "a hot filament going over the road" means with respect
to reliability, though....

Old May 2nd 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Bill

Prisoner at War wrote:
On May 2, 2:42 am, Bill wrote:

I hope that means either HID or LED because those are two different worlds.
HID is a High Intensity Discharge lamp that is bright.
LED is a Light Emitting Diode that is pretty good too.
The HID should be more expensive due to the high voltage drive
electronics but either is more reliable than a hot filament going over
the road.
Bill Baka

Nah, performancebike.com really has it listed as "HID/LED"...I'm
chalking it up to a typo.

Not sure what "a hot filament going over the road" means with respect
to reliability, though....

The Tungsten is more prone to breaking from the vibration in a bike than
in a car, and that is more than in a house light. Filaments burn out in
a supernova, LEDs may dim over years, and HIDs may dim just a bit after
a bunch of years.
Three different types of light.
Bill Baka
Old May 2nd 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
SMS

Bill wrote:

The Tungsten is more prone to breaking from the vibration in a bike than
in a car, and that is more than in a house light. Filaments burn out in
a supernova, LEDs may dim over years, and HIDs may dim just a bit after
a bunch of years.
Three different types of light.

Personally, I'd rather over-voltage a quartz-halogen lamp to achieve the
illumination level of HID, and carry a spare bulb for when it burns out
in that supernova.

For example, the TrailTech MR11 size HID is rated at 500 lumens and
draws 13 watts, and costs $115. I can buy a set of two MR16 housings, 10
watt lamps (spot and flood), and can over voltage by 10% and be at over
500 lumens, for a lot less money. If I use only one at a time, the power
consumption is actually a bit less than the HID.

All this assumes that I actually need that much illumination. Personally
I think that a lot of people are going way overboard on lighting. While
it's true that a 2.4-3 watt dynamo powered lamp isn't going to provide
sufficient illumination in most situations, there are fine
quartz-halogen or xenon rechargaeable systems available for well under
$100 that provide more than adequate illumination.

Old May 2nd 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Clive George

"SMS" wrote in message

While it's true that a 2.4-3 watt dynamo powered lamp isn't going to
provide sufficient illumination in most situations

Oh, you were doing so well until you said that...

If you'd only put suitable caveats around your statements, such as SMS
thinks the 2.4-3W lamps are insufficient, but there are an awful lot of
people out there who find them perfectly adequate. I'm just about to go for
a ride using mine on unlit rural roads. I'll probably get to about 40mph...

cheers,
clive

Old May 2nd 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
SMS

SMS wrote:

For example, the TrailTech MR11 size HID is rated at 500 lumens and
draws 13 watts, and costs $115. I can buy a set of two MR16 housings, 10
watt lamps (spot and flood), and can over voltage by 10% and be at over
500 lumens, for a lot less money. If I use only one at a time, the power
consumption is actually a bit less than the HID.

Following up on my own post, I notice that TrailTech sells a complete
single lamp 13W/500 lumens HID system, including bar clamp that will fit
7/8" through 1.25" bars, a helmet mount, 13.2V/3.7AH NiMH battery
(49WH), and charger, for $200. This battery should run the light for
more than three hours.

See page 47 of "http://trailtech.net/media/catalog/TT-CAT-07_lowres.pdf"
Old May 3rd 07, 06:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Bill

SMS wrote:
Bill wrote:

The Tungsten is more prone to breaking from the vibration in a bike
than in a car, and that is more than in a house light. Filaments burn
out in a supernova, LEDs may dim over years, and HIDs may dim just a
bit after a bunch of years.
Three different types of light.

Personally, I'd rather over-voltage a quartz-halogen lamp to achieve the
illumination level of HID, and carry a spare bulb for when it burns out
in that supernova.

That works only if you have a sanitary, well clean, cloth to change the
bulb. The Quartz will shatter from the skin oils if you touch it.

For example, the TrailTech MR11 size HID is rated at 500 lumens and
draws 13 watts, and costs $115. I can buy a set of two MR16 housings, 10
watt lamps (spot and flood), and can over voltage by 10% and be at over
500 lumens, for a lot less money. If I use only one at a time, the power
consumption is actually a bit less than the HID.

All this assumes that I actually need that much illumination. Personally
I think that a lot of people are going way overboard on lighting. While
it's true that a 2.4-3 watt dynamo powered lamp isn't going to provide
sufficient illumination in most situations, there are fine
quartz-halogen or xenon rechargaeable systems available for well under
$100 that provide more than adequate illumination.

Since I don't blast through unknown territory at 25 MPH at night my main
use is for cars to see me. My LED Cateye gives me enough light for maybe
15 MPH safely. Faster and I might find a pothole the hard way. This may
sound a bit strange but my night vision is good enough that I can ride
trails by a full moon alone. That's a beneficial side effect of working
indoors with computers most of the time and wearing 10% pass polarized
UV blocker goggles in the day time.
Your needs may vary.
Bill Baka
Old May 2nd 07, 08:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Prisoner at War wrote:
I'm wondering whether to get the Light & Motion ARC Li-Ion Ultra HID
or the NiteRider Moab HID/LED. They're both the same price but the
NiteRider burns over 50% longer at the same highest level of
brightness (if I'm reading the specs right -- in which case I'm
surprised Light & Motion haven't lowered their price at all; also, I'm
not sure what it means for the NiteRider to be "HID/LED" [according to
performancebike.com, anyway])....

If burn time is an issue get a hub dynamo unot, and then the burn time
is as long as you keep moving. No fiascos with battery charging, no
fiascos with forgetting your lights.
Partner with the LED B&M D-Lumotec Oval Senso plus, switches the lamp on
automagically when it starts getting gloomy so no moving parts on the
switching to break either.

Worth supplementing if you're doing a fast descent on an unlit road and
don't want to slow down, but otherwise good for most stuff. The SON is
the best of the hub dynamos, especially if you've a small front wheel.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old May 2nd 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Prisoner at War

On May 2, 3:31 am, Peter Clinch wrote:

If burn time is an issue get a hub dynamo unot, and then the burn time
is as long as you keep moving. No fiascos with battery charging, no
fiascos with forgetting your lights.
Partner with the LED B&M D-Lumotec Oval Senso plus, switches the lamp on
automagically when it starts getting gloomy so no moving parts on the
switching to break either.

Worth supplementing if you're doing a fast descent on an unlit road and
don't want to slow down, but otherwise good for most stuff. The SON is
the best of the hub dynamos, especially if you've a small front wheel.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

I was looking into just that when I was first considering my 'bent,
but, to my way of thinking, the whole point of a light is its
brightness, and them HID lights are the brightest out there, so it's
HID for me! Besides, the NiteRider claims eight hours at 13.5
watts...even if it's really just five or six hours, that's still long
enough for most real-world applications I can imagine!

Help Me Choose A Headlight Prisoner at War General 70 May 7th 07 07:43 PM
Help Me Choose A Headlight Prisoner at War Techniques 86 May 7th 07 07:43 PM
Help Me Choose A Headlight Prisoner at War Recumbent Biking 62 May 7th 07 07:43 PM
what would you choose? lowkey General 18 October 2nd 05 06:23 AM
help me choose Mart Mountain Biking 6 February 2nd 04 11:17 AM